Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Twinsburg, OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA

The existing Twinsburg Sheetz gas station is being demolished and rebuilt. With the remodel they are also planning on adding some number of superchargers and universal charging stations (7 total) in the parking areas. Assuming the timeline mentioned in the article holds, it sounds like the Sheetz won't be reopened until the end of the year (5 month project with a start date in July). I wouldn't expect the superchargers to be built until after that point or maybe there will be some coincident work once the Sheetz is close to being finished. So, likely this will be a 2022 supercharger if it stays on track.

What: Tesla is planning to install some number of superchargers at the remodeled Sheetz station right off I-480 in Twinsburg.
Address: 2495 E Aurora Rd, Twinsburg, OH 44087

GPS (guess): 41.311733, -81.449531

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

Interesting - it's not on the tesla.com/findus map and is only 4 miles east of the existing Macedonia Commons supercharger. Not being familiar with the area...I wonder if the Macedonia supercharger is quite busy? Or perhaps this is an opportunistic addition to take advantage of the Sheetz remodeling.

From the mytownneo page linked in the original post:

One major addition behind the building will be the installation of seven supercharging stations for electric vehicles. Balco said Tesla and two other companies are partnering in that effort, and the stations will accommodate all makes of vehicles.
It isn't clear whether there will be separate Supercharger units or just non-Tesla chargers with multiple connectors. I've heard of some chargers supporting the Tesla connector in addition to CCS, but haven't seen one myself.

The Macedonia supercharger station recently underwent repairs / upgrades. It was notorious for having issues with several of the chargers, but hopefully that's been fixed. That station isn't especially busy anyways. My app shows one of the six chargers currently in use. I've never noticed it being more than half full.

It isn't clear whether there will be separate Supercharger units or just non-Tesla chargers with multiple connectors. I've heard of some chargers supporting the Tesla connector in addition to CCS, but haven't seen one myself.
Yeah EVgo have been adding Tesla connectors to their 50 kW CCS/CHAdeMO stations. They started in California and have added them to locations in Seattle, Dallas, Houston, and the Washington DC area. They are planning on adding Tesla connectors to locations across the country. Other than EVgo, I'm not aware of other companies with combined Tesla/CCS/CHAdeMO stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh

The Macedonia supercharger station recently underwent repairs / upgrades. It was notorious for having issues with several of the chargers, but hopefully that's been fixed. That station isn't especially busy anyways. My app shows one of the six chargers currently in use. I've never noticed it being more than half full.
I've stopped at Macedonia for a couple years (haven't needed to drive that direction), but have used in on multiple times where it was either full or almost full such that with the older V2 design people were being throttled due to paired stalls.

Reactions: edseloh
I am all for more Superchargers in the Cleveland area but this seems odd. This site is so close to the Macedonia charger it really does not help the Tesla owners in northern Ohio or people traveling through.

Cleveland needs a SC on the east side (Mentor, Chardon for instance) and Akron needs on badly.

I've stopped at Macedonia for a couple years (haven't needed to drive that direction), but have used in on multiple times where it was either full or almost full such that with the older V2 design people were being throttled due to paired stalls.
The upgrades at Macedonia bumped the KW rating to 150. (They used to be 120kw). I don't know whether they have independent feeds for the chargers, but they installed new transformers, so that sounds promising.

Interesting - it's not on the tesla.com/findus map ...
With the recent Q3 update a few days ago, the Twinsburg location has now been added to Tesla's map with a Q4 2021 targeted opening date. If that target is to be achieved, it's likely there will be some overlap of supercharger build and Sheetz remodel work. Just have to wait and see.

1628221727997.png

I am all for more Superchargers in the Cleveland area but this seems odd. This site is so close to the Macedonia charger it really does not help the Tesla owners in northern Ohio or people traveling through.

Cleveland needs a SC on the east side (Mentor, Chardon for instance) and Akron needs on badly.
Offered a location just off I-90/OH306 in Mentor to Tesla two years ago, but never got a response...

I think it wasn’t Tesla’s decision to put the Supercharger in Twinsburg but rather a call made by Sheetz. Since they are rebuilding the place and have unused parking space in the back, why not put EV chargers there? There are a lot of Tesla owners in Twinsburg, Solon and Hudson. It’s not uncommon to see three Tesla’s at once at an intersection. The Supercharger will certainly increase the traffic at that Sheetz location! And it will help the Macedonia Supercharger too - it’s often full.

Last edited:
I think it wasn’t Tesla’s decision to put the Supercharger in Twinsburg but rather a call made by Sheetz. Since they are rebuilding the place and have unused parking space in the back, why not put EV chargers there? There are a lot of Tesla owners in Twinsburg, Solon and Hudson. It’s not uncommon to see three Tesla’s at once at an intersection. The Supercharger will certainly increase the traffic at that Sheetz location! And it will help the Macedonia Supercharger too - it’s often full.
Local Tesla owners in Twinsburg, Solon and Hudson is not the reason for THIS location. If that’s where you Live, Please charge at Home.
This Supercharging location is for those Traveling Through!!!

Local Tesla owners in Twinsburg, Solon and Hudson is not the reason for THIS location. If that’s where you Live, Please charge at Home.
Welcome to TMC!
No need to worry, this Supercharger won’t be too crowded, at least initially. I am sure there will be enough charging spots for both locals and those traveling through. :)

Personally I am charging at home almost exclusively unless I am on a road trip, but I do see various scenarios where a local Supercharger would come very handy. Let me name a few:
  1. Apartments without on-site charging
  2. Houses that don’t have Level 2 charging installed yet.
  3. Situations where you need to charge quickly before a road trip.
  4. Multiple EV’s at one house with a single charger.
  5. Power outage.
  6. Construction

A case in point: there is a lot of road work being done in the area. Earlier this year our street was closed for almost three weeks with no access to the garage. All cars were required to park on the adjacent street. Having a nearby Supercharger would’ve been awesome! ;)

Personally I am charging at home almost exclusively unless I am on a road trip, but I do see various scenarios where a local Supercharger would come very handy. Let me name a few:
  1. Apartments without on-site charging
  2. Houses that don’t have Level 2 charging installed yet.
  3. Situations where you need to charge quickly before a road trip.
  4. Multiple EV’s at one house with a single charger.
  5. Power outage.
  6. Construction
7. You have an issue with your home charging setup; UMC and/or HPWC fails and you are waiting on a replacement.

I actually know someone that lived near me that had this situation where his HPWC failed. In his case he was able to charge with his UMC, albeit on a slow 120V outlet, but got him through in the pinch. For someone that relies on the UMC, they can be left without any home setup while they wait for a new UMC (which has been out of stock from time to time).

Reactions: DriveMe
Yes I see those signs at every supercharger I go to "No local use, travelers only" 😂. Tesla does not want local money paying for the supercharger only out of town money please.