Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger v3 - Live Wednesday 03/06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it an existing site being upgraded? somewhere new? Secret? Remember back to the original supercharger launch, they built 4 sites in secret without anyone knowing, mostly between SF-LA-LV. It was easy for them when no-one knew what to look for. SC v3 will probably also be in California between LA and SF. Activity at any existing site would have been noticed. If it is an entirely new site, there would be limited locations left on that route. Get scouting, Californians :)

Reactions: mociaf9
I predict Kettleman...

They have solar, battery backup and perhaps better data gathering with what ever is sourcing that huge video of world wide Supercharger usage.

Time for another Get Together Party at Kettleman...

Kettleman’s too important for peak volume to go first (should things go wrong) and way too conspicuous. No chance they could do a 40 stall retrofit there without someone noticing.

That said another site on I-5 came to mind as a likely candidate as the fast speeds will be most beneficial for long distance travel.

Gustine, Harris Ranch, Bakersfield, or Buttonwillow would seem to be decent guesses.

Unless it’s just a showcase site somewhere in the Bay Area. That’s possible too.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I don’t think so. The 100 pack should be able to easily benefit from higher charge rates. The 75 was discontinued, in my opinion, for exactly this reason.

The S/X margins would be better if they used a new gigafactory pack design. I'm not sure if they have the engineering capacity to make that change, but we have both the supercharger V3 announcement and the S/X price reduction.

Tesla probably would not want to put R&D into the older pack design to upgrade to faster charging

I keep wondering why the Model 3 does not charge faster than ~ 115 kW with CCS chargers rated up to 175 kW.
And more to the point, is the Model 3 rate limited to 115 kW on a V3 Supercharger ?

I hope not, but I'm very excited about V3 regardless since it probably does away with the sharing penalty and will soon enough support batteries that can offset carbon emissions by installing local clean energy.

I keep wondering why the Model 3 does not charge faster than ~ 115 kW with CCS chargers rated up to 175 kW.
And more to the point, is the Model 3 rate limited to 115 kW on a V3 Supercharger ?

I hope not, but I'm very excited about V3 regardless since it probably does away with the sharing penalty and will soon enough support batteries that can offset carbon emissions by installing local clean energy.

I don't see, in areas with demand chargers, how Tesla could not do pedestal sharing. But it certainly is a way to improve both peak station throughput and user satisfaction.

I think the model 3 is software limited on charging to 1) get the future marketing bump for "software upgrade". 2) So the M3 LR does not greatly exceed the charging speed of the S/X.

I continue to talk myself into the prediction of new S/X batteries arriving shortly.

Last edited by a moderator: