Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Tuscaloosa, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is everyone thoughts on the lack of SuperChargers in Alabama. While traveling from Jackson to Atlanta last week. I was a little nervous after not fully charging (80%) in Meridian. I ended up stopping in Tuscaloosa at a Destination charger but that took forever just to get a few miles. It would have been really nice to have a SuperCharger in Tuscaloosa since that is a good stop before going into Birmingham. Also the station in Birmingham at 2am doesn't seem the safest place to be.

If Auburn has a SuperCharger shouldn't Tuscaloosa have one.... RollTide!!! :)

I just stayed at the hotel with the destination charger (Hotel Indigo). Coming from Tupelo...on 80% max...yeah I was a little nervous...but I still had 50 miles range. Tesla really needs to get some stations up mid route somewhere on those. You know once the T Town charger is up...it will be crowded like Birmingham's as well...so hopefully they go big on it with stalls.

Reactions: D-ATL
I just stayed at the hotel with the destination charger (Hotel Indigo). Coming from Tupelo...on 80% max...yeah I was a little nervous...but I still had 50 miles range. Tesla really needs to get some stations up mid route somewhere on those. You know once the T Town charger is up...it will be crowded like Birmingham's as well...so hopefully they go big on it with stalls.
Wow that's really good. What model are you driving? I have a 2017 MX 75D. On max charge I'm only getting around 225 miles of range and have never come close to actually getting that.

I want to say at 80% it's like 256 miles? Tupelo to T Town is like 128 miles so not really edge of your seat...but I'd always like to see multiple options since I came from Jackson TN supercharger. If Tupelo was down for example, I would have been spending the night there.

• Funny
Reactions: D-ATL
I want to say at 80% it's like 256 miles? Tupelo to T Town is like 128 miles so not really edge of your seat...but I'd always like to see multiple options since I came from Jackson TN supercharger. If Tupelo was down for example, I would have been spending the night there.
If I was getting 250 miles on a max charge I would be okay. I've learned over the years how to make it (225 mi) stretch (i.e. use regen braking going down hill, ride behind the big trucks, try to keep a constant speed, etc) but when charging stations are down and there's traffic / accidents. I start to get nervous in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: cbrigante2
Yeah I think the biggest range boost is speed. Going say 65-70 max keeps the range as high as you can expect on a highway. What the long range battery gives me is more flexibility to really blast down the road at 75+. I normally keep it around there and not worry about high battery consumption. It's also a bit more piece of mind in harsh cold winters up here. I don't know if I have enough confidence in super long road trips in the dead of winter..as my 2018 lacks a heat pump to max cold weather range. I think it would be fine...but it would require planning before leaving to be sure on some routes. :)

Yeah I think the biggest range boost is speed. Going say 65-70 max keeps the range as high as you can expect on a highway. What the long range battery gives me is more flexibility to really blast down the road at 75+. I normally keep it around there and not worry about high battery consumption. It's also a bit more piece of mind in harsh cold winters up here. I don't know if I have enough confidence in super long road trips in the dead of winter..as my 2018 lacks a heat pump to max cold weather range. I think it would be fine...but it would require planning before leaving to be sure on some routes. :)
I get right around rated range at 70-74 mph on the highway. I think the aero covers really help.

Here's a long leg with average speed of 68mph and 103% of rated range: TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

This past March, though, I did get first-hand experience with a cold weather road trip. The cold does cut into range, at least for the first leg. It seemed to do much better after that, but I was also heading south.

Here is one of the first legs of that trip, with only a 76% efficiency: TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

The second leg improved that to 84%, even with battery pre-conditioning being on for 44% of that leg: TeslaFi.com Shared Drive

Reactions: cbrigante2
I've used one of the three destination chargers at the Hampton Inn in Columbus, MS - once when I was staying there and other times not. The front desk said that they are infrequently used. Just pop in and hook up, if you are are having a little range anxiety. No assistance is needed by hotel staff.

Driving from NC to Columbus, a future supercharger in Tuscaloosa is something I really look forward to. From a outsider's viewpoint, the location on the southside of the McFarland & US 11 intersection would be nice.

Either those truck stops off Buttermilk Road and I-20/59 or the Pilot off Skyland or that shopping plaza off AL-69/Skyland would be perfect for a supercharger. I used to live in the Atlanta area and have family in Mississippi, and Tuscaloosa is roughly the halfway point, so its a logical area for a supercharger location. I also think there should be one in Hoover off I-459 so drivers can bypass DT Birmingham and I-20/59 can be pretty bad through the city. I plan on driving to Jackson at some point from Maryland, so this is personal to me, LOL. I hope a location opens in this area at some point.

Reactions: CapsEngineer