Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tyngsborough, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm visiting Nashua, NH this week - drove up from Georgia with my TM3 LR. I'm kind of surprised at how many Tesla's I see here, yet the closest supercharger is in Littleton MA. The Tyngsboro SC will be a great location for Nashuans when it comes online. Still, it's surprising at how few there are here in NH.
There's a bunch of charging spots in Nashua. See plugshare - you may need to turn on "restricted locations". I used the 277V HPWC at 100 Innovative Way one night in a pinch (22kW, 80A@277V), but it has since been flagged "restricted". I guess they don't want non-tenants getting free electricity (makes sense).

Stopped by yesterday and there was no construction in this mini mall yet. There was a lot of work across the street at Pheasant Lane mall where 4 charging cabinets for Electrify America were being installed. Not sure of the logic of the placement given that there are EvGo chargers at that mall that have been there for several years.
Well, the old EVGo units are 50kW max, and EA is installing 150kW and 350kW units...

Stopped by yesterday and there was no construction in this mini mall yet. There was a lot of work across the street at Pheasant Lane mall where 4 charging cabinets for Electrify America were being installed. Not sure of the logic of the placement given that there are EvGo chargers at that mall that have been there for several years.
With the 3 DC charger systems, close together, and the advent of Tesla<->CCS1 adaptors in the next year, it will be interesting to see is any price/power competition develops.

Reactions: chjch and kayak1
With the 3 DC charger systems, close together, and the advent of Tesla<->CCS1 adaptors in the next year, it will be interesting to see is any price/power competition develops.
There isn't going to be any price competition between Tesla and the others, why would there be. Tesla doesn't want CCS cars charging at Superchargers they are only opening up the network so that they can qualify for government subsidies. For a CCS car to use a Supercharger they will have to buy an adapter. The CHADeMO adapter costs $450, there is no reason to assume that Tesla will charge less than that for the CCS car to Tesla adapter, that alone will limit the number of people who try and use the Superchargers with CCS cars. As for rates, Tesla has said that they are going to charge CCS cars by the minute not by the KWh and they are going to charge a higher rate for slow charging cars. Even if Tesla provides a CCS plug or two it's not going to be attractive to CCS car owners unless they have no other choice. Selling electricity is a money losing business, Tesla built the Supercharger network to sell cars not as a profit center. The cost of building the Superchargers is baked into the price of the car. Because they don't make anything off of a non-Tesla they are going to price the electricity high enough so that it's profitable which will make the price substantially higher than it will be for EA which is trying to build a business based on selling electricity.

Nothing visible for supercharger at this site. Electrify America at the mall looks to be complete but not yet online.

Attachments

• BCCF7705-2B11-40BA-A28F-1A7C7F46B603.jpeg
    BCCF7705-2B11-40BA-A28F-1A7C7F46B603.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 157
I have yet to find any actual Tesla supercharger plans or other information on the Tyngsborough website. However, I did find more information on the national grid pole permit that led to this location being identified. See attached from NG's permit application. This should help a bit when people do drive-by's looking for signs of change. It might also help determine if this new pole that was permitted has in fact already been installed (proposed location is approximate).

1635993396370.png

I have yet to find any actual Tesla supercharger plans or other information on the Tyngsborough website. However, I did find more information on the national grid pole permit that led to this location being identified. See attached from NG's permit application. This should help a bit when people do drive-by's looking for signs of change. It might also help determine if this new pole that was permitted has in fact already been installed (proposed location is approximate).

View attachment 729110
That's exactly where I thought they would put it, next to the ex-Outback. If anyone from Tesla reads this forum, this would be a great location for a service center and store. The real estate should be cheap, lots of the stores are vacant and will never be filled again, it would serve both MA and NH, and for the store it's right next to Route 3 which is a far better test drive road than the two store locations they already have. They ought to tear down the Outback building and put a service center there.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tga and Tdreamer
That's exactly where I thought they would put it, next to the ex-Outback. If anyone from Tesla reads this forum, this would be a great location for a service center and store. The real estate should be cheap, lots of the stores are vacant and will never be filled again, it would serve both MA and NH, and for the store it's right next to Route 3 which is a far better test drive road than the two store locations they already have. They ought to tear down the Outback building and put a service center there.
A store in Tyngsborough is utterly worthless to people in VT, ME, or NH (NE states with sales tax rates less than MA). It is no more useful to us than the Dedham or Peabody stores. We still have to pay MA sales tax on a car if delivered to the owner in MA; that is why they are sending buyers in these 3 states to NJ.

Reactions: Nikxice
A store in Tyngsborough is utterly worthless to people in VT, ME, or NH (NE states with sales tax rates less than MA). It is no more useful to us than the Dedham or Peabody stores. We still have to pay MA sales tax on a car if delivered to the owner in MA; that is why they are sending buyers in these 3 states to NJ.
Not true. There is no sales tax on cars in MA, there is a registration fee which is equal to the sales tax. If you are from NH you wouldn't be paying the fee because it's collected when the car is registered which in the case of non-MA residents happens in their own states not in MA. MA does it this way so that MA car dealers don't lose business to NH car dealers, if it was a sales tax then everybody in MA would buy a car in Nashua (I've bought three cars there over the last 30 years because it's convenient, I didn't save anything of fees because they were all registered in MA). By the same token they don't want to discourage people from Nashua from buying cars in Lowell.

Not true. There is no sales tax on cars in MA, there is a registration fee which is equal to the sales tax. If you are from NH you wouldn't be paying the fee because it's collected when the car is registered which in the case of non-MA residents happens in their own states not in MA. MA does it this way so that MA car dealers don't lose business to NH car dealers, if it was a sales tax then everybody in MA would buy a car in Nashua (I've bought three cars there over the last 30 years because it's convenient, I didn't save anything of fees because they were all registered in MA). By the same token they don't want to discourage people from Nashua from buying cars in Lowell.
Over the years I've done several cross-MA-boarder transactions, as a resident of MA, CT, and NH. Most states work the way you describe, but MA (and CA) absolutely does not. If you take delivery of a car within MA, sales tax is due, period. Your state of residency/state of registration is irrelevant.

It's right there on the Mass Dept of Revenue site, Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax

Nonresidents Buying Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts
If a nonresident of Massachusetts buys a motor vehicle in Massachusetts and takes title to and/or possession of the vehicle in Massachusetts, the sale is subject to the Massachusetts sales/use tax, regardless of whether the nonresident intends to use the motor vehicle in or outside of Massachusetts.

If a NH buyer buys a car in Lowell, legally they have to pay MA sales tax. The only way around it is for the dealership to deliver the car to the buyer outside of MA. I have a friend who worked as a driver for a MA Chevy dealer. In addition to cross-dealer trades, he delivered a bunch of cars to people's homes in CT and NH, where they signed the final paperwork and handed over a cashier's check to avoid MA tax.

That's why Tesla sends NH buyers to NJ. Originally it was Mt Kisco, NY, and they gave a NJ temp tag, but NJ called them on it, so now we have to go to NJ to get a NJ temp tag.

EDITS: stupid grammar mistake, clarified MA Chevy dealer to out of state buyer.

Last edited:
Over the years I've done several cross-MA-boarder transactions, as a resident of MA, CT, and NH. Most states work the way you describe, but MA (and CA) absolutely does not. If you take delivery of a car within MA, sales tax is due, period. Your state of residency/state of registration is irrelevant.

It's right there on the Mass Dept of Revenue site, Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax

If a NH buyer buys a car in Lowell, legally they have to pay MA sales tax. The only way around it is for the dealership to deliver the car to the buyer outside of MA. I have a friend who worked as a driver for a MA Chevy dealer. In addition to cross-dealer trades, he delivered a bunch of cars to people's homes in CT and NH, where they signed the final paperwork and handed over a cashier's check to avoid MA tax.

That's why Tesla sends NH buyers to NJ. Originally it was Mt Kisco, NY, and they gave a NJ temp tag, but NJ called them on it, so now we have to go to NJ to get a NJ temp tag.

EDITS: stupid grammar mistake, clarified MA Chevy dealer to out of state buyer.
In hindsight, apologies to @bjrosen if I came off as overly belligerent; this is just a topic that really winds me up. The stupid thing is I doubt the Commonwealth gets any more tax revenue out of this rule; any out of state buyer will take their business elsewhere (hurting MA dealers) or just use the easy workarounds (costing the dealers more money). It's really just old "Taxachusetts" giving the old one finger salute to non-residents.

Assuming your right about the sales tax they could always do NH deliveries across the street by renting a few parking spaces at the Pheasant Lane Mall. My assumption that they wouldn't charge tax to out of state buyers is based on the fact that you pay the tax to the registry, I may have misinterpreted what's going on.

Assuming your right about the sales tax they could always do NH deliveries across the street by renting a few parking spaces at the Pheasant Lane Mall. My assumption that they wouldn't charge tax to out of state buyers is based on the fact that you pay the tax to the registry, I may have misinterpreted what's going on.
I doubt simply owning or renting some real estate across the street in NH would work. The ENTIRE building property has to be in NH as per the discussion about the Pheasant Lane Mall earlier in this thread. MA is RELENTLESS in pursuing state border sales tax issues, RELENTLESS.

I doubt simply owning or renting some real estate across the street in NH would work. The ENTIRE building property has to be in NH as per the discussion about the Pheasant Lane Mall earlier in this thread. MA is RELENTLESS in pursuing state border sales tax issues, RELENTLESS.
No sales taxes are collected at the Pheasant Lane Mall, all buildings are in NH. Some of the parking lot is in MA but most is in NH. Tesla's are sold online not in the stores, the transaction is entirely online. All we are talking about is the delivery, if they deliver it to your home in NH or to a parking lot spot in NH then it happened in NH.

In a tangentially-related theme, I wonder if there's a way to suggest a sales/service location. West Lebanon, NH has a closed JC Penney store. Right off I89, 1 hour from Concord, 1.5 to Burlington, < 1 mile from the local supercharger. Lots of Teslas in the area, and lots more demand. Several area police departments are getting nagged to go EV, but are reluctant to pick Tesla without local service (yes, I know mobile is "almost good enough", but the attitude for the ones I've spoken to is "almost" doesn't cut it).

View attachment 729110

Had to pick up skis down their last night and I didn’t see any work going on near the proposed location. This must be getting pushed to Q1 2022 or later.

Reactions: Tdreamer