TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Tusayan, AZ

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest Supercharger locations' started by Chuq, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

There has been reports of a supercharger sighting in Tusayan (Grand Canyon Village), on the south side of The Grand Hotel. 8-10 stalls.

No photos provided though - and it isn't on Tesla's planned map, so thought I would ask for additional confirmation here before adding to supercharge.info.

It looks like about here:
    Google Maps

Surely someone nearby wants to go for a drive? :)

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
  2. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Bump...

I guess it's not somewhere that people are driving past all the time... but still .. no one?

3. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I think the nearest TMC members are in Flagstaff which is over an hour away. And like you say, basically no one is "just passing through" this area. There are of course many tourists who visit Grand Canyon, especially in summer, but not many are bringing their Tesla. It's a difficult place to get in and out of with a Tesla until this thing gets built.

4. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I would've thought you'd have popped up there within 48 hours, @PLUS EV :)

I'm cautious about adding sites to supercharge.info with no evidence, as I've added one in a similar situation before (someone "saw the stalls from their car as they were driving past" - but further reconnaissance found nothing). I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and add this one - maybe the appearance on the map will cause someone to go have a look? :)

5. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

Have you tried contacting the hotel directly for confirmation? They may be willing to tell you what is happening there and even send you photos.

6. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Yes, dearly needed. I do think someone will pop up there or call soon.

7. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

#7 tmoz, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    I just called and the lady on the phone said "Yes, we are working on that."

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  8. azred

azred Active Member

I appreciate posters in Australia finding developments a few hours from me in Arizona. Obviously I need to get out and about more often and as soon as that Supercharger opens, an overnight to Grand Canyon is in order. Thanks to OP for this great news!

• Funny x 3
  9. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

This was true until last year. One had to charge full in Flagstaff, and be careful driving around in the park, so one could comfortably reach Page on the way out.

This year I found 3 Destination Chargers in the Yavapai Lodge parking lot that made the trip very easy.
    Even if you are spending only a couple of hours on the rim, that should give you enough juice to continue on your trip.
    Several non-tesla chargers have been added as well.

Of course, an SC there is a welcome change. I do wish that Tesla made it a priority to improve Tesla access to all National Parks: Glacier, Big Bend, Guadelupe come to mind.

• Like x 2
  10. FreqFlier

FreqFlier Member

I was in Tusayan just last weekend, staying at the hotel directly across the street (the Best Western). I wish I'd known, I would have looked. The BW has two outstanding destination chargers, incidentally, two at over 70 amps, which is nearly Urban Supercharger power all by themselves. Nonetheless I'm really glad to hear about this one, because I want to go to the South Rim more often in future.

11. aus1ander

aus1ander Member

We have a member of our local club in Minnesota post this in our Facebook group: "We just got back from our first cross country trip in our 85d. Grand canyon was awesome. There's a few destination chargers with the j chargers at a Lodge in the village. And I did see the supercharger under construction just south of the park. Looked like it was almost done."

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
  12. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Banned

70A is not 72kWh. Not even close.

• Like x 4
  13. thehark

thehark Member

We just saw this today. The chargers are clearly visible but there is still orange construction netting cordoning off the area. I'll try to get some pictures when we had past that spot again today.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. thehark

thehark Member

Ok, good new. Really good news!!! This is more massive than I first saw. There are a total of 12 supercharging stations and 8 destination chargers. Nothing is working yet but if you drive a Tesla, the Grand Canyon will soon be just another stop that you don't really have to plan for. Pretty exciting. Uploading images now...

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  15. thehark

thehark Member

Attached Files:

• Like x 9
    • Love x 5
    • Informative x 4
  16. thehark

thehark Member

BTW, I took a quick video as well. Any ideas how to post that here?

17. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Most people post it to Youtube and then share the link here which automatically embeds it.

18. thehark

thehark Member

Not sure why I didn't think of that. Here you go...

• Like x 2
  19. thehark

thehark Member

I'm here until tomorrow, so if you need more pics or closeups or what-have-you, let me know and I'll walk across the street and try to get them before we ship out.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Tusayan, AZ

Along ... AZ-64. That's it.

To: Page, AZ (AZ-64, US-89) - 141.8 miles
    To: Blanding, UT (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, US-191) - 256.5 miles*
    To: Poncha Spring, CO (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, CO-12, US-285) - 511.6 miles*
    To: Farmington, NM (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, US-64, NM-170, local) - 288.4 miles
    To: Flagstaff, AZ (AZ-64, I-40) - 80.5 miles
    To: Wickenburg, AZ (AZ-64, I-40, AZ-89, AZ-89A, local, AZ-CR-10, AZ-CR-15, AZ-89, US-93) - 184.6 miles
    To: Quartzsite, AZ (AZ-64, I-40, AZ-89, AZ-89A, local, AZ-CR-10, AZ-CR-15, AZ-89, US-60, I-10) - 261.4 miles
    To: Kingman, AZ (AZ-64, I-40) - 166.5 miles
    To: St. George, UT (AZ-64, US-89,US-89A,AZ-389/UT-59,UT-9,I-15) - 278.6 miles

South side of the Grand Canyon.

* Route passes through Kayenta, AZ. Just sayin'.
    (To: a grocery store in Kayenta, AZ (AZ-64, US-89, US-160) - 156.2 miles)