Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger vacancies in v4 Tesla app (moved, not removed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new update to the Tesla app, they took out the Charging section, which means there is now no way to know how many vacancies are at my local supercharger. The only way to know is to walk out to the car and look at it there.

Anyone know of a way to complain about this to Tesla or an app that shows vacancies??

This is super frustrating.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD and MP3Mike
With the new update to the Tesla app, they took out the Charging section, which means there is now no way to know how many vacancies are at my local supercharger. The only way to know is to walk out to the car and look at it there.

Anyone know of a way to complain about this to Tesla or an app that shows vacancies??

This is super frustrating.
they didn't quite take it away, but in the new v4 app they made it less obvious and harder to find, and got rid of the list

now instead of a list of several nearest Superchargers in the charging sections, you have to go into the Locations section where you'll see your car on a map. then you have to zoom out several times and scroll around - if lucky you'll find a pin for nearby Supercharger; the bubble will show how many plugs available. Not as useful as before IMO

not backwards at all, just different - it's now showing it in a similar way to the car by using the map display :)
In this case the change is for a consistent view.

Extra features in the new view.
You can tap on a supercharger to send the directions to the car so you can navigate etc
It also now only shows the SCs that are actually within range at current SoC

Just tested and found this is not exactly the case. My car is sitting at 4% right now and couldn’t make it to ANY supercharger, but the map shows the 4 nearest stations along with their availability.

maybe it always shows the 4 closest and also includes more if you can make it to them?

Reactions: Teskk
You can tap on a supercharger to send the directions to the car so you can navigate etc

in the previous version of the app, you could already tap on one of the Superchargers in the list of nearest ones and it would send it to the car's nav system.

don't know about v4 only showing SCs within range, but IMO the old way of simply giving you a list of nearby SCs right up front in the Charging section is much more obvious and direct. no need to go to another non-obvious section of the app (like, someone shouldn't have to tell you where this feature is hidden!) and then pinch-to-zoom-out several times to hopefully find a SC marker pin. Oh, and if you find a few SC pins on the map, which one is actually the closest? Backward step in useability IMO- unless someone thinks taking longer time and more clicks to do the same thing as before is an improvement

Last edited:
Reactions: plumazul
meh - they just moved the cheese
I'd be curious to see the actual use case for the old option and the new.

Common use cases for the app seem to be (may be slightly tongue in cheek) :cool:
1- check charge status - check, now at the very top
2- did I lock it? - check, second from top
3- quick control - yep, right there under the avatar
4- preconditioning - yep still there near the top
5- ooh look, a pretty avatar of the car moving, isn't it cute that it looks like my car.
12- wonder where my partner is in my car, oh there she is, oh cool she's driving past a supercharger with 2 open stalls.
17- use summon to show off to friends.
42- checking loot box
67- seeing if Tesla have sent an email this year.
98- using smart summon for anything
99- finding charging options - Not. Once. Ever - Always use better options like Plugshare (who leaves home without that?) and ABRP (who really plans without this?)

99- finding charging options - Not. Once. Ever - Always use better options like Plugshare (who leaves home without that?) and ABRP (who really plans without this?)
I tend to agree as I never use local superchargers and charge at home.

Seems like maybe that’s not the case for OP. Maybe they don’t have home charging and want to be able to see at a glance how full the local station is before they go to charge. If I was in that situation, I agree, the new app is a regression.

they didn't quite take it away, but in the new v4 app they made it less obvious and harder to find, and got rid of the list

now instead of a list of several nearest Superchargers in the charging sections, you have to go into the Locations section where you'll see your car on a map. then you have to zoom out several times and scroll around - if lucky you'll find a pin for nearby Supercharger; the bubble will show how many plugs available. Not as useful as before IMO
The map still only shows the four nearest locations. How about the list of destination chargers? Anyone found those?

after using the new app for a while its definitely not as good.
It's much faster load but then takes significantly longer to actually connect to the car.
Too many options just don't exist any longer, like @plumazul found (or didn't find) the destination chargers have found other destinations rather than actually being shown in the app.
Best way for feedback to Tesla may not be here though, add comment to the app in the relevant App Store will get directly back to the app developers.
I've added my one star review

not backwards at all, just different - it's now showing it in a similar way to the car by using the map display :)

No. It’s *in fact* less functional. Unless you know where the charger is, you don’t know where to scroll. Also, it doesn’t show the vacancies on the map. Also, it doesn’t send the location to the car. Also, the old app did allow you to send the location to the car navigation by tapping on the chosen spot in the list.

No. It’s *in fact* less functional. Unless you know where the charger is, you don’t know where to scroll. Also, it doesn’t show the vacancies on the map. Also, it doesn’t send the location to the car. Also, the old app did allow you to send the location to the car navigation by tapping on the chosen spot in the list.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

The map in the Tesla app (v4.0.1) on my iPhone shows Supercharger vacancies and tapping on one of the pins will send the location to the car (or at least it offers to do that...I didn't actually try it). I found those "nearby" Superchargers by zooming the map out...were you not aware you can do that?

There are definitely shortcomings to the new Tesla app, but those aren't some of them.

Bruce.

1632072628656.png

after using the new app for a while its definitely not as good.
It's much faster load but then takes significantly longer to actually connect to the car.
Too many options just don't exist any longer, like @plumazul found (or didn't find) the destination chargers have found other destinations rather than actually being shown in the app.
Best way for feedback to Tesla may not be here though, add comment to the app in the relevant App Store will get directly back to the app developers.
I've added my one star review

My fav "addition" to the new app is the window(close) icons that appear when you have windows open. They are there, you can click them, ... but they don't work. So, the writers of the app are into taunting Tesla owners??

I made my way to this thread after trying unsuccessfully to find the list earlier tonight. I did go to the map, but expected there to be the charge icon like is on the car map and when I didnt see that, I didn't think to zoom. I feel like that would be a decent compromise, though I did prefer the list. My only issue with the list was that I'd try to click on one to get more details (like in PlugShare) only to accidentally send it to the nav.

tbh, now that I know where the charging locations moved to, I think it's an improvement.

before, I had a list of 4 random destination chargers that I had no idea where they were. now, a quick pinch out shows me chargers on a map with availability.

definite thumbs up from me. it'd be two thumbs up if it showed more than 4...

Reactions: tonglaji
tbh, now that I know where the charging locations moved to, I think it's an improvement.

before, I had a list of 4 random destination chargers that I had no idea where they were. now, a quick pinch out shows me chargers on a map with availability.

definite thumbs up from me. it'd be two thumbs up if it showed more than 4...
The only times I used the list of chargers were when traveling away from home. It was frustrating because you couldn’t tell which direction the chargers were located. With them on the map, you can decide to go to charger on your route.

Reactions: bmah