Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tysons, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps having each type would fit everyone's needs, though if charging speed is of such a concern why get stuck in traffic into and out of the mall? Proper destination stations (i.e. 10kW+) are my preferred type for, uhm, a destination.

Not for me if they are installed like Tysons Corner's destination chargers are installed. They have 4 wall chargers on a 100A circuit and another 3 wall chargers. If you get one on the 4-100A circuit and all 4 are occupied you only get 25% of the charging capacity. Considering that you can get 44 mile per hour on a 60A circuit with a wall charger you end up with far less than that split 4 ways. I'm sure it would be slower than a Volta Charger that yields any where from 23 to 36 mph of charge.

I got 36 miles per hour of charge when I was the only one there - split 4 ways would be abysmal.

Not for me if they are installed like Tysons Corner's destination chargers are installed. They have 4 wall chargers on a 100A circuit and another 3 wall chargers. If you get one on the 4-100A circuit and all 4 are occupied you only get 25% of the charging capacity. Considering that you can get 44 mile per hour on a 60A circuit with a wall charger you end up with far less than that split 4 ways. I'm sure it would be slower than a Volta Charger that yields any where from 23 to 36 mph of charge.

I got 36 miles per hour of charge when I was the only one there - split 4 ways would be abysmal.

You aren't splitting 36 miles per hour across four vehicles, since the Model 3 can only use 48 of the 80 amps available.

Charging alone, a Model 3 would pull 48 amps. With two vehicles charging, each would get 40 amps. With four vehicles charging, each will get 20 amps or about 16 miles per hour.

This arrangement is certainly the best option when power supply is limited, as you can serve more vehicles during busy periods. It's also less likely that someone's car will finish charging before they get back to it, increasing overall utilization.

Yes, it's still slow, but not as slow when it's busy, but not as slow as your post suggests. Tysons certainly needs more destination charging ... I'd love to see this same setup in each of the five garages.

Note there's also a NEMA 14-50 in one of those spots without the wall connector, so you can plug in there and get the full 32 amps that your mobile connector can provide, regardless of how many people are charging at the wall connectors.

Reactions: vdiv
Hey, there's a bunch of electrical work going on behind the Walmart off of Westwood Center Drive. Not saying it's related, but hey, here are some pics ...

I know they are adding chargers (non-Tesla) in the garage on the same level as the Walmart entrance / escalator, but theses pics are on the road behind the garage, not sure what they're doing. Ideas? I assume they're just the transformers / etc. for the chargers going up on the garage.

(Trouble uploading photos, see all here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T46LxJ7W8ZmnjPYL6 )

IMG_20190826_124255.jpg IMG_20190826_124345.jpg MVIMG_20190826_124335.jpg IMG_20190826_124230.jpg IMG_20190826_124341.jpg

Hey, there's a bunch of electrical work going on behind the Walmart off of Westwood Center Drive. Not saying it's related, but hey, here are some pics ...

I know they are adding chargers (non-Tesla) in the garage on the same level as the Walmart entrance / escalator, but theses pics are on the road behind the garage, not sure what they're doing. Ideas? I assume they're just the transformers / etc. for the chargers going up on the garage.

(Trouble uploading photos, see all here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T46LxJ7W8ZmnjPYL6 )

View attachment 452775 View attachment 452777 View attachment 452778 View attachment 452779 View attachment 452782
Very interesting. It’s definitely EV charging, but I don’t know who... could be Tesla. I’ll cruise through and check it out tomorrow.

Reactions: JoshM

View attachment 452775 View attachment 452777 View attachment 452778 View attachment 452779 View attachment 452782
Very interesting. It’s definitely EV charging, but I don’t know who... could be Tesla. I’ll cruise through and check it out tomorrow.
I'm sure it's for Electrify America. That last picture has a shipping label with "Job Name: EA 200220" and EA's map lists a future station at that location.

That would be amazing. I live right near there. I will drive by and check it out, but what did you see thus far??

I have work crews at 1900 and we got wind of it on the job site after a meeting. The source is very reliable. The site would be like MGM Harbor place, and to me is undesirable if you have to pay to park and charge. But anyone who drives this area knows there are Tesla's everywhere. The demand will be high.

With this and the EA site above I would think the infrastructure costs for Reston Town center are way to high to justify the installation costs. FYI the first company in to a site has to pay all the infrastructure cost FOR EVERYONE. No one is willing to be first with a site that big. This is the same as cell phone towers back in the day until the law was changed. You had short smaller poles going up, with one carrier. Once changed we now have taller poles with multiple carriers sharing the same site (co-locate). Something has to change here for EV's to make it fair. Tesla wont pay for EA's infrastructure at Reston. I can see that a mile away.

For the site above I would say it's not Tesla based on one picture. The gear is GE. Tesla, as far as I can tell is exclusive Square D gear. I have not seen another brand used yet, just like Panasonic batteries in the cars. Plus the conduit looks to small, almost like it would be level two chargers, or small DC chargers.

I’m not really understanding the comment about the Reston town center. What would make the costs higher than every other supercharger site in any garage like Leesburg or National Harbor? I have to think that Boston Properties would want them to install one there in order to attract more people to the businesses of the town center. It makes much much more sense than the parking lot for the metro.

I’m not really understanding the comment about the Reston town center. What would make the costs higher than every other supercharger site in any garage like Leesburg or National Harbor? I have to think that Boston Properties would want them to install one there in order to attract more people to the businesses of the town center. It makes much much more sense than the parking lot for the metro.

The cost of the infrastructure with Dominion Power. A large vault needs to be built and it wont be cheap. Worse who ever wants it first or the most will have to pay the entire cost. The second company will get to walk in for free and tap that power. It's not fare to the first installer. should Tesla and Electrify America work jointly together to get it done the site could happen.

There is primary power in the ground at the town center, but the network transformers have no place to be set. You cant just set one in the garage without out proper fire protection, IE the vault.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Just cruised through. No activity in the garage, however, there are Dominon markings in the surface parking area between Garage B and Route 7.

These marking span approximately two dozen parking spaces. There are no markings in the adjacent grass or near the existing transformers.

This might be a big nothing burger, although I’m hopeful that it’s indicative of Superchargers coming to this location. I’m my opinion, this surface lot is a much better location than the lower level of the garage.

4F5140FF-14C8-46A5-86DA-F8E27BA46389.jpeg
7AA198A2-38FF-4DE9-BA44-3E0DF624B383.jpeg
6FEC5CD2-9E20-4EC8-883E-713B80487437.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Big Earl according to Google Street View these exact same markings were there in Sept 2019 so who knows what's going on. My guess is the extended period of time indicates uncertainty on the part of at least one of the parties.

Interesting. They looked pretty fresh. Definitely not weathered or faded like I would expect markings from 5+ months ago to be.

Just cruised through. No activity in the garage, however, there are Dominon markings in the surface parking area between Garage B and Route 7.

These marking span approximately two dozen parking spaces. There are no markings in the adjacent grass or near the existing transformers.

This might be a big nothing burger, although I’m hopeful that it’s indicative of Superchargers coming to this location. I’m my opinion, this surface lot is a much better location than the lower level of the garage.

View attachment 517214 View attachment 517216 View attachment 517217

@Reddy Kilowatt any crystal ball readings on this location?