Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the majority of slow Supercharging is because of a cold battery. The battery is already actively cooled when necessary.
SC creates a lot of heat, heat is an important limiting factor on charging and its going to be even more-so with double the rate. If you start at the edge you'll get choked off quickly (or risk damage if it doesn't). Chilling with the Supercan isn't an instantaneous thing, it has limits. That's the whole premise behind one of the most important features of Track Mode, pre-chilling the plumbing loop so it takes a lot longer for it to become overheated and have to limit the throttle.

Tell that to the people in cold climates that are charging for hours at low rates because it takes hours of driving to get the battery up to full charging temperature.
The new warm up mode will help people in winter and in cold climate for sure, no doubt. I meant to say that for most people in most time of the year, the actual time reduction they should expect with V3 supercharger should be 30% reduction, not 50% reduction.

Yes it is. It implies a max current of almost 800A. The 525A number in the EPA doc is too low for all this to work.
I had been thinking similarly.

Max current I think that's been observed is 330A for the 96S pack configuration cars drawing a peak 117kW.

If the curve is the same, my math says that ~729A if a peak of 256kW is achieved.

Wowsers if that's even in the ballpark...

tesla_raj on Twitter

Pretty crazy what they are seeing. 225 kW, legit saw nearly 1000 mph. Pretty crazy...
thanks for the link. If you check out his last video (at tesla_raj (@tesla_raj) | Twitter), you can clearly see that max charging rate is 250 kw, 1000 miles per hour as described in the press release, no exaggeration or BS there. Charging a Tesla Model 3 LR from 10 miles left to 80% of battery in just less than 30 minutes for real.

Looking at this graph they posted, looks like 250kW only gets you another 25% reduction over 120kW with the new pre-warming. So charge taper might be more agressive:
DAC9E2CA-639F-4601-AF75-EE404BFA725F.png

The twitter thought it's about "power safety".

But my interpretation is: It's a crowded station, only 80% or less charging allowed so others can get their turns.

Because it doesn't say "High Power/Votage... Usage).
Yes definitely. It's all about maximizing throughput for the station, not a safety limit. At high SOC, the amperage and power is relatively low (e.g. it's safest part of the charge).

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and ohmman
Looking at this graph they posted, looks like 250kW only gets you another 25% reduction over 120kW with the new pre-warming. So charge taper might be more agressive:
View attachment 383814
As a resident of California I wish they'd provide separate numbers for cold and moderate climates (where the pre-warmup probably won't make a difference). But yes, we'll have to wait and see what the charge curve looks like.

Reactions: e-FTW
Whoa. This is new.

It could pose a problem for me if this is rolled out, because I often need 100% charge to get my X+trailer to the next Supercharger stop.
Do we know if they are replacing all v2 chargers at a site or maybe just half to allow folks who need a little more time at say Harris Ranch to finish their steak or charge to 100%. Seems that would make sense.
My guess is the v3 chargers are identified at a site to allow folks that only need 80% to get in and get out quick.

Do we know if they are replacing all v2 chargers at a site or maybe just half to allow folks who need a little more time at say Harris Ranch to finish their steak or charge to 100%. Seems that would make sense.
My guess is the v3 chargers are identified at a site to allow folks that only need 80% to get in and get out quick.
This is what they will do "Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks."

• Informative
Reactions: Blup85