Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger vacancies in v4 Tesla app (moved, not removed)

bmah

Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
The new app sucks. It shows only 4 chargers and for some reason it doesn't show the second closest one for me. Seems pretty random.

Also they removed chargers from the default navigation UI so you can no longer easily see them at a glance. Why?

The old app only showed 4 chargers as well, and its selection of which ones it recommended was similarly wonky. Why? It's the same data from the Tesla back-end API...what's changed is the presentation (which I actually happen to like better):

To the second point...that's a thing in-car. I think it's to prevent turning the map into a sea of red pins in Supercharger-heavy locations like the SF Bay Area. But that has nothing to do with the app change.

The new app has enough issues on its own without people inventing new problems. ;)

Bruce.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
The new app sucks. It shows only 4 chargers and for some reason it doesn't show the second closest one for me. Seems pretty random.

Also they removed chargers from the default navigation UI so you can no longer easily see them at a glance. Why?

The old app only showed 4 chargers as well, and its selection of which ones it recommended was similarly wonky. Why? It's the same data from the Tesla back-end API...what's changed is the presentation (which I actually happen to like better):

To the second point...that's a thing in-car. I think it's to prevent turning the map into a sea of red pins in Supercharger-heavy locations like the SF Bay Area. But that has nothing to do with the app change.

The new app has enough issues on its own without people inventing new problems. ;)

Bruce.
Thanks for your non-deterministic Superchargers link. I replied in another thread that the list of 4 chargers seems to change. I noticed that when I'm in the car or the car and I are both at home, the app seemed to show the four closest Superchargers. When the car was located an hour away from me, I would see a different set of Superchargers displayed each time I checked. Sometimes it would skip several of the Superchargers closest to the car and show ones that were nearly 100 miles away. Other times, it would show the Superchargers that were within 5 miles of the car, skip several and then show a couple more that were 50 miles away. I couldn't figure out the logic. :confused:

As for the Supercharger display in the car, you can find at least some of them by tapping Navigate and then Chargers:
20210921_131325.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier

Tarkus_9

Sep 25, 2021
Glendale
You can view supercharger using Tesla map. in Tesla app click on location, top right click on right arrow, it will open the map, in search type supercharger. It will show all charging stations. You can send it to your car like before. Click on shares then Tesla. Andre.

Art VandeIay

Attractive Membrane
Jun 12, 2016
Elon’s left eyebrow
that action takes me out of the Tesla app and over to Apple Maps, with directions to myself.
As you know, you actually have to:

1.- Open the Tesla App
2.- Click on "Location".
3.- Pinch-to-zoom out the map until you see the Superchargers closest to the vehicle.
4.- Then click on the red pin in order to see the number of available stalls, status and send directions to the vehicle.

RV8R

Apr 22, 2018
Florida
I found the destination charger list a valuable resource while traveling. Yesterday I encountered a detour that put me in a critical low power situation. I scrambled to try and find a backup location with no success. Rolled to my destination on 'fumes'.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I found the destination charger list a valuable resource while traveling. Yesterday I encountered a detour that put me in a critical low power situation. I scrambled to try and find a backup location with no success. Rolled to my destination on 'fumes'.
Have you tried the Plugshare app?

RV8R

Apr 22, 2018
Florida
I didn't, and good point. I was used to the Tesla app and kept searching it while driving. Next time, I'll pull over and spend time researching.

Tony8489

Oct 17, 2015
I don't use the app to find superchargers when driving as the car's map works fine for that. But when I'm charging during dinner I use the app to monitor charging progress. I also want to know when I'm done charging whether I'll incur idle charges. The app used to show how many people were at the supercharger I was using and the kW charge rate. It now shows neither of those items, and last Friday I interrupted my dinner to unplug only to find that it was unnecessary because the other cars present when I arrived had departed.

So appreciate the heads-up in this thread that I can use the location section of the app to determine whether I'm in danger of idle fees. But the app is less convenient than before and no longer shows the kW charge rate.

Brass Guy

Jan 5, 2014
Holbrook, MA
The new app is terrible. Actions are so slow that I tap the control an extra time because I think I missed it. Controls are all grey now, more difficult to see. Map is greyscale now like in the car, and always night mode. Everything's a shadow now. Less responsive as well as ugly.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC