Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking forward hopefully to taking delivery of my first Tesla next month - a MYLR.

Later in the year I’m also expecting to get a smaller EV from Peugeot.

As I will own a Tesla and have a Tesla account, can anyone tell me please if I will also be able to charge the Peugeot at Supercharger sites, or are they set up to recognise the car type being connected and only charge Teslas?

I’ve read somewhere that Tesla might open their network to other car brands, but not sure where that has now reached.

Thanks for any help.

At the moment you’ll only be able to charge the Tesla at a supercharger, at least here in the uk.

Some superchargers in Europe are available to all cars, but as far as I’m aware you need a different type of account for non Teslas. That ability might come to the uk, but it’s not here yet.

Reactions: Moorman
You won't need a different account, the option to charge a non-Tesla appears within the Tesla app, but you need to be resident in the country where the network has been opened. At the moment, France, Holland, Norway & Denmark I think. In all these countries, only some SC sites have been opened to wider access. Where they are heavily used already, they are being maintained as Tesla only. It will almost certainly come to the UK and then you will have the option to pay a monthly fee to then pay the same p per kWh as your Tesla costs to charge, or to pay a higher p per kWh for occasional use. In Europe the break even point for a subscrition is around 50kWh in the month, so if you know you'll use it for more than that, its worth having the subscription. You can start and stop that as you need from one month to the next, so you could pay for a month you're on holiday and know you'll use it a fair bit, then cancel again afterwards.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
All of them in Holland I think?
If you visit the Supercharger map, you can turn off all the sites and then toggle between SC & Open to all SC. The Dutch ones do all appear to be open, perhaps less pressure for use? There are only 15 or so French ones open. Not all are huge sites. Vierzon has 36 stalls at 250kW, but Angoulême is just 8.