Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 over 350kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you happen to know which packs/capacity support this?
My car is a standard 85kW pack (2013 rev. B). I've drawn ~134kW from a supercharger. That's ~1.58C.

That's actually about the limit of the 135kW Superchargers. There's the chance that the newer chemistries (90 & 100kW packs), can accept an even greater rate. The new 150kW superchargers could theoretically deliver a 1.67C rate to a 90kW pack...

Got it, was wondering if someone has compiled a list of packs/Rev's and capacities that have max charge limits? I have a newly acquired 70d but it's been pretty cold and never seen it go over 1.2c.

But it's never been down below 41% or above 60* either! :p Today is 70* plus so I'll find out.

Got it, was wondering if someone has compiled a list of packs/Rev's and capacities that have max charge limits? I have a newly acquired 70d but it's been pretty cold and never seen it go over 1.2c.

But it's never been down below 41% or above 60* either! :p Today is 70* plus so I'll find out.
Cool.

What's the lowest SOC you've started at?

Low SOC's and a warmed up pack (from driving in moderate weather), are where you'll see max power delivery.

There are some collections of Supercharging power curves I've seen posted around here, but don't have them handy. One thing I will note is that it's likely that at least the 100's are going to be limited by the superchargers themselves. With even the 150kW chargers (of which I believe there re relatively few... and only European thus far?), you'd only be able to deliver 1.5C to a 100kW pack.

It would be interesting to see what a 175 or 200kW supercharger could deliver to a 100kW pack car...

I've only SC'd twice since Wed (just got the car) but we've had this Arctic blast coming through here and it's been damn cold! Lowest was the night it was delivered and we drove to Burbank and it was 38* out..

Next was 48* and 61* outside or so but I got stuck on the same stall...

I've only SC'd twice since Wed (just got the car) but we've had this Arctic blast coming through here and it's been damn cold! Lowest was the night it was delivered and we drove to Burbank and it was 38* out..

Next was 48* and 61* outside or so but I got stuck on the same stall...
Congrats on the new ride!

With your 70 degree day, try and pull in with less than 10 miles on the car...

My car is a standard 85kW pack (2013 rev. B). I've drawn ~134kW from a supercharger. That's ~1.58C.

That's actually about the limit of the 135kW Superchargers. There's the chance that the newer chemistries (90 & 100kW packs), can accept an even greater rate. The new 150kW superchargers could theoretically deliver a 1.67C rate to a 90kW pack...
Kind of off topic, but what voltage/current was that 134kW and what SOC? The max I have seen reported was slightly over 120kW, I was not aware that there were any cars that achieved significantly above that (I was under the impression the "135 kW" superchargers had extra power when splitting, but a single car was still limited to ~120kW).

Kind of off topic, but what voltage/current was that 134kW and what SOC? The max I have seen reported was slightly over 120kW, I was not aware that there were any cars that achieved significantly above that (I was under the impression the "135 kW" superchargers had extra power when splitting, but a single car was still limited to ~120kW).

You know, I 've gone back and I can't find that I took any pics... but now that you have me thinking, I wonder if I've mis-remembered that as 124, and not 134.

If so, that would be a C rate of about 1.46. Unless I find proof my earlier assertion is correct (and based on a quick google search, I suspect it's not), that's probably better data to go by.

Apologies for any misinformation, and thanks @stopcrazypp for the sanity-check.

Reactions: spottyq
One model would be to install one of these 'hyperchargers' at each of the current SC sites. Tesla could charge a bit more for the hyper (but still less then gas) to offset some of the costs. The spot would be occupied for a much shorter period of time and people would then have a choice. Super vs hyper.

At the very minimum, it sounds like this would solve the problem of shared stalls lowering charging rates for current cars.

It also seems very possible that Powerpacks can output this sort of power without adding significantly to Tesla's costs (either if recharged from solar, or "trickle" charging from the grid).

Congrats on the new ride!

With your 70 degree day, try and pull in with less than 10 miles on the car...
Thanks! We bought it from a member here! Very beautiful and everyone seem to comment and congratulate ;)

Anyways, just got back from the Burbank SC and every stall was packed! I only got down to 27% and pulled 77kwh at the peak (48%) for a short time. Was bouncing around 61-72 the whole time.

One model would be to install one of these 'hyperchargers' at each of the current SC sites. Tesla could charge a bit more for the hyper (but still less then gas) to offset some of the costs. The spot would be occupied for a much shorter period of time and people would then have a choice. Super vs hyper.

So you think Tesla wants people to clog up the Superchargers unless they pay more money?

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca
So you think Tesla wants people to clog up the Superchargers unless they pay more money?

Sorry, not sure I understand your question. Install a hypercharger (or 2) at each existing location. People would be out in 10-15 minutes so there shouldn't be much congestion. And they've clearly stated unlimited free supercharging is done so yes, they can charge a premium for ultrafast charging. Not a profit center but enough to offset the cost. If I was in a rush I'd gladly pay the equivalent of a tank of gas to be full in almost the same time it would take to pump gas. If I wasn't in a rush I'd plug into a regular SC stall and get a coffee.

Assuming this all actually happens of course. But if 350kw chargers are already in the works for competitors, I find it hard to believe Tesla will allow themselves to be leapfrogged.

Sorry, not sure I understand your question. Install a hypercharger (or 2) at each existing location. People would be out in 10-15 minutes so there shouldn't be much congestion. And they've clearly stated unlimited free supercharging is done so yes, they can charge a premium for ultrafast charging. Not a profit center but enough to offset the cost. If I was in a rush I'd gladly pay the equivalent of a tank of gas to be full in almost the same time it would take to pump gas. If I wasn't in a rush I'd plug into a regular SC stall and get a coffee.

It a car can support both 350kW and 150kW, why would Tesla wants a car to occupy a parking spot in front of the charger for longer than it has to? The revenue from the incremental charge has to be tiny compared to the cost of the charger & real estate and lost of faith from other customers waiting in line. Just charge the car at 350kW and get it out of there ASAP.

SuperChargers is also not really a convenient timing - it's too long for coffee and too short for dinner.

And they've clearly stated unlimited free supercharging is done
And they changed their mind on that. It's no longer unlimited free (Well, in 3 days).

Last edited:
Didn't Elon say that Supercharging would be free? What if the 350kW+ chargers are not called "superchargers"?

Where have you guys been? It's no longer free for new cars starting in 3 days:

An Update to Our Supercharging Program

Since no existing car will be capable of 350kW chargers, and chances are not for cars ordered within the next 3 days either... it follows that all cars capable of 350kW charging will have to pay for Supercharging anyway.

I don't think there is much opportunity to earn more ZEV credits. More info here:

Will V3 Superchargers Provide More ZEV Credits and Revenue?

GSP

The linked article in the above quoted thread is wrong with its statement that Tesla could ever qualify for nine credits per vehicle with a battery electric car.

CARB-ZEV credits per vehicle - Model Years 2012 - 2017:

Type V - 300+ miles range "hydrogen" ---- Credit per vehicle: 9**

Type V - 300+ miles range "fast refueling" - Credit per vehicle: 7 (this is what Tesla earned 2012-2014 with 85kWh car and demonstrated battery swapping)

Type IV - 200+ miles range "fast refueling" - Credit per vehicle: 5 (the is what Tesla earned 2012-2014 with 60kWh car and demonstrated battery swapping)

Type III - 100+ miles range "fast refueling" - Credit per vehicle: 4

Type III - 200+ miles range -------------- Credit per vehicle: 4 (this is what Tesla earns today, mid 2014 to through 2017, after "fast refueling" rule change)

Type II - 100+ miles range --------------- Credit per vehicle: 3

Type I.5 - 75-100 miles range ----------- Credit per vehicle: 2.5

Type I - 50-75 miles range --------------- Credit per vehicle: 2

** hydrogen "super credit" at 9 per vehicle for model years 2015-2017 only

NOTE: The "fast refueling" credit has been revised (2014) to a minimum of 4% of the fleet to demonstrate a maximum 25 battery swaps. Hydrogen is exempt to continue receiving the credit.

CARB-ZEV credits per vehicle - Model Years 2018-2025:

Starting Model Year 2018 (enacted 2016):

Range per Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) per UDDS test protocol:

Actual credit value is 1% of UDDS range plus 1/2 credit
Example - 249 miles UDDS * 1% = 2.49 + 0.5 = 2.99
This vehicle earns 2 cretis
No fast fueling credit

350 miles range ---- Credit per vehicle: 4 (presumably, a 100kWh car would easily meet this threshold)
250 miles range ---- Credit per vehicle: 3
150 miles range ---- Credit per vehicle: 2
50 miles range ----- Credit per vehicle: 1

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and GSP