Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tumwater, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Handles potential congestion at Centralia during peak times and enables the shortest range vehicle "$35k M3" access to more routes. Not everyone has a 100kWh battery...
You guys seem to be missing the point. Simply go to Google Maps and route from Ocean Shores to Yakima. The fastest route (and shortest mileage) goes right by the Centralia supercharger. It does not go by this new Tumwater location.

I'm happy there is another supercharger going in here, but to say that it helps enable travel from Grays Harbor to Eastern WA is just wrong.

The fastest route (and shortest mileage) goes right by the Centralia supercharger. It does not go by this new Tumwater location. [...] to say that it helps enable travel from Grays Harbor to Eastern WA is just wrong.

The difference between US-12 and I-90 is a whopping 5 minutes, practically equal. Also US-12 is a 2 lane unprotected highway vs I-90 which is a 6 lane divided interstate. The larger variables, especially during winter are traffic, weather and desired stops. I-90 offers far more options for rest and food and you're far less likely to get stuck behind an RV for 50 miles going well under the speed limit. Assuming you drive say 10mph over the speed limit I-90 is faster.

Reactions: Resolute Soul
The difference between US-12 and I-90 is a whopping 5 minutes, practically equal. Also US-12 is a 2 lane unprotected highway vs I-90 which is a 6 lane divided interstate. The larger variables, especially during winter are traffic, weather and desired stops. I-90 offers far more options for rest and food and you're far less likely to get stuck behind an RV for 50 miles going well under the speed limit. Assuming you drive say 10mph over the speed limit I-90 is faster.
I am aware of all of that. In any case, the addition of this Tumwater supercharger is not an appreciable gain for this route.

You guys seem to be missing the point. Simply go to Google Maps and route from Ocean Shores to Yakima. The fastest route (and shortest mileage) goes right by the Centralia supercharger. It does not go by this new Tumwater location.

I'm happy there is another supercharger going in here, but to say that it helps enable travel from Grays Harbor to Eastern WA is just
Does that mean this is blue dot worthy?

Sorry, "blue dot worthy"?

I was the civil engineer for this site when it was built in 2006/07 (I have a copy of the plans at my desk.) Hard to believe there would be capacity for chargers here without removing truck parking (which ain't happening).

Seems like a good place for a Megacharger, though.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Couple of things on the proposed Tumwater location. I went by there last week to see if there was any progress. Nothing going on at all.

On the property is a McDonalds and a Pilot truck stop station with a travel convenience store. The property line goes a ways back and there's two rows of tractor/trailers. The front side is a major gas station. In just driving around, there's not much for any type of sizeable Supercharger parking. I can tell you right now, that we will be ICD'd out a lot there. Probably not for very long, but it is going to happen as folks fill up, move their rig and go inside to the McDonald's or the convenience store.

Also, in looking at the paperwork..... the fee's for the permit have not been paid. AND the permit expires in just over a month on 04/28/2019.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Couple of things on the proposed Tumwater location. I went by there last week to see if there was any progress. Nothing going on at all.

On the property is a McDonalds and a Pilot truck stop station with a travel convenience store. The property line goes a ways back and there's two rows of tractor/trailers. The front side is a major gas station. In just driving around, there's not much for any type of sizeable Supercharger parking. I can tell you right now, that we will be ICD'd out a lot there. Probably not for very long, but it is going to happen as folks fill up, move their rig and go inside to the McDonald's or the convenience store.

Also, in looking at the paperwork..... the fee's for the permit have not been paid. AND the permit expires in just over a month on 04/28/2019.
Thanks for the update. Your observations seem to agree with @dano-oly on the site.

I stopped there in May I think and didn’t see anything. Doesn’t seem like a great spot for a supercharger tbh.

I think it's good enough. Food, restrooms, random crap you can buy, and getting on and off the freeway at that location is actually incredibly fast. Better than centralia IMO. Years ago I'd stop there sometimes in my ICE due to the quality of the mini mart and bathrooms.

This bums me out. There are times coming back from Portland where I'd love to skip Centralia. Even the future Tacoma location would be nice.

I have the M3 SR+ and on a full charge from Lynnwood I could definitely make it all the way to vancouver WA. Coming back the other way there's no super charger in that last 25% of the drive. :)