Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tukwila, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who lived in an apartment for 4 years with only a 110V outlet, I can assure you that you will want to get a UMC by any means possible
I'm wondering if the mobile charger for the Mustang Mach-E will be reasonable to buy from parts shops. It also supports both 120&240 at reasonable amperage, and you'll have an adapter for the J1772 plug.

Unfortunately not for me.

I'm in a townhome where getting a wall connector isn't feasible (dedicated outdoor parking, where a 110v outlet exists within range, but unfortunately an upgrade to a wall connector would involve the HOA). With the recent announcements related to the mobile connector no longer being included (and being out of stock) [1], my only remaining viable option is a supercharger.

[1] Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022]
Seattle City light has announced a new program to install Level 2 charging station curb side. Install is free, you only pay for the KWH. This site has the details and a form to request a station. Installs may start this year

Unfortunately not for me.

I'm in a townhome where getting a wall connector isn't feasible (dedicated outdoor parking, where a 110v outlet exists within range, but unfortunately an upgrade to a wall connector would involve the HOA). With the recent announcements related to the mobile connector no longer being included (and being out of stock) [1], my only remaining viable option is a supercharger.

[1] Mobile Connector no longer included with new cars [posted 04/16/2022]
You can buy ANY L1/L2 EVSE with J1772 plug and use to charge your Tesla as it comes with a 1772 to Tesla adapter. They are all over Amazon. Most dont have the convenience of switchable plugs like the UMC but for a specific home charging option, you don’t need multiple plugs.

For instance, 120/240V up to 16A on 20A circuit. $129. A simple 6-20 to 5-15 adapter gives you multiple options for under $150.

And...the requirements are pretty severe. Permission of property owner and/HOA. No off-street parking. Trivial to cancel by NIMBYs
Are you talking about the Seattle street chargers scheme or the situation with MDUs and their management? Those MDUs typically don’t have HOAs.

I see nothing in the City Light scheme that allows NIMBYs to oppose the city utility doing what it wants on their poles and in the public right-of-way. It sounds like a great idea to me.

Are you talking about the Seattle street chargers scheme or the situation with MDUs and their management? [...]

I see nothing in the City Light scheme that allows NIMBYs to oppose the city utility doing what it wants on their poles and in the public right-of-way. It sounds like a great idea to me.

All requests for a Curbside Level 2 EV Charger must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible:
* [...]
* The requestor lives at the location, or
the requestor is the property manager or property owner of the location, or
the requestor has the consent of the frontage property owner(s) for the location.
** If the requestor does not own the parcel, the property owner or homeowner's association must agree to the request.
* [...]
* For chargers in front of single-unit dwellings, the requestor's property must not have access to off-street parking such as a driveway, carport, garage, or similar facility. Single-unit dwellings include single houses per parcel as well as duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, townhomes, and accessory dwelling units
* [...]
* The requestor or property resident must currently own or lease a battery-electric vehicle or state that they are planning to buy or lease a battery-electric vehicle within the coming 12 months.

City Light will not install the charging station if more than 50% of the neighboring property owners voice opposition.

So ... uh ... I see something that allows NIMBYs to oppose the city utility doing what it wants on their poles and in the public right-of-way.

Now if Seattle would just get off their butt and encourage businesses to host L2s in their parking locations/garages. Every garage around town would have 10 to 20 level 2 stations if Seattle came out and footed the bill. Instead I see the lone charger at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is "out of order" (removed from the Blink network for use) and has been for months and I see a number of garages downtown that don't have chargers. Even around public/private areas like the Space Needle there are only a handful of chargers when there should be way more.

Now if Seattle would just get off their butt and encourage businesses to host L2s in their parking locations/garages. Every garage around town would have 10 to 20 level 2 stations if Seattle came out and footed the bill. Instead I see the lone charger at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is "out of order" (removed from the Blink network for use) and has been for months and I see a number of garages downtown that don't have chargers. Even around public/private areas like the Space Needle there are only a handful of chargers when there should be way more.
The Seattle City Light L3 Chademo\CCS charger by my condo was vandalized back in March. Still inoperable.

Just now
PXL_20220507_170434587.jpg