TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Tyson's Corner

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by MXFan, Jun 21, 2018.

1. MXFan

MXFan Member

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

@BlueShift We've got one!! Nice find MXFan !!

3. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Look's like it's going to be in the Tyson's mall that's going to suck...

• Like x 1
  4. MXFan

MXFan Member

Looks like it's being installed by the same people that did the Springfield Town Center one.

5. paulkva

paulkva Member

+1 nice find indeed. Unfortunately the FIDO web site doesn't (yet) give us enough detail to determine how MUCH it's going to suck. If you plug the parcel ID (0294 01 0035A) into Fairfax County you can see that it covers nearly all of the mall property, except the newest buildings along the plaza by the Metrorail bridge, and interestingly, Lord & Taylor. So at least we know a few places where it WON'T be.

Anyway, some of those garages and lots are better than others. If they replace the area where they have the HPWCs now, for example, that'll likely be a big mess, as would anywhere else in that garage or the other one by the theaters. The garages on either side of Macy's tend to be a little quieter when I'm there, though still busy. I can't say anything about the southernmost garage (near Bloomingdale's); I don't think I've been in that one in years, if at all.

And regardless of where at the mall they put it, all bets are off for most of November and all of December.

6. Redmiata98

Redmiata98 Member

Actually, it puts it under Hollisters next to Thing Remembered. Suppose they will keep the HPWCs under Nordstrums there?

7. crashvt

crashvt Member

Great find @MXFan Looks like the Permit is not approved. I believe Springfield took about 5 month between initial submission to approval. It will be interesting where in the Mall they will place these.

8. Lanny

Lanny ~

Note: Electrical Review #1, Fast Track submission was denied on 6/19/18. "More time is required to complete an electrical review."

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 5.04.39 PM.png

• Informative x 2
  9. Reddy Kilowatt

1961 Chain Bridge Rd. is the mall. Last time I heard it is going to be in Bloomingdales parking garage that parallels Route 7. I'll have to start looking around.

They lock the garages on off hours to keep the Metro riders away. Parking is always an issue there.

Tysons is always busy and stupid busy at Christmas.

Hey but I will use it non stop, that is for sure. I go through there a lot.

• Like x 2
  10. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

I wish the Springfield Mall was a little nicer in terms of store selection. I'd have no reason to go to the zoo that is named Tysons....

11. mickey6

mickey6 Member

Really excited. Wish they would install the SCs outside top floor where the AMC theaters are

12. Bobbyducati

Bobbyducati Member

figured these would be at the service center, tysons mall is a PITA. owell

13. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Most excellent. My preferred location would be the south side of garage C, one level above the current Tesla wall connectors, in the area closest to the large emergency generator. This area has yellow parking indicator lights for some reason, has its on entrance and is usually pretty empty. For reference, the entrance to this area is under the Towers Crescent pedestrian overpass. There is also a small outdoor parking lot in that area that would serve a Supercharger station quite well.

3A0F21E4-077F-4F8B-BE77-EF1E0A5E4D47.jpeg 47A8D37A-B563-4AE0-84A4-6545433D825F.jpeg

• Like x 1
  14. crashvt

crashvt Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. Big Earl

Ahh. That explains where they’ll be located. I’ll have to keep an eye on the progress.

Correction to that article... Springfield is 18 stalls, not 16.

16. Big Earl

• Informative x 2
  17. Reddy Kilowatt

18. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Thanks to @Lanny for obtaining the site plan. Supercharger Planned for Tysons, Virginia | PlugInSites
    It is not a good location as it severely lacks ventilation, both at the supercharger cabinets tucked in underneath the ramp to the second level, and the stalls positioned in a corner surrounded by a solid wall. This may have the same excessive heat issue as the late Bethesda Supercharger, if not worse as it is five times as large.

19. FireLT

FireLT Member

From what I was told, it is supposed to be in Bloomingdales garage and is supposed to be the largest supercharger in the country. They are expecting to be a total of 40 stalls.

20. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

We've known for awhile that it was going to be at the mall. There is insufficient space and power capacity at Tyco. Tyco doesn't even have enough space for all the deliveries they're doing. Adding a SpC there would be a disaster.