Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tysons, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is certainly plenty of room for them to expand, both in garage B and elsewhere around the complex. It'll be interesting to see how much utilization the 10 Supercharges get, considering that the 8 wall connectors are often full.

Personally, I'd like to see at least 4 wall connectors in each of the five mall garages (A, B, C, D and E), allowing patrons to choose their preferred parking location. Installation would be straight forward and inexpensive, since each garage has its own electrical room... just put the wall connectors on a shared 100 amp circuit in the closest spaces and call it a day. All of the garages have been converted to LED lighting in recent years, so there should be plenty of electrical overhead.

In addition, the mall is severely lacking J1772 public charging stations. If they decide they don't want to subsidize power for shoppers, which I can understand, I'd like to see them partner with Chargepoint and get some J1772 stations installed in the garages. I'd actually prefer this to Tesla wall connectors if it's a one-or-the-other situation.

I would totally agree Tysons totally lacks on public chargers. there are chargers down in the new parking garage down below Earl's but you have to pay to park there which I'm not going to do.

In talking with the sales people at Tysons Corner, two different employees told me that this would be a 45 stall installation. I said "45? Really?" They double confirmed.

That guarantees only one thing. There will definitely NOT be 45 stalls. Those are probably the same employees who swore to me that the tax credit would end 31 Dec 2017, or that there would not be a performance version of the Model 3, or that the Alcantara was made from cows. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: boaterva and vdiv
Got to add to the above 'estimates', wonder if people are mishearing 4 to 8 or something... 48 seems insane. We're not Beijing or Kettleman...

Will be nice to get this pin filled in, but we still have a lot of '2018' spots with no traction!

I certainly didn't mishear. I wonder if they'll do several small installations throughout the property. It wouldn't be the first mall to get more than one set of Superchargers. Montgomery Mall in Maryland is due to get 12 on the east side and another 12 on the west side.

Reactions: Skipdd and boaterva
Having some in each garage would definitely be nice.... I was checking back to see if there was any progress on this, what with my current home-charging issue. Thought I might need to run to a Supercharger to fill up! But then the 'picky princess' (as my girlfriend calls her) woke up and started liking the home power again. Sigh.... (Tesla is still looking into why the car charger stops liking the home juice periodically.)

They will be redundant. A single charger would be enough with number of roadsters. The new roadsters will have supercharging
I can see potential arguments both ways (I'm not necessarily endorsing any of these arguments though):
  • 10 supercharger spaces won't be enough to satisfy demand, especially as the Model 3 ramp-up continues, so the L2 charging is still helpful unless/until they do expand the supercharger further -- and even then, the relatively few non-supercharge-capable Teslas would still benefit from keeping the L2 charging in place
  • Some Tesla drivers might want to plan a charge in conjunction with a longer trip to the mall, and they don't want to hog a supercharger or get hit with idle fees
  • The location of the L2 charging is prime space that the mall probably wants to make available to the general public again

We can speculate all we want -- collectively, TMC posters have a strong tendency to do so! -- but likely none of us knows all the details of the agreement between Tesla and the mall. Or, more precisely, anyone reading this who does know is extremely unlikely to post about it, let alone post authoritatively about it. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I expect that they’ll leave the wall connectors in place. Tesla rents the space and it’s a good way to advertise at passers-by. Slower and free charging is also attractive for people who are going to spend several hours at the mall, like when seeing a movie or having a meal. Personally, I’d like to see wall connectors and J1772 stations installed in every garage along with more Superchargers in garage E (the opposite end of the mall from the current plans).

More charging options are always a good thing.