Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tyngsborough, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022-05-27 18.00.49.jpg

Looks like it's ready to go, they just have to turn it on.
View attachment 818442
Lot still needs striping, and probably sealcoating over the area before that. And as of late last week the transformer pad was still empty (and nothing coming down the utility pole at the street either which will happen after the transformer). This could possibly still happen this month if Eversource does their thing quickly.

I'm guessing the pavement work will happen when Hanover and/or Meredith are ready for the same work to save expense bringing the equipment up and back from Rhode Island multiple times.

Oh, and btw, thanks for the update - always nice to have others visit these in-progress sites looking for and reporting changes :)

In pictures from earlier posts, and on site, look for the three yellow bollards protecting the currently empty concrete pad. I presume the regular Tesla SuperCharger contractors are done and we just have to wait for the power company... and various paving and such although maybe they will turn it on before the paving stuff is 100% complete.

Based on the activity here I fully expect that within 6-12 hours of it being active for charging we will see a post here. :)

Reactions: Tdreamer
In pictures from earlier posts, and on site, look for the three yellow bollards protecting the currently empty concrete pad. I presume the regular Tesla SuperCharger contractors are done and we just have to wait for the power company... and various paving and such although maybe they will turn it on before the paving stuff is 100% complete.

Based on the activity here I fully expect that within 6-12 hours of it being active for charging we will see a post here. :)
The contractor that did the supercharger work also does their own resurfacing work. But yes, the supercharger build itself is 100% done, and waiting on Eversource at this point. Transformer lead times are long these days - lots of supercharger construction on the east coast reached this milestone and then stalled - some for months - waiting for transformers. There has been some improvement in the past few months with transformer delivery times, but I think they are still working the backlog. Hanover MA, for instance, is approaching a similar holding point. National Grid services Hanover, and an NG employee I spoke with Friday said other transformers for the commercial construction at that site had just been delivered after a long wait. He didn't expect the Hanover supercharger to get it's transformer for 3+ weeks. I presume both utilities get their transformers from the same suppliers - an assumption on my part - so depending on when it was ordered we could still be in for a wait.

There were no bollards blocking the Superchargers and no signage saying that the Superchargers aren't online, they really should have a rope or something to indicate that they aren't ready yet.
I'd love for them to put covers over the parking signs until the site is ready to use. Would serve multiple purposes in that locations with long waits for energizing and activation wouldn't be needlessly limiting parking opportunities, they wouldn't be training people to ignore the signs and thereby encouraging actual ICE-ing once the site is eventually online, and it wouldn't give false impressions to non-EV folks that no one ever uses the chargers.

I was talking with a guy a year or so ago who was telling me how he knew all the Tesla hype he heard/saw on the news was totally bogus because the supercharger that Tesla built by where he worked was *literally* never in use. He said he saw it all day long and in the 4 months since construction finished he hadn't ever seen it used, not once. I looked up the location and saw that it wasn't live yet and was waiting for the transformer. But, of course, there's no way for the average person-on-the-street to know that. So, some indication it's not usable yet would be nice.

Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer
I'd love for them to put covers over the parking signs until the site is ready to use.
There's an interesting mindset issue here. Tesla's approach, it seems, is that no one would go to a supercharger site unless/until their car tells them to. Thus, no need to mark a site as "not-quite-done", because the car won't bring you there. (Thus, also, no need to show you the superchargers on your route that your car didn't select - see conversation in the Supercharger - Ellsworth, ME thread.) Basically anyone who sees this thread disproves Tesla's approach - but we're a minority.

@mociaf9's other points - about being a good citizen towards non-Tesla users - aren't addressed by Tesla's approach, either.

I'd love for them to put covers over the parking signs until the site is ready to use. Would serve multiple purposes in that locations with long waits for energizing and activation wouldn't be needlessly limiting parking opportunities, they wouldn't be training people to ignore the signs and thereby encouraging actual ICE-ing once the site is eventually online, and it wouldn't give false impressions to non-EV folks that no one ever uses the chargers.

I was talking with a guy a year or so ago who was telling me how he knew all the Tesla hype he heard/saw on the news was totally bogus because the supercharger that Tesla built by where he worked was *literally* never in use. He said he saw it all day long and in the 4 months since construction finished he hadn't ever seen it used, not once. I looked up the location and saw that it wasn't live yet and was waiting for the transformer. But, of course, there's no way for the average person-on-the-street to know that. So, some indication it's not usable yet would be nice.
This strip mall is currently super duper dead, so even without superchargers no one would be parking here regardless.

Reactions: Tdreamer