Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 - 0 to 80% in 20 mins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the 100 packs went into production about the same time Tesla (Musk) first started talking about V3 chargers, it's likely the S/X packs and onboard charging hardware isn't able to (safely) charge as faster as the Model 3's.
FYI, onboard charging hardware is for A/C only. The charging hardware for supercharging is at the supercharger locations, not onboard.

Reactions: jerry33
The Model 3's have a newer designed battery pack, likely able to take full advantage of the V3 chargers.

While the 100 packs went into production about the same time Tesla (Musk) first started talking about V3 chargers, it's likely the S/X packs and onboard charging hardware isn't able to (safely) charge as faster as the Model 3's. And providing the details of the relatively slower charging benefits for the more expensive S/X vehicles would have detracted from the V3 announcement.

It's also possible Tesla is continuing to do testing to determine how much faster they can push S/X charging without risking damage to the packs.

Even if our S/X 100D's don't get the full charging benefits that the Model 3's (and future Y's) are getting, we'll still benefit. Elimination of slowing for shared chargers will help significantly. Shortening the time of how long the Model 3's are using a charger will help significantly, because the higher volume 3's (and Y's) will be the highest percentage of vehicles using the Superchargers. And we'll hopefully get some boost in charging rate, which will help some, even if it isn't as much of a gain as what the 3/Y's will be getting...

Yes - even we do not get the same charging rate as 3, we continue to see our model X improve over time. I do not see any car manufacture except tesla will do any of improvement.

FYI, onboard charging hardware is for A/C only. The charging hardware for supercharging is at the supercharger locations, not onboard.
The A/C to D/C conversion is off-loaded to the site hardware at a SuperCharger, but there is still a lot of circuitry involved there to determine where to send all that power. The S/X systems may only be designed to handle 120kw(ish) total power regardless of how strong or weak the built-in converter is.

bob_p said:
...it's likely the S/X packs and onboard charging hardware isn't able to (safely) charge as faster as the Model 3's. And providing the details of the relatively slower charging benefits for the more expensive S/X vehicles would have detracted from the V3 announcement....

Yes, there's not much point in talking about marginal improvements for the S and X, but even moreso why distract from boosting the model 3 which is in need of promotion these days. The model 3 needs to stay at the forefront of marketing efforts as that is the car that will make or break Tesla. For the foreseeable future it will be all about selling models 3s, at least until the model Y comes out.

I think I might be the exception in that I don't feel a need to charge faster really. What I would like to see is better and more consistent range. Unlike nearly every car I've ever had, I can't predict at all the mileage I will get from the car on any given day or even at any given hour. Today I drove a 30 mile stretch just after charging. The trip computer said I got 330 Wh/mi having covered 32 miles. The 100 kWh battery dropped 12%. I calculate 10.5%. What happened to the missing percent?

Yeah, this is a small example, but it was under very basic conditions with few variables.

Unfortunately this is almost the round off error, so it is hard to really claim it shows a problem. I just never know what to expect from this car. Like someone said, ABC, always be charging!