TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Valle d'Aosta (largest SC site to date)

Discussion in 'Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerlan' started by Manuel, Apr 23, 2015.

1. DGM73

DGM73 Member

Do you have the exact location?

2. Manuel

Manuel Member

It is on the highway Aosta/Torino, close to a gasoline station and Carrefour Supermarket.
    You can look for GPS coordinates at http://supercharge.info (precise with 100 m error).

3. pvandamcom

pvandamcom Member

Looks like the last pictures posted were from April 5, a full month ago. My trip is in 2 weeks, without any real news of a pending opening. I may contact Tesla again to find out. If anyone here has any additional updates it would be great.

4. Manuel

Manuel Member

I've been there today and nothing really changed from my last picture. They just covered the metal columns with the white plastic cover. The upper part of the roof is still "empty".
    It's a couple of weeks that nothing is really going on there. I don't know if they are waiting for the solar panels or if it was just the bad weather that contributed to the slowdown.

I'll probably visit the SC again in the weekend. I'll keep you updated of any progress.

5. Manuel

Manuel Member

Updated pictures. Solar panels still missing.

In the last picture there is a second "metal shed" that I didn't notice before. If this is part of the SC station as it seems, it could be the shed for the switchgear/cabinets/whatever is needed to make the 14 stalls work.
    If so, my guess is that the "white shed" is filled with Powerpacks or similar storage units.

Possibly more than 1 MWh storage looking at the dimensions (I think 10 Powerpaks can fit in there).

Superexcited!
    And it's just beautiful with the mountains in the background providing hydropower.

20150509_160345.jpg
    20150509_160119.jpg
    20150509_160547.jpg

6. pvandamcom

pvandamcom Member

Looks impressive indeed, and from your pictures it's clear that very little has happened in the last month. They must be waiting for some parts. I wish they could switch 2 stalls on to make the location at least operational.

I'm going to start to plan an alternative for my trip to Italy on May 22nd, it doesn't seem to be realistic to expect that they will finish on time.

My last stretch from Martigny to Laigueglia through Turin Airport is 405 km. With the climb to the St Bernard tunnel might become a challenge. We may need to plan a longer charge at the airport, or consider Milan/Dorno as alternative.

7. pvandamcom

pvandamcom Member

Last Thursday I passend by the Aosta site, knowing it would not be open yet, but wanted to take a few pictures.
    In fact the solar panels seem to have arrived and most of the roof looks covered in the solar panels. Still some street work to be done as well.
    No activity while we were there, and we did give the stall a try as separate (non solar) stalls looked very ready, but as expected no powered yet, but I guess I can probably claim to be one of the first there (without power though :)

Attached Files:

8. Manuel

Manuel Member

You've been unlucky. Now Tesla says it is officially open (and it actually looks clean and ready).
    You missed it for just a couple of days! But at least you can say you have been the first to plug-in. :biggrin:

9. pvandamcom

pvandamcom Member

Looks like we missed it by only one day! Amazing. I won't test it on the return trip as I will take a different route. So next time! And yes I must have one of the first to have plugged in

10. purrdey

purrdey New Member

Only in the North! Try driving to Rome, Naples, Barcelona, Valencia, etc - let alone Bari, Madrid, Malaga, Lisbon etc.

11. Nicoletta

Nicoletta Member

The Aosta SC site looks absolutely amazing with the solar canopy and the mountain backdrop. I cannot wait to see it, and hopefully use it, next time I'm in Italy.

12. darich4100

darich4100 New Member

The access of the Supercharger at Aosta from the GPS of the model S or from EVtripplanner is not really perfect. You loose 20 min.
    détour aosta.JPG

I was there last week (travel from Firenza to Switzerland) and I use this way:
    supercharger Aosta acces.JPG

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR

Wow, that's not an easy approach! And here I thought the Glenwood Springs Supercharger was hard to access...

Welcome to TMC, darich4100; thanks for showing us the way.

14. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

May be in the wrong thread, but was wondering of the challenges of the MS with Swiss mountains. For example, could one tackle the Stelvio Pass?

15. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

On the other hand it is perfect for any of us who are using the airport. From personal experience the approach by Tesla is a trifle easier, shorter and less 'exciting' than is the IFR approach by airplane. If anybody here is an IFR pilot you'll see what I mean! One must have both aircraft and pilot specially approved to fly this instrument approach. I really hope to use this Supercharger soon, I do love the area, and I'll follow your routing advice. LIMW_INSTRUMENT_APPROACH_CHART_IGS(NPA)_RWY_27.jpg

16. chiesr

chiesr Member

Darich4100. Is the supercharger accessible this way? I was checking StreetView, but it doesn't show access. Maybe pictures are outdated.
    I will be travelling tomorrow and plan to use Aosta SC.

Thanks for your help.

17. Manuel

Manuel Member

Yes chiesr, it is accessible this way. You have two stalls available. The others are for drivers on the highway arriving from France.
    Really strange disposition indeed.

18. kaneda

kaneda Member

I Supercharged there a couple of days ago and I used the suggested route.

it seems there is a 3rd option, as the SuC is divided in 3 zones. Apparently you can access some supercharger without having to exit the highway toll booth.

19. chiesr

chiesr Member

Thanks for all the feedback. There are 3 areas to charge. Here is a picture taken on my trip.
    image.jpeg

20. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Wow. That's a beautiful supercharger station.