Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Two Harbors, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delete if this is not "official" enough, but there is a mention of a new Supercharger in Two Harbors, MN in a Two Harbors city council meeting minutes document: https://cms5.revize.com/revize/twoharbors/20220411084735019.pdf

From that document, on page 3, item number 7:
  • Authorizing the purchase of a rebuilt 750KVA transformer from T & R Electric at a cost of $18,237 for a new Tesla Super Charger in Seagren's Hardware parking lot.

The coordinates for this would be roughly: 47.028287, -91.680814

Your coordinates are in the ShopKo parking lot, according to Street View. Did Seagren's recently buy that location? There's a Seagren's a block away from Castle Danger Brewery, and while I like that combination, there's no parking lot to speak of.

Your coordinates are in the ShopKo parking lot, according to Street View. Did Seagren's recently buy that location? There's a Seagren's a block away from Castle Danger Brewery, and while I like that combination, there's no parking lot to speak of.
Those coordinates were just an approximation, but if you look at the building in the parking lot:
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 4.14.03 PM.png

I clicked on the random parking spots at the north end of the lot since that seems like a very likely place Tesla would put in Superchargers.

Delete if this is not "official" enough, but there is a mention of a new Supercharger in Two Harbors, MN in a Two Harbors city council meeting minutes document: https://cms5.revize.com/revize/twoharbors/20220411084735019.pdf

From that document, on page 3, item number 7:
  • Authorizing the purchase of a rebuilt 750KVA transformer from T & R Electric at a cost of $18,237 for a new Tesla Super Charger in Seagren's Hardware parking lot.

The coordinates for this would be roughly: 47.028287, -91.680814

Since that meeting was at the end of March, are you able to follow up with the town and see if that got approved? If so, I'd say it's enough for a blue dot. Or, if you can reach out to the town and see if they have any information regarding the project (permits, etc.), I'd say that's also blue dot worthy.

For what it's worth, a 750 kVA transformer would typically power an 8-stall V3 Supercharger site.

Reactions: Chuq and corywright
I emailed the mayor of Two Harbors about the note in the meeting minutes and he responded a few minutes ago (response attached below). Unfortunately not a permit or anything more concrete as of now. I’ll see if I can reach anyone from the hardware store to see if they have any information to share.

View attachment 821990
I'm good with that. 👍

Yeah this is an odd one - it's pretty close to the Duluth/Carlton SC's. Would be way more valuable up around Silver Bay / Tofte / Lutsen / Grand Marais, but it's good to see Highway 61 getting some love.
Agreed,. This one is far too close to Duluth to be of any significant value in connecting Thunder Bay, ON., to the SC network in Minnesota and hence the remainder of the USA. In the depths of winter it would be very marginal for range given temperature, topography of the region and winds that are going to be against travel one way of the return journey.

Agreed,. This one is far too close to Duluth to be of any significant value in connecting Thunder Bay, ON., to the SC network in Minnesota and hence the remainder of the USA. In the depths of winter it would be very marginal for range given temperature, topography of the region and winds that are going to be against travel one way of the return journey.

I think Tesla is trying to get away from people having to rely on Duluth. 4 stalls in a parking garage that requires you to go into the hotel for parking validation is a major inconvenience. Two Harbors gives people the opportunity to skip Duluth entirely, even in the winter. I expect a station to eventually open in Grand Marais to make a better connection to Canada.

MarcoRP posted a teaser image of a site plan on Twitter about a week ago but would not divulge the location other than to say MN and WI each had one newly discovered locations not previously shown on the Tesla Find Us map. One was in the NE MN region near Duluth. However, the site plan he posted was of a 12 stall onsite build. (Not PSU's) I have to assume the site plan was for the WI location. He was playing the Guess where this is game. At this point, I'm not sure why he is holding back on posting the location. Time to spill the bean's.

@Chuq, @corywright

Two Harbors is a great location for accessing the North Shore. Reducing reliance on the Duluth supercharger is a big deal; it is just too old, only 4 stalls, a pain to access, and it is over-crowded on weekends. Two Harbors makes it much easier to stay in any of the North Shore resorts and not have to heavily rely on L2 charging. Plus, it makes a round trip to Grand Marais much more doable. Plus, Grand Marais WILL eventually get its own supercharger (I really think it will be in 2023) making the whole region (all the way up to Thunder Bay) much more accessible!

I emailed the mayor of Grand Marais this morning asking about any Supercharger (or DCFCs in general) plans and he responded fairly quickly with this:

The city has been pursuing a Tesla supercharger for roughly 8 years, the entire time I have been acting as mayor. We repeatedly are told that the traffic is not sufficient to warrant it. Thus the level 2 chargers were installed.
I recommend contacting Tesla and telling them it's time to install one since we haven't gotten very far with them.

How would one go about voicing support to Tesla in favor of a Supercharger in Grand Marais?

I think it's important for Tesla drivers to actually go up there. Tesla has an incredible amount of data from the fleet, and they install Superchargers along popular routes to popular destinations. It's a chicken and egg scenario where Tesla owners have to visit a place before Tesla installs infrastructure. I experienced that in north-central Washington State, relying on public L2 for years before Superchargers enabled access to a lot of popular destinations.

It's only a matter of time, but I think things can be sped up if owners make an effort to take a trip up there this year. The Minnesota Tesla Owners Club carries a lot of clout. The president of the owner's club likely has a contact at Tesla. Reach out and communicate the community's interest, but back that up with actual trips to Grand Marais.

I go up to the north shore on a pretty regular basis, and actually see plenty of Teslas while along the north shore. Most of the bigger resorts and cabins have L2 chargers that get used quite a bit, but the two CHAdeMO chargers (in Lutsen and Grand Marais) are...flaky at best. I'm definitely excited to see any Tesla development in this area. I'm honestly a little surprised there isn't already an urban supercharger in Lutsen. (Similar to the one in Aspen)

Reactions: minnesnowta
It may the chicken and the Egg thing. But it needs to be “The field of dreams”. “If you build it, they will come”. I have trips I want to take in, including a circle tour of Lake Superior. The Canadian side is all good. The South side of Lake Superior needs 1 or 2 more SuC locations to make it a hassle free drive. Houghton, and Ironwood MI. Minimum. Something in Ashland, WI would be welcomed too.

Here's what a location in Two Harbors opens up for me: I'm seriously tempted to get a hitch adapter for my TM3 now. It's only the MR.

I'm in far SC MN and we love camping up near Grand Marais. Right now we tow a 15' vintage TT that's less than 2,000lbs with a 2010 Outback. With just the Two Harbor's location if my range get absolutely savaged to more than 1/2 I can easily make it stopping at St Peter, Minneapolis, Hinkley and Two Harbors. I just need an electrified campsite, then. Sure, lots of stops, a little more time than towing with the Subaru but after paying $67 this morning to fill the tank in that thing I could about pay for the hitch adapter with a single camping trip. Yes, yes, I know the TM3 is not officially rated for towing in the US. I live dangerously.

Another location in Grand Marais would be icing on the cake but I think a lot of people are seriously under-estimating how beneficial this Two Harbors location is.