Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger vacancies in v4 Tesla app (moved, not removed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new app sucks. It shows only 4 chargers and for some reason it doesn't show the second closest one for me. Seems pretty random.

Also they removed chargers from the default navigation UI so you can no longer easily see them at a glance. Why?

The old app only showed 4 chargers as well, and its selection of which ones it recommended was similarly wonky. Why? It's the same data from the Tesla back-end API...what's changed is the presentation (which I actually happen to like better):

To the second point...that's a thing in-car. I think it's to prevent turning the map into a sea of red pins in Supercharger-heavy locations like the SF Bay Area. But that has nothing to do with the app change.

The new app has enough issues on its own without people inventing new problems. ;)

Bruce.

The new app sucks. It shows only 4 chargers and for some reason it doesn't show the second closest one for me. Seems pretty random.

Also they removed chargers from the default navigation UI so you can no longer easily see them at a glance. Why?

The old app only showed 4 chargers as well, and its selection of which ones it recommended was similarly wonky. Why? It's the same data from the Tesla back-end API...what's changed is the presentation (which I actually happen to like better):

To the second point...that's a thing in-car. I think it's to prevent turning the map into a sea of red pins in Supercharger-heavy locations like the SF Bay Area. But that has nothing to do with the app change.

The new app has enough issues on its own without people inventing new problems. ;)

Bruce.
Thanks for your non-deterministic Superchargers link. I replied in another thread that the list of 4 chargers seems to change. I noticed that when I'm in the car or the car and I are both at home, the app seemed to show the four closest Superchargers. When the car was located an hour away from me, I would see a different set of Superchargers displayed each time I checked. Sometimes it would skip several of the Superchargers closest to the car and show ones that were nearly 100 miles away. Other times, it would show the Superchargers that were within 5 miles of the car, skip several and then show a couple more that were 50 miles away. I couldn't figure out the logic. :confused:

As for the Supercharger display in the car, you can find at least some of them by tapping Navigate and then Chargers:
20210921_131325.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
You can view supercharger using Tesla map. in Tesla app click on location, top right click on right arrow, it will open the map, in search type supercharger. It will show all charging stations. You can send it to your car like before. Click on shares then Tesla. Andre.

that action takes me out of the Tesla app and over to Apple Maps, with directions to myself.
As you know, you actually have to:

1.- Open the Tesla App
2.- Click on "Location".
3.- Pinch-to-zoom out the map until you see the Superchargers closest to the vehicle.
4.- Then click on the red pin in order to see the number of available stalls, status and send directions to the vehicle.

I found the destination charger list a valuable resource while traveling. Yesterday I encountered a detour that put me in a critical low power situation. I scrambled to try and find a backup location with no success. Rolled to my destination on 'fumes'.

I don't use the app to find superchargers when driving as the car's map works fine for that. But when I'm charging during dinner I use the app to monitor charging progress. I also want to know when I'm done charging whether I'll incur idle charges. The app used to show how many people were at the supercharger I was using and the kW charge rate. It now shows neither of those items, and last Friday I interrupted my dinner to unplug only to find that it was unnecessary because the other cars present when I arrived had departed.

So appreciate the heads-up in this thread that I can use the location section of the app to determine whether I'm in danger of idle fees. But the app is less convenient than before and no longer shows the kW charge rate.

The new app is terrible. Actions are so slow that I tap the control an extra time because I think I missed it. Controls are all grey now, more difficult to see. Map is greyscale now like in the car, and always night mode. Everything's a shadow now. Less responsive as well as ugly.

As you know, you actually have to:

1.- Open the Tesla App
2.- Click on "Location".
3.- Pinch-to-zoom out the map until you see the Superchargers closest to the vehicle.
4.- Then click on the red pin in order to see the number of available stalls, status and send directions to the vehicle.
good news, somewhere along the way Tesla updated the v4 iOS app and brought back the list of nearby Superchargers (I'm now on v4.5.0 as of today but I just noticed this functionality before this update so perhaps in v4.4.4 )

you still have to go into "Locations" but now in addition to map on top, on bottom portion of the screen there's a slide-up panel showing "Nearest Chargers" with a list of the 4 nearest SuperChargers, distance from your current location and how many avail / how many total chargers. Tapping on a charging location in that list zooms the map to its location and gives you a button to "Send to Car"

Much improved over the initial v4 implementation