Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tusayan, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tusayan, AZ

Along ... AZ-64. That's it.

To: Page, AZ (AZ-64, US-89) - 141.8 miles
To: Blanding, UT (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, US-191) - 256.5 miles*
To: Poncha Spring, CO (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, CO-12, US-285) - 511.6 miles*
To: Farmington, NM (AZ-64, US-89, US-160, US-64, NM-170, local) - 288.4 miles
To: Flagstaff, AZ (AZ-64, I-40) - 80.5 miles
To: Wickenburg, AZ (AZ-64, I-40, AZ-89, AZ-89A, local, AZ-CR-10, AZ-CR-15, AZ-89, US-93) - 184.6 miles
To: Quartzsite, AZ (AZ-64, I-40, AZ-89, AZ-89A, local, AZ-CR-10, AZ-CR-15, AZ-89, US-60, I-10) - 261.4 miles
To: Kingman, AZ (AZ-64, I-40) - 166.5 miles
To: St. George, UT (AZ-64, US-89,US-89A,AZ-389/UT-59,UT-9,I-15) - 278.6 miles

South side of the Grand Canyon.

* Route passes through Kayenta, AZ. Just sayin'.
(To: a grocery store in Kayenta, AZ (AZ-64, US-89, US-160) - 156.2 miles)
Let's all start chanting, "Kayenta. Kayenta Kayenta". Never heard of the place until I tried going from Flagstaff to Blanding.

Not the only change since the last Google Street View shot!

upload_2019-7-2_17-53-27.png

upload_2019-7-2_17-53-0.png

Google Maps

This was true until last year. One had to charge full in Flagstaff, and be careful driving around in the park, so one could comfortably reach Page on the way out.

This year I found 3 Destination Chargers in the Yavapai Lodge parking lot that made the trip very easy.
Even if you are spending only a couple of hours on the rim, that should give you enough juice to continue on your trip.
Several non-tesla chargers have been added as well.

Of course, an SC there is a welcome change. I do wish that Tesla made it a priority to improve Tesla access to all National Parks: Glacier, Big Bend, Guadelupe come to mind.
BTW, there is a NEMA 15-40 plug at the back of the El Tovar Hotel, right next to the South Rim. It’s in a space marked for EV charging, and is free to use.

Let's all start chanting, "Kayenta. Kayenta Kayenta". Never heard of the place until I tried going from Flagstaff to Blanding.

Grand Canyon IS a nice addition and helpful for those who are making a quick trip to Grand Canyon, but I wish they'd put even a few of those Superchargers in Kayenta.

The Kayenta, AZ Supercharger has been labeled as "Coming Soon" for years now. Kayenta is an important stop between most of Arizona and SW Colorado (Cortez, Crested Butte, Durango, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Montrose, Ouray, Telluride) It lies in the middle of a Supercharger desert and on the preferred route between these areas. Unfortunately in a Tesla you have to take a long indirect route via Gallup, New Mexico. The NM route wastes a significant amount of time, energy, and wear on the car. The Grand Canyon Supercharger will not help in this regard.

Kayenta also happens to be adjacent to Monument Valley which is a great road trip.

Any suggestions as to the best way to submit a Supercharger request to Tesla? Email, phone number... maybe Elon's Twitter?
monument-valley-view-from-hunts-mesa_shutterstock_680.jpg

Attachments

• monument-valley-view-from-hunts-mesa_shutterstock_680.jpg
    monument-valley-view-from-hunts-mesa_shutterstock_680.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 36
Grand Canyon IS a nice addition and helpful for those who are making a quick trip to Grand Canyon, but I wish they'd put even a few of those Superchargers in Kayenta.

The Kayenta, AZ Supercharger has been labeled as "Coming Soon" for years now. Kayenta is an important stop between most of Arizona and SW Colorado (Cortez, Crested Butte, Durango, Grand Junction, Gunnison, Montrose, Ouray, Telluride) It lies in the middle of a Supercharger desert and on the preferred route between these areas. Unfortunately in a Tesla you have to take a long indirect route via Gallup, New Mexico. The NM route wastes a significant amount of time, energy, and wear on the car. The Grand Canyon Supercharger will not help in this regard.

Kayenta also happens to be adjacent to Monument Valley which is a great road trip.

Any suggestions as to the best way to submit a Supercharger request to Tesla? Email, phone number... maybe Elon's Twitter?
View attachment 431351
I was able to go from Flagstaff to Blanding in an S 85D by going 60 mph for most of the stretch. For grins, we stopped in Tuba City to plug in to the destination charger for 10 mins and 4 more miles of range. Bluff would be a secondary nice to have, as would Kanab, UT.

A Supercharger East Valley somewhere would be nice. Scottsdale shouldn't get all the glory. Two of them especially so close together at Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons. Also the sorry number of outlets available for apartment dwellers and even an Urban style of charger would help.
It would be nice if restaurant centers had destination chargers. I don't think superchargers are the answer for apartment dwellers. My son in San Diego is an apartment dweller and going to a SC was a pain. His company moved to a building which had 8 KW chargers in the basement with a 4 hr limit. Basically a morning shift and an afternoon shift. I think that would work much better, but requires parking lots to add them. Remember when wifi was rare? I hope these chargers become ubiquitous.
Nevertheless, a SC on the east side of town wouldn't be a bad idea, especially once globe gets one.

Is this location open yet? I have lots of people that rent my car traveling to the Grand Canyon. This is going to help out a lot!
The latest pic from PlugShare I could find was from July 6th, in which the location looked the same when it was discovered. Right now it is probably awaiting current or even open, but no one has noticed it yet.

Everybody email Tesla. [email protected].

Tusayan AZ and Kayenta AZ will open up massively the possibilities in that area.

Tusayan will allow journey to begin at Page or Flagstaff without any need to backtrack to Flagstaff for charging when visiting the Grand Canyon.

If Tusayan is open, I will reroute my Yellowstone road trip to visit the Grand canyon on the way back to SoCal.