Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Upsala, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called the Shell service station in Upsala, and they said that they are in the process of getting a Tesla Supercharger installed there - the lady I spoke to said she thought it was unlikely that it would be done in time for Christmas, to give an idea of timelines, however it does appear that we have filled one of the last gaps on the Trans-Canada Highway. Yay!

Google Maps link to the Shell: Google Maps

Last edited:
I just called the Shell service station in Upsala, and they said that they are in the process of getting a Tesla Supercharger installed there - the lady I spoke to said she thought it was unlikely that it would be done in time for Christmas, to give an idea of timelines, however it does appear that we have filled one of the last gaps on the Trans-Canada Highway. Yay!

And there is the Trans-Canada completed... of course, after Tesla activates them. Added to Supercharge Info and awaiting photos

Upsala, ON

Along National Highways: TCH/ON-17
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

TCH/ON-17

To: Thunder Bay, ON (Construction) - 135.8 km
Diversion: 0 km
To: Nipigon, ON (Construction) - 231.4 km

To: Sudbury, ON - 1121.7 km

The final-location-kinda along the TCH (to Truro, NS).
Largest known gap between known locations between Rocky View, AB and Sudbury, ON is Whitewood, SK to Brandon, MB at 189.3 km. Levis, QC to Riviere-du-Loup, QC is 190.7 km.
Only Batchawanna Bay, ON and Renfrew, ON are not at least under construction.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and JustMe

“In the process”, could mean talks or agreements have been initiated or completed. It does not mean physical construction had begun though. Did the lady say actual construction was underway? I want to see it under construction too, but we shouldn’t jump the gun without some activity by a contractor of some kind.

“In the process”, could mean talks or agreements have been initiated or completed. It does not mean physical construction had begun though. Did the lady say actual construction was underway? I want to see it under construction too, but we shouldn’t jump the gun without some activity by a contractor of some kind.
That was a paraphrase of the conversation I had, not a direct quote - the impression I had from the call was that there was construction work in progress, but she also did not explicitly say that e.g. there were trucks tearing up the parking lot as we spoke, so I would say there's about a 75% chance that work is in progress but I have no explicit confirmation either.

If you feel like drilling for more information, the phone number is on the Google Maps page I linked above :D

Upsala, ON

Along National Highways: TCH/ON-17
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

TCH/ON-17

To: Thunder Bay, ON (Construction) - 135.8 km
Diversion: 0 km
To: Nipigon, ON (Construction) - 231.4 km

Hmm, 242 km from Ignace to Thunder Bay. Certainly doable in the summer in the LR. My fault for the info in the Brandon saying last, Sorry. Should have said last from Kenora to Victoria. Just thinking like a separatist I guess although, I did think Ontario was completed.. Been a long time (35+ years) since I last drove #17 to "The Soo", so have no remembrance how bad the road is. Last time I drove it the Stones were having their FIRST farewell tour.

That was a paraphrase of the conversation I had, not a direct quote - the impression I had from the call was that there was construction work in progress, but she also did not explicitly say that e.g. there were trucks tearing up the parking lot as we spoke, so I would say there's about a 75% chance that work is in progress but I have no explicit confirmation either.

If you feel like drilling for more information, the phone number is on the Google Maps page I linked above :D

“Trucks tearing up the parking lot” seems valid enough then. I wonder how deep the frost is already. They’ve already had a month of well below freezing temps up there. January is 2 months early.

“Trucks tearing up the parking lot” seems valid enough then. I wonder how deep the frost is already. They’ve already had a month of well below freezing temps up there. January is 2 months early.
I think you misunderstood that post. Dave commented that the person he spoke to didn't say anything explicit about active construction activity. The "trucks tearing up the parking lot" was an example of the sort of thing that wasn't said.

• Helpful
Reactions: SammichLover
Meanwhile, in Upsala. Tesla has installed 2 Destination chargers at the Shell station. This may have been what the person @DiscordianDave was talking about when they said Tesla Supercharger over the phone. The chargers will coming online soon. There isnt a Supercharger in construction here so I’ll change the pin to a permit status. 2 16 kW stations.
FEA6A762-3088-4C90-9C76-B68E292F7C50.jpeg
9697E80B-ECEB-446F-812C-D33EE2CECA39.jpeg

Photos from PlugShare

Meanwhile, in Upsala. Tesla has installed 2 Destination chargers at the Shell station. This may have been what the person @DiscordianDave was talking about when they said Tesla Supercharger over the phone. The chargers will coming online soon. There isnt a Supercharger in construction here so I’ll change the pin to a permit status. 2 16 kW stations.View attachment 489233View attachment 489234

Photos from PlugShare
The second photo is the funniest picture I’ve seen on the forums in quite a while!

Reactions: outdoors
Meanwhile, in Upsala. Tesla has installed 2 Destination chargers at the Shell station. This may have been what the person @DiscordianDave was talking about when they said Tesla Supercharger over the phone. The chargers will coming online soon. There isnt a Supercharger in construction here so I’ll change the pin to a permit status. 2 16 kW stations.<pics of HPWCs>

Photos from PlugShare

It's about 240km between Ignace, ON and Thunder Bay, ON.

Maybe they've put the HPWCs in as a stopgap so that they can continue to open the TCH Superchargers through the winter.

It's about 240km between Ignace, ON and Thunder Bay, ON.

Maybe they've put the HPWCs in as a stopgap so that they can continue to open the TCH Superchargers through the winter.

I wonder how they will display that info on the in car map? Does Tesla show destination chargers on the screen or is it just the supercharger locations? I've never noticed a toggle switch for that in the UI settings.

This is great and all, But if this gets built before some of the Ottawa Area superchargers(in particular Hwy7) I will lose my *sugar*, as I can't see this being used very much at the moment. I have been waiting on the pinned Perth, Peterborough, Renfrew and Brockville(pinned by Tesla since at least Sep2018). *These still not being in place did effect my travel plans this summer.

Some Australian owners tried to do this - get sites on important, but very low traffic routes - e.g. ones where no superchargers are expected for years - to install destination chargers as a stop gap. Tesla wouldn't do it as they only wanted destination chargers at actual destinations, not to have them used as "poor mans superchargers".

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart