Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Twinsburg, OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL what the hell are you taking about? It's for any and all Teslas and soon to be any and all electric car.
Tesla’s own web site uses language which explains Superchargers as connecting dots between cities. Sure if you live in an apartment or condo that doesn’t have Level 2 charging and you want to degrade your battery by only fast charging, feel free. But as most owners do not drive 200+ miles per day, and most owners have L2 charging at home, the need to supercharge “near your home” should be minimal.

Part of why Tesla superchargers are reaching higher than normal capacity is that people often use them to bolster their charge unnecessarily. I’ve seen this first hand, having spent the last 9 years as a Tesla owner. You’re 100% correct that any Tesla owner is entitled to use the charger, but if you have L2 at home and don’t NEED the SpC then it makes more sense to leave it open for those who need it.

Same argument could be made when you visit your local shopping center that has L2 charging. I’ve owned Nissan Leafs and Mini Cooper SE that are 75-120 mile range EVs, yet been blocked not by ICE’d cars but by 200+ mile range EVs , especially Tesla. Looking at the tags, these are cars within their own county, so clearly close to home (as most grocery shopping is done “close to home”). Yet they are charging on a L2 charger, and in some cases I’ve asked the owners if they show up and they admit they “just wanted the good parking spots” — yet for me, in my other non Tesla EVs over the years, I’ve -needed- that 30min of 32A charging just to get home, or to work, or whatever. Again, dealing with 1/2 or in some cases 1/3rd the range of a Tesla, those chargers are a necessity. Same goes for someone passing though town, who NEEDS that SpC to get across the country to another city, versus the locals.

There are use cases for all scenarios, so I do not discount the fact that some locals may need a supercharger (heavy driving day, need to bolster your charge for a 2nd round of driving, where perhaps you have 300+ miles in a single day that still spiders out from a central hub “near home” etc). But those cases are outliers for most users on a daily basis. People who supercharger “just because they can” make the load heavier, and can interrupt the lives of others. Charging etiquette is all I think the other reply was suggesting. Not saying “dont use it” just “think before you use it, for those who may NEED it” ….

...There are use cases for all scenarios, so I do not discount the fact that some locals may need a supercharger (heavy driving day, need to bolster your charge for a 2nd round of driving, where perhaps you have 300+ miles in a single day that still spiders out from a central hub “near home” etc). But those cases are outliers for most users on a daily basis...
Quite true.

When I arrive at a supercharger, I'm generally interested in where the other folks have come from, and look at license plates to figure out origins. Most often the majority are simply locals, especially if the SpC isn't immediately adjacent to an interstate highway.

You
Quite true.

When I arrive at a supercharger, I'm generally interested in where the other folks have come from, and look at license plates to figure out origins. Most often the majority are simply locals, especially if the SpC isn't immediately adjacent to an interstate highway.
You guys have way too much time on your hands. If policing people's use of why they are charging and should they be charging is a thing then count me out.

You

You guys have way too much time on your hands. If policing people's use of why they are charging and should they be charging is a thing then count me out.
It isn’t -us- …. It is Tesla’s policy. They never intended for SpC to be used this way. Sounds like the issue is with you— stop thinking of public chargers like you think of gas stations. Power costs more industrial settings (like SpC) and is actually less per kWh from the power company at home. It will -always- be cheaper to charge at home. Not to mention the heat/DC charging degrades your battery. Slower charging will always pay dividends on battery longevity. You don’t have to like it, but that is the beauty of facts — like them or not, they’re still facts. :)

Nope. There was a point when folks were more collegial, and Tesla owners wanted to share their experiences. Easy way to start conversation was to talk about where one was coming from, and where they might be headed. The license plate was a clue...

Traveling the Ohio Turnpike, this doesn't look like a SC that would be too quick & easy to use.
When I saw on the Tesla map that there was a new one coming in that area of the state, I was thinking that they were going to build one at one of the turnpike travel plazas. This is what they are doing on the other side of the state near Toledo. Indianna has also installed them at some of their turnpike travel plazas (e.g., Howe).

Updated construction pictures from today, majority of the new building and fuel pumps are almost done. The two megawatt cabinets are in here, can't say if this will be 7 or 8 stalls since each cabinet supports 4 stalls each. Overall, looking good!!

I'm betting the stalls are in those boxes on the pallets.

PXL_20211227_183219151.MP.jpg
PXL_20211227_183203605.MP.jpg

Tesla’s own web site uses language which explains Superchargers as connecting dots between cities.
I'd suggest you move this discussion to general discussion of superchargers. Suspect you will get lots feedback - not all positive. BTW, sample of one, my MS has more than 75k miles. I almost exclusively charge on SCs. My battery degradation is right at the mid point of norms for the entire fleet - so I dont agree that supercharging wrecks the battery.

I'd suggest you move this discussion to general discussion of superchargers. Suspect you will get lots feedback - not all positive. BTW, sample of one, my MS has more than 75k miles. I almost exclusively charge on SCs. My battery degradation is right at the mid point of norms for the entire fleet - so I dont agree that supercharging wrecks the battery.
You are so correct. I have 128k on 2015 S70. Car was sold with 230 miles range and I currently have 225. I have used suoercharging 80% of my charging and many times up to 100%.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD