Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Utica, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This afternoon I called the Utica, NY building department and spoke with Jack (the guy who picked up the phone). He stated that a Permit has indeed been issued to Tesla for a Supercharging Station in "the north part of town, by Rite Aid". I asked if he had any idea when it was scheduled to be finished and he had no idea.

This afternoon I called the Utica, NY building department and spoke with Jack (the guy who picked up the phone). He stated that a Permit has indeed been issued to Tesla for a Supercharging Station in "the north part of town, by Rite Aid". I asked if he had any idea when it was scheduled to be finished and he had no idea.

Given those clues, this location near the Thruway exit, looks promising:

Rite Aid Pharmacy
208 Herkimer Road
Utica, NY 13502

Rite Aid Pharmacy, 208 Herkimer Road, Utica, NY — Google Maps

Utica.jpg

When Utica is finished, it will make a very nice connection between Albany, NY and Kingston, ON! This could be the first Supercharger connection of the East Canadian Island to the rest of the North American Supercharger Network.

When Utica is finished, it will make a very nice connection between Albany, NY and Kingston, ON! This could be the first Supercharger connection of the East Canadian Island to the rest of the North American Supercharger Network.

That would be good news indeed! It is currently a three way horse race as to whether the Detroit, Buffalo or Kingston crossing is going to be finished first.

Thanks, griffe. The cones might be where they're waiting for a transformer. I believe National Grid is the utility and they aren't known for speed when it comes to completing Supercharger installations. Colonie, NY and Auburn, MA come to mind.

I wonder if the construction crew has moved on to Syracuse.

Last edited:
Excellent news, what address is this at?

Here's a Google Street View image of an identical building.

Utica 1.jpg

It confirms Cottonwood's educated guess of 208 Herkimer Road, Utica, NY 13502. You're looking at the Eastern wall of an outdoor shopping center anchored by a Price Chopper supermarket. Rite Aid is just to the North in the same center, but in its own building.

Herkimer road appears to change its name to Auert Avenue right about at the shopping center, which could confuse navigation systems (or their users.)

Here's a Google Street View image of an identical building.

View attachment 71037

It confirms Cottonwood's educated guess of 208 Herkimer Road, Utica, NY 13502. You're looking at the Eastern wall of an outdoor shopping center anchored by a Price Chopper supermarket. Rite Aid is just to the North in the same center, but in its own building.

Herkimer road appears to change its name to Auert Avenue right about at the shopping center, which could confuse navigation systems (or their users.)

Wow!!! ICE'rs already practicing in anticipation.

Thank you for the update. Looks like Supercharge.info needs to update to 8 stalls as well as details indicate only 4. Way to go Tesla.

Correct. It is not Rite-Aid, it's behind Rite-Aid, against the larger building that also contains Price Chopper (if you are facing PC, its on the far left side of the building).

Here is a quick map I made up to help.

map utica supercharger.png

From either direction, I believe you'd get off at exit 31, take a right on N.Genesee St, a right onto Auert Ave, and a right onto Leland Ave. It'll be on your right.

Utica was once a BOOMING city, mostly because of its location along the Erie Canal. Although it became quite depressed, it is really starting to make a comeback, and has MUCH to offer visitors. If you have time to spend here, grab some chicken riggies or Utica Greens, a Saranac, or have dinner at The Taylor and the Cook, or the historic Chesterfield (where chicken riggies came from). The Utica Brewery is a very cool place to check out if you have time, as is the historic train station (Union Station). All these places are 2-3 miles away though - not a whole lot to see within walking distance (that I know of).

Check out this blog - a guy from Rochester spent a weekend in Utica and documented some highlights of his trip.

Utica, New York: A Day of Fun, A Story of Hope | ArianDavidPhotography

Last edited:
Correct. It is not Rite-Aid, it's behind Rite-Aid, against the larger building that also contains Price Chopper (if you are facing PC, its on the far left side of the building).

Here is a quick map I made up to help.

View attachment 71093

From either direction, I believe you'd get off at exit 31, take a right on N.Genesee St, a right onto Auert Ave, and a right onto Leland Ave. It'll be on your right.

Utica was once a BOOMING city, mostly because of its location along the Erie Canal. Although it became quite depressed, it is really starting to make a comeback, and has MUCH to offer visitors. If you have time to spend here, grab some chicken riggies or Utica Greens, a Saranac, or have dinner at The Taylor and the Cook, or the historic Chesterfield (where chicken riggies came from). The Utica Brewery is a very cool place to check out if you have time, as is the historic train station (Union Station). All these places are 2-3 miles away though - not a whole lot to see within walking distance (that I know of).

Check out this blog - a guy from Rochester spent a weekend in Utica and documented some highlights of his trip.

Utica, New York: A Day of Fun, A Story of Hope | ArianDavidPhotography

Hello everyone, I'm a new user here!

I've been a fan of Tesla cars for a year or two now (have seen ~3-4 personally and have been to a Tesla gallery in D.C.) and I must say they are fantastic cars. Hopefully when I graduate from college I can afford one.

I'm from Western New York but go to school here in the Mohawk Valley (my SUNY school is circled below) for engineering. Came here on a whim because it's a public school, cheap and far enough from home to feel away but close enough to get back quickly. Like the poster above me the area really is trying to rebound and most would say it's due to my college (they're investing ~$50B in nanotechnology).

Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 10.12.42 PM.png

Boosterism (or whatever you'd call it) aside I've always wondered where superchargers go and how they work and it's cool to see they're right down the road now. Though I still don't know the area well, from the basics I do know this station is pretty convenient to the Thruway and stuff. Heck, maybe there are a couple Tesla owners sprinkled in the area who would use it (doubtful).

My school actually does have an EV charger next to our Student Center but I don't know if anyone uses it. I also wonder how many battery switching machines are in operation across the country.

Anyways, I look forward to perusing this forum with everyone and waiting for the day the Model 3 comes out!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure how to edit posts, but here is a news video showing the station:

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Tesla_chargers_popped_up_in_North_Utica.html

griffd - thanks for posting this. My 85d will arrive late March. I'm in New Hartford. Will look forward to gliding along I90 from Boston to Buffalo gas free. Also enjoyed the link to Utica a Day of Fun.

Not sure if my first post here is hidden/rejected, but I go to college in the area and I'm intrigued by Teslas in general. I found a news article on a local station with a video of the project: WKTV.com: Tesla chargers popped up in North Utica

The Tesla Interactive Map shows Utica online as of TODAY, Feb.11, 2015. Has anyone checked out the site? Good news for me since it is 191 miles from my house in Amherst, NY. So now it is possible for me to drive to the NYC area on the SC network! Hopefully we'll soon see signs of activity at the Buffalo (Clarence), NY site.

Yes. I live in New Hartford, and drove by today. I thought it was not activated because I had trouble removing the cord. After an embarrassing call to Tesla Motors I found out it sticks before getting any use. After rotating it I was able to charge my car. They told me on the phone it was activated yesterday. I personally wish the Syracuse Supercharger was up, and I wish that a Supercharger would be put in Binghamton since I commonly go that way.

Yes. I live in New Hartford, and drove by today. I thought it was not activated because I had trouble removing the cord. After an embarrassing call to Tesla Motors I found out it sticks before getting any use. After rotating it I was able to charge my car. They told me on the phone it was activated yesterday. I personally wish the Syracuse Supercharger was up, and I wish that a Supercharger would be put in Binghamton since I commonly go that way.

That's great news. I'm amazed they started and finished this project so easily and quickly. It don't work like that none up here in Canada

I wish that a Supercharger would be put in Binghamton since I commonly go that way.

I would think that Binghamton, Scranton, and Allentown would be a reasonable route to populate with SCs, but it seems to be lower priority for Tesla than linking up more transcontinental east-west routes. I suppose Tesla has the statistics on where people go. They seem to mostly know what they're doing.