TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Tumwater, WA

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Araman0, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Araman0

Araman0 Member

#1 Araman0, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Thanks again to Resolute Soul for another tip.

Looks like Tumwater is being looked at for a Supercharger at the Pilot Travel Center.

Address: 2430 93RD AVE SW TUMWATER WA 98512-1027

Permit Link

This permit is just for the fencing enclosure for "Equipment related to a Tesla EV charging station". The permit was filed by Tesla, Inc in October and has yet to be approved.

EDIT: If the link above doesn't work, follow this link and put "10/30/2018" as the application date.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. Yarder

Yarder Member

I've been looking and calling city offices for months. But, not since October! Well done! Just a fudge South of the main city area. Easy on/off from I5 either direction.

• Like x 1
  3. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

• Funny x 2
  4. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

haha... nah, but could you imagine if he had the time... Lots to share and more to come...

• Like x 2
  5. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

I have it on good authority that the permit is approved... Hopefully this baby will break ground in 2019...

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

Perfect

• Like x 1
  7. Yarder

Yarder Member

Well, according to the expiration date of the permit, which has been paid for, is April 28. So, that's the date we should all look for.

The location is only 17 miles away from the Centrailia Supercharger. 75 miles or so to Issaquah. But, for me, it means I can go round trip to the Puyallup fair and back!

And I could now to Yakima, when that one opens, then to Richland and on to Pullman! WOO HOO!

• Like x 1
  8. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah I really want that Yakima one. We’ve got friends in Prosser and that would just be so helpful.

• Like x 1
  9. NHK X

NHK X Member

Odd that they placed so close to Centralia... my prior guesses were up in the Lacey area... but more superchargers the better.

10. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

That's the expiration date of the application for the permit, which hasn't been approved yet. Nor has it been paid for (Maybe that was a typo in your comment and you meant to say "hasn't beeen"?). Once the permit is actually issued it will have a new expiration date. So I wouldn't take the April 28th date as indicative of anything. But regardless, I would pay more attention to a building permit for the supercharger site instead of the fencing permit. Only I haven't been able to find an actual building permit yet. I also searched WA's L&I site. No dice, but that wouldn't usually show up til later in the process if I'm understanding correctly. Anyone have any better luck?

11. Araman0

Araman0 Member

I searched all of 2018 and 2019 (month by month given their convoluted search tool) and this was the only reference to Tesla, or "charg" which would show up in any supercharger permit.

There's some signs that electrical permits are managed in a seperate database, so that could be one explanation.

12. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

For going from Ocean Shores to Yakima, I don't see how this is any more helpful than charging in Centralia.

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I believe the poster was just excited that Tumwater, WA will enable one common trip, and then Yakima, WA, slated for this year, will enable another.

• Like x 2
  14. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

#14 ReddyLeaf, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Looking at the satellite image, the place is full of cars. I can’t figure out where they will put the stations. Is this real or something new, where EVs outnumber ICE? Will they expand outside the current parking lot? Somebody stop by and look at that fence.

15. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

Agree with ReddyLeaf. Unless Tesla is knocking some trees down to expand the parking lot, my guess is Permanent ICE situation.

16. Yarder

Yarder Member

"For going from Ocean Shores to Yakima, I don't see how this is any more helpful than charging in Centralia."

Yea, when the Yakima SC opens up, then the trip to Pullman will go Olympia, Yakima, Tri Cities and then Pullman. A much different route. I'm especially excited about Tumwater as it will allow for a round trip to South Seattle and back. I went to the Puyallup fairgrounds not long ago, and I can go direct from Aberdeen, but no extra power to mess around at all.

Just totally pumped about the new SC !

• Like x 2
  17. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Handles potential congestion at Centralia during peak times and enables the shortest range vehicle "$35k M3" access to more routes. Not everyone has a 100kWh battery...

18. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Should be good Pilot I'm sure is portfolio agreement.

19. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

No "fence" just yet. I'd imagine the permit was for an enclosure not a "fence".

• Informative x 1
  20. Resolute Soul

Resolute Soul Member

Depending on the city in Washington State the electrical permits are either governed by the local jurisdiction or the WA L&I, in this case WA L&I. When it is a WA L&I electrical permit the contractor pulls the permit just before or just after the start of construction, as it is an online application and considered "over-the-counter" so you will not find any reference to these permits prior to the start of construction.

The link below is a list of all WA cities that govern their own electrical permitting process.

City Electrical Inspectors

• Informative x 3