Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vacaville, CA (expanded in 2017, 16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vacaville shows as "temporary closure" on my map this morning. Which I am hoping is very temporary because I planned on relying on it to be open to make it home tonight!

Guess I'll be spending an extra hour waiting for the Palo Alto or San Mateo chargers to free up just in case.

Good news and bad news I guess. The charger appeared normal on the map again so I figured I'd chance it. 1B and 2B have no power, 3B is giving me 26kW max, 4B is at 53kW. There's one other (empty) car here on 3A, I assume local and parked for the night since everything here has been closed for quite some time.

Might want to avoid Vacaville for the time being.

Definitely ten new chargers going in.

Last edited:
Good news and bad news I guess. The charger appeared normal on the map again so I figured I'd chance it. 1B and 2B have no power, 3B is giving me 26kW max, 4B is at 53kW. There's one other (empty) car here on 3A, I assume local and parked for the night since everything here has been closed for quite some time.

Might want to avoid Vacaville for the time being.

Definitely ten new chargers going in.

Hmm, well I'm going to be there tomorrow and will need some sort of charge to make it to the Corning supercharger, so I won't have much of a choice. At least there's a chademo as a backup nearby, although it might be busy if everyone else thinks the same way.

I'll post an update if there's anything new.

Hmm, well I'm going to be there tomorrow and will need some sort of charge to make it to the Corning supercharger, so I won't have much of a choice. At least there's a chademo as a backup nearby, although it might be busy if everyone else thinks the same way.

I'll post an update if there's anything new.

You could use Napa as an alternate (yes it's a bit of a diversion but it's one more alternative to have in your back pocket, so to speak).

Bruce.

Reactions: PLUS EV and DOCAL
I, unfortunately, ended up there yesterday. Usually I take Manteca on the way home. Arrived there 12:30pm and was told power would be back up less than an hour. So I did some shopping and monitored where charging had started throughout. I get back 1:53pm and power still isn't turned on. I ask some other person waiting and they told him less than 30 minutes now. Power is finally restored around 2:05pm. The car starts charging around 45kW then shortly drops to 22kW in stall 3B. So I move over to stall 2B and same issue where I'm getting a slow charge most likely due to the pairing. So I move over to 4B and the charger won't lock where it will even charge. I finally move over to 1A since it was initially blocked when they had a door opened to do some maintenance and I finally get full charging rate.

Initially I arrived with 44 miles and estimates I have 42 miles to get back home. After taking some back roads passed Davis to avoid traffic, I finally arrive home traveling some 43.x miles. I guess I could've made it back with less than a mile to spare. Considering it was in the low 90s I think I averaged 288Wh. Not a fun travel day.

The additional chargers are definitely much-needed but the problem is that there is no good workaround for those going between Sacramento and San Francisco. Napa is quite a detour and there's absolutely none on the east bay for some reason (I know there are several planned, but it's a big gap otherwise). If Vacaville is down, you've got to hope you can make it to Folsom or Roseville, or else you're going well over an hour out of the way. During peak commute times Napa is easily a two hour side trip off 80.

I commute from Sacramento to SF with a 75 and I can make the trip if I don't drive anywhere for lunch and don't have to make any unexpected detours. I don't think a 60 would make it round trip without Vacaville, you'd have to find a garage with charging in the city.

Stopped by tonight, got a 94kW charge rate on 4A with nobody else around. Didn't try any of the other ones.

There are a pair of chargers set up as "temporary" pedestals and there are four shiny new supercharger units. There look to be ten pedestals about to go in, so four new superchargers seems weird to me. But there are definitely ground poles for ten, I counted several times to make sure!

IMG_5347.JPG
We charged in Vacaville today and car the car said it was 109F outside and I believe it. There were also 8 new AC to D.C. Conversion cabinets stacked between the existing transformer and the two temporary chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Looks as if 8-additional stalls totaling 16, but I think more will be needed as the Model 3 rolls out, though there's another Vacaville SC listed on Tesla.com: Vacaville, CA | Tesla
Maybe another SC location for travelers on the other side of the FWY. That is the pattern Tesla is employing in other areas.

I'm really hoping for something on the other side too. The big parking at the west corner of Nut Tree Rd & E Monte Vista Ave (straight east of Fenton's) is normally lightly used, so would be a good location.

Would be a short walk to the Peet's, which is open long hours and has a bathroom.

Looks as if 8-additional stalls totaling 16, but I think more will be needed as the Model 3 rolls out, though there's another Vacaville SC listed on Tesla.com: Vacaville, CA | Tesla
Maybe another SC location for travelers on the other side of the FWY. That is the pattern Tesla is employing in other areas.

I'm really hoping for something on the other side too. The big parking at the west corner of Nut Tree Rd & E Monte Vista Ave (straight east of Fenton's) is normally lightly used, so would be a good location.

Would be a short walk to the Peet's, which is open long hours and has a bathroom.

I'd like an additional location as well, but don't get your hopes up too high. Sometimes we have seen where what appears to be an additional Supercharger site in the same city as an existing site was merely an expansion (Gilroy was an example of this).

Bruce.

Reactions: ohmman and PLUS EV
Yes. It's very unlikely there's a different location. Pretty much every existing site that has a nearby 'coming soon' pin nearby in the same town is really just an expansion of the existing site. The 'new' pin is simply dropped on that city center instead of the existing location, and NOT any specific new site location.

So far (I think) we've only seen Burbank break this rule.

So far the other expansions have adhered to this rule.

I'd like an additional location as well, but don't get your hopes up too high. Sometimes we have seen where what appears to be an additional Supercharger site in the same city as an existing site was merely an expansion (Gilroy was an example of this).

Bruce.

I think for "crowd control", one location with more stalls should tend to help alleviate the load. If you were to have one across the freeway, on Friday the south side would be the first loaded, and then Sundays the north side. Just as you left the crowded on,e, the other would fill up. For me, I look at it like the line for the 6 self checkout registers at a store. If one line is formed to feed all 6, it is more efficient than if there was 6 separate lines....and I would always be in that SLOW line.

I think for "crowd control", one location with more stalls should tend to help alleviate the load. If you were to have one across the freeway, on Friday the south side would be the first loaded, and then Sundays the north side. Just as you left the crowded on,e, the other would fill up. For me, I look at it like the line for the 6 self checkout registers at a store. If one line is formed to feed all 6, it is more efficient than if there was 6 separate lines....and I would always be in that SLOW line.
You're assuming everyone always travels in the same direction.
I was going westbound toward SF and met a few drivers headed east to Tahoe.
Had there been an SC on north side of i80 I would have used it.

Bruce.

Yes. It's very unlikely there's a different location. Pretty much every existing site that has a nearby 'coming soon' pin nearby in the same town is really just an expansion of the existing site. The 'new' pin is simply dropped on that city center instead of the existing location, and NOT any specific new site location.

So far (I think) we've only seen Burbank break this rule.

So far the other expansions have adhered to this rule.
Albany, NY is getting a second, larger station (and it doesn't even have an additional pin on Tesla's map).

• Informative
Reactions: bmah