Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turkey Lake, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My best charge rate yet

Attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 427
I was there last weekend. Plugged in at 1A. After making a quick pit stop, I went back out to find another car had plugged in at 1B, and my car was no longer charging. I unplugged and moved to 4A and the other guy came back out to his car. His also had stopped charging. I guess somehow the charger had overloaded with two cars on the same unit.

i also politely mentioned to the guy that he should not park on the same supercharger unit if others are available. He said he wasn't aware of that courtesy.

Got my charge pretty quickly and moved on!

We're planning a trip to S. FL. I see that the Orlando SC is along side FL's Turnpike. If the only access to the SC is via the turnpike, it'll be most unfortunate. I consider FL's toll road system to be most out-of-state driver unfriendly and gouging. There are no pay both's and they charge another fee to mail you a bill. I would make every effort to by-pass Orlando.

We're planning a trip to S. FL. I see that the Orlando SC is along side FL's Turnpike. If the only access to the SC is via the turnpike, it'll be most unfortunate. I consider FL's toll road system to be most out-of-state driver unfriendly and gouging. There are no pay both's and they charge another fee to mail you a bill. I would make every effort to by-pass Orlando.

Yes there are. I drove to this SC from Universal Studios and just needed a handful of quarters to get on/off the turnpike. I think each toll was either $1 or 75 cents.

If you think the Turnpike tolls are bad, just travel a few of the toll roads in the Orlando area.

Unless you are planning to visit the Mouse, no need to go through Orlando on the way down. Just head down I-95 to your favorite S Fl locations.

I was there last weekend. Plugged in at 1A. After making a quick pit stop, I went back out to find another car had plugged in at 1B, and my car was no longer charging. I unplugged and moved to 4A and the other guy came back out to his car. His also had stopped charging. I guess somehow the charger had overloaded with two cars on the same unit.

i also politely mentioned to the guy that he should not park on the same supercharger unit if others are available. He said he wasn't aware of that courtesy.

When I pulled in on last Friday evening, 2 owners came over quickly to let me know that they had problems with the stall I was in. I plugged in anyway, just to give it a try, and all was OK. Neither of the owners new about the advantages of alternating stalls for the best performance. Apparently they had both pulled in at about the same time right next to each other in the south-end stalls and neither was was able to charge.

Exactly the same story with stall 3A and 3B this past Friday evening @Lawsteve. reported it to Tesla. I also politly informed the driver of the same stall charging issue, which he was not aware. We need to keep educating as we go.

Neither of the owners new about the advantages of alternating stalls for the best performance.

It's not just "alternating" -- you have to actually look at the stall numbers.

Older SC installs are: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B where "alternating" should work.

But in many more recent SC installs, Tesla has set them up to be:

1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B

And some are even different from that, like Hamilton Marketplace where the paired stalls are back-to-back, so you don't want to "alternate" at all.

If you "alternate" on the newer style SC installs, you'll end up pairing like this, which is really bad:

or

So it takes more effort and explanation than "alternating". I've suggested here and to Tesla that since the As and Bs don't really matter (what matters is who gets there first).. that they should just eliminate the As and Bs, and move to a color based system with the paired stalls the same color. So if someone is already on a blue marked stall, move to a stall where both colors are open, and just pick one. That's alot easier than trying to explain the 1A, 2B system to people. At one SC stop, the guy already there was trying to explain the pairing to me, but he got it totally backwards, saying that there are two banks, A and B, so if someone is already on an A stall, use a B stall. Of course that fails if they're both on the same numbered stalls.

I don't remember how the Turkey Lane chargers are set up, I think they're the new interlaced style numbering.

Turkey Creek is set up with the arrangement you describe as the older style. I was in the first space, station 1A and the other guy pulled in right next to me, labeled 1B. Definitely alternating stations there.

When I discovered the problem, I moved to 4B.

@HankLloydRight. Thanks for the info about some of the newer superchargers, I haven't noticed that. ---I Like andrewket's idea. But, the color coding scheme would be better than what we now have.

Thanks. Yes, there's lots of potential ideas floating around to improve supercharging experiences. They range from very simple (like my idea with the color coding paired stalls, just requires some colored stickers); to having in-car notices popup to tell the driver which stall is optimal (requires at least some new software at each SC location); to the stalls having red/yellow/green lights telling approaching users which stall is available for optimal charging (requires hardware and software added to each SC site).

There's also been talk about a "reservation" system, so you can tell Tesla (or your car tells Tesla) that you will be approaching a SC site in 60 minutes, and the system will figure out among the cars there now, and all other cars approaching the SC site, and create an orderly queuing system to optimize charging based on the approaching cars' states of charge, distance to destination, temperature/weather, etc... and the system will assign SC stalls accordingly. But that's a lot of work.