Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vacaville, CA (expanded in 2017, 16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, all! Found the eVgo station not far from the Supercharger at another end of the mall, by Aldo Shoes and the Police Security Office. Luckily we have the ChaDeMo adapter! We're going to walk back to the Supercharger to try to help the other folks arriving -- two other Teslas were there at about the same time as us. Why hasn't this been fixed by now?! How many days has it been?

Our navigation did NOT indicate there was a problem with the Supercharger here. We could have stopped in Dublin had we known.

Thanks, all! Found the eVgo station not far from the Supercharger at another end of the mall, by Aldo Shoes and the Police Security Office. Luckily we have the ChaDeMo adapter! We're going to walk back to the Supercharger to try to help the other folks arriving -- two other Teslas were there at about the same time as us. Why hasn't this been fixed by now?! How many days has it been?

Our navigation did NOT indicate there was a problem with the Supercharger here. We could have stopped in Dublin had we known.

We started discussing this problem here on TMC on Monday (20 March), but as far as I know you're the first person to post to TMC an eyewitness account of being onsite at Vacaville and that it's really and truly down. We have not heard any reports of what the cause is, but there have been several other Superchargers in California that are either on "reduced service" or "temporary closure" status. This is somewhat unsettling to say the least. Can you say what the stalls look like at Vacaville? Are any of them coned off or taped off? Do the pedestals and cables look intact? (Enquiring minds want to know... :))

You didn't see the problem on the nav display in your car? What happens if you touch the icon for the Vacaville Supercharger? (You should see a dialog box saying "temporary closure", whereas if you touch the icon for a working Supercharger like Napa you should see stall occupancy information, a set of amenities icons, and so on.) If the nav display is giving you wrong information, I'd recommend a call to Tesla roadside assistance reporting this (I know you probably have a lot to deal with right now, so no worries if you're too busy to do this).

Thanks for helping your fellow travellers...hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

Bruce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cascadian
Oops. Now I know we have to touch the icon in order to check that the Supercharger is functional. Indeed, navigation shows a temporary closure.

Yes, the 8 stalls all had cones. The ChaDeMo went for 30 minutes only. It cost $9-something. We are now headed for Corning, with 18% to spare. Wish us luck.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and DOCAL
Oops. Now I know we have to touch the icon in order to check that the Supercharger is functional. Indeed, navigation shows a temporary closure.

Yes, the 8 stalls all had cones. The ChaDeMo went for 30 minutes only. It cost $9-something. We are now headed for Corning, with 18% to spare. Wish us luck.

Cool. Thanks for the report. Good luck to you but you hopefully won't need it. Slow and steady...

Safe travels,

Bruce.

Cool. Thanks for the report. Good luck to you but you hopefully won't need it. Slow and steady...

Safe travels,

Bruce.

We're moving steadily (and slowly) behind a big truck, in nice weather, on flat terrain. I'm sure we'll make it. Thanks. :)

When we got there and saw the cones, Dear Hubby called Tesla Roadside Assistance while I immediately came to this forum. I know where to find the best answers! :) Unfortunately, DH was told by the Tesla gal that the chargers have been down since Sunday, they didn't know why, but that there was a Blink in the neighborhood. She didn't know about the nearby ChaDeMo, apparently. The Blink would have taken about 3 hours vs. the 30 minutes we got on the ChaDeMo. SO glad we have that adapter. Never know when you might need it. Like today!

Btw, forgot to reply about the looks of the stations and cables. All looked good, as far as we could see.

TheTesla gal thought there might be a problem with the Utility, but wouldn't know until the Supercharger team could look into it.

Dang it. Forget the comment about nice weather. Just started raining again. 0h wait. Now it stopped. LOL

Reactions: bmah
Just arrived at Vacaville without knowing about the temporary closure.
Hope you made it to Corning. Should be no problem if, after charging at the EVGo the car nav indicated you could make it with 18% remaining unless you hit a strong headwind and go too fast.

Question: when you arrived at Vacaville and were surprised the Supercharger was non-operational, did you have a nav route entered into the car that took you to Vacaville? Or had you not entered a nav route?

Hope you made it to Corning. Should be no problem if, after charging at the EVGo the car nav indicated you could make it with 18% remaining unless you hit a strong headwind and go too fast.

Question: when you arrived at Vacaville and were surprised the Supercharger was non-operational, did you have a nav route entered into the car that took you to Vacaville? Or had you not entered a nav route?

Made it fine. Sitting here now, happily charging. :)

Yes, the nav route was entered, but here's the thing... Apparently you have to touch the red Supercharger icon to ensure it's operational. We didn't realize that... now we do. I wish there were a way for a message to pop up if there is an issue. We would have been alerted soon enough to make alternate plans.

Again, thank heavens for the ChaDeMo adapter... and all you helpful folks on this board. :)

Reactions: bmah and DOCAL
Yes, the nav route was entered, but here's the thing... Apparently you have to touch the red Supercharger icon to ensure it's operational. We didn't realize that... now we do. I wish there were a way for a message to pop up if there is an issue.
Glad you made to Corning. I was asking because others have reported that, with a nav route entered, during their drive they did get a message indicating that the Supercharger they were headed towards was not operational and the nav route was going to change. It sounds like you never saw any message like that.

Yeah, all the EVGo CHAdeMO stations cut off after 30 min., then you have to put in another quarter, or rather lots of them. Apparently the company still thinks they're just for Leafs.

I was passing by (a couple hours after Cascadian was there) and knew the Vacaville supercharger was down, but I stopped in anyway just to take a look. When I routed to the supercharger in my nav, I did get a warning that it was "temporarily closed." When I got there every parking spot had an orange cone in the middle so as to block the chargers. Everything otherwise looked normal. I briefly considered trying to plug in and see what happens (I could move one of the cones easily), but decided against it for fear that my car or the charger could somehow be damaged (unlikely but given that the supercharger was clearly closed, there didn't seem to be much upside).

Glad you made to Corning. I was asking because others have reported that, with a nav route entered, during their drive they did get a message indicating that the Supercharger they were headed towards was not operational and the nav route was going to change. It sounds like you never saw any message like that.

Okay, this is interesting, and hopefully of use to others. Dear Hubby didn't tell it to navigate all the way to our home destination, he just said to navigate to the Vacaville Supercharger. Is it possible that if he had simply stated the home city, with several superchargers en route, that we would have been navigated in such a way as to bypass the non-operational one in Vacaville? We didn't get any message about Vacaville being down, but then again, had we touched the Supercharger icon we would have known it was out of commission.

Live and learn.

This is a major concern. I overheard Tesla owners discussing the Vacaville SC being down while charging at the San Mateo SC today. The story was that a perpetrator had jumped the wall to the transformers and cut the cables. Vandalism/Sabotage. Not good. As I recall there was a similar downtime for a SoCal SC earlier this year. Not sure what people are thinking, but definitely not environment fans. We will see if this is really true. I doubt Tesla will ever confirm the vandalism reason.

I doubt Tesla will release any specific information about the recent rash of Supercharger failures. We are only speculating. And I believe the Tesla owners you overheard at the San Mateo Supercharger were also only speculating.
It's a conundrum. If Tesla says anything about vandalism, theft, or whatever's happening at all the superchargers, it will make the news everywhere and just give ideas to other bad guys for copycat crimes. As unsatisfying as it is for us, they just need to find a way to quickly secure the sites better so it can't happen again but otherwise act as if it never happened.

Reactions: Blu Zap and bmah
Yay. Apparently Vacaville is back online. As far as vandalism goes, FWIW, Dear Hubby looked in the transformer enclosure and saw nothing amiss. As far as he could tell.
I did the same. The only thing I noticed was a couple of the grey metal cabinet doors looked like they were open as if someone had been working in there, but I'm not an electrician so didn't really have any idea what I was looking at.

This is my first time at Vacaville Supercharger.

Here, I experienced something very bad that I'm finding is a common theme in many Superchargers.

First, while entering, I encountered a huge amount of shopping parking lot traffic. But then, when leaving, I encountered a crushing amount of parking lot traffic, including one elderly lady crossing at a diagonal as if it were a market plaza. That was the main bush intersection for the entire shopping mall parking lot. I barely saw her behind two other crossing cars.

This is not an isolated problem for that one SuperCharger. Most of the SuperChargers are sited at locations with excess traffic intersections, excess foot traffic, excess parking lot traffic, and inferior break "amenities", really, needs, for human stretching, eating, drinking, and cleansing.

Essentially, issues that most gas stations have solved with quite good access locations and amenities appear to be missing in the SuperCharger network, and replaced with a hazardous amount of traffic, inviting horrible accidents as well as a lack of speed.

This will become more of an issue as Tesla's cars become more mainstream and integrated into non-retirement lifestyles, where people have real deadlines, competition, family and finance to achieve. Speed becomes a huge factor.

Tesla should quickly learn how to site its future SuperCharger network in ways compatible with road use of their vehicles. For now, that means looking toward the models already effective with gas stations as a way to correct for a lot of these inadequacies. This is irrespective of future enhancements from self driving: if the car acts like a slow bus, people will not use self driving for many trips, and volume will still exist needing fast SuperCharge access with appropriate human needs fulfilled (food, cleaning).

Tesla should quickly learn how to site its future SuperCharger network in ways compatible with road use of their vehicles. For now, that means looking toward the models already effective with gas stations as a way to correct for a lot of these inadequacies. This is irrespective of future enhancements from self driving: if the car acts like a slow bus, people will not use self driving for many trips, and volume will still exist needing fast SuperCharge access with appropriate human needs fulfilled (food, cleaning).
Have you been to Napa yet? It pretty much hits your requests on the mark. One problem though is the access road. I have seen it back up busy weekends while people try to avoid H37. Took me 20 minutes just to go two miles to the charger one day.