Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been surprised at how slow my Model 3 charges in SoCal when it's 55-60 deg outside and the battery is "cold soaked" to that temp. This will definitely make a difference, even in LA.
The 3 lacks a dedicated battery heater, and they said they were somehow leveraging the 3’s motor(s?) to create waste heat to warm up the battery when needed.
/hand waving

Whoa. This is new.

It could pose a problem for me if this is rolled out, because I often need 100% charge to get my X+trailer to the next Supercharger stop.

Yeah, I wonder if that will be implemented at "high usage" V2 stations as well?

Hopefully they will be increasing density quickly now that they can start rolling out V3.

Or maybe it is close to time to upgrade to a longer range X. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
It also shows a warning: "High-usage Supercharger station; Max battery charge of 80%"

This is going to make track days when we have full chargers very....interesting.

So basically this new supercharger is really a megacharger since the cabinet is 1 MW. I bet this is what they will use for Semi, but only 1 truck instead of 4 cars.

Reactions: scaesare
Looked at a few of the videos.

I saw 90+ kW at around 66% I think?

Also saw some thermal (?) oscillation in one of the videos, at the 220-250kW level. There was another video where similar was happing near 30% SoC between something like 120 and 150kW. But maybe that wasn’t a V3 Supercharger? It was hard to tell. I wonder if that’s due to thermal at the charge port or just non optimal contact or whether it is somewhere else? Do we need to start bringing contact cleaner with us? ;) Might not be the best idea, that stuff is strong...

Can anyone link to a decent video that actually shows a charge from below 10% to something like 70%?

Sorry if I missed it here. I did look at several Twitter videos but could not find one that really showed the entire taper (or up to where we would care, like 70%).

Last edited:
How are they able to "unlock" 145kW charge rates, when the nameplate on the chargers specifically states they are 135kW (330A @ 410VDC)?

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_140609.jpg
    IMG_20181231_140609.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
The twitter thought it's about "power safety".

But my interpretation is: It's a crowded station, only 80% or less charging allowed so others can get their turns.

Because it doesn't say "High Power/Voltage... Usage).

I said when they implemented idle fees that they should have also limited SCing to 90-95% before said fees kicked in, so IMO, this is long overdue. It didn’t take a genius to see that people would obviously set their charge limit to 100% to maximize how long they could stay in the same spot, and given how long it takes to get from 90-100% idle fees were often complete;y useless in increasing turnover by how much it needed to be at the busiest stations. 80% is overly harsh, but 90% would be a good spot, IMO.

I hope with this upgrade existing superchargers are more consistent in their charge rates. It’s annoying when the Detroit News takes a Model 3 to a supercharger (Marshall MI) and reports the change rate to their readers and it happens to be a very slow location. Fuels those conversations I have to have about “how slow it is to charge evs.”

This is a very cool upgrade in charging though, can’t wait to try it out!