Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valley Stream, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He could have simply looked at the nav system. It would have told him the max power of the supercharger.
I don’t expect a person who will not even consider a rational explanation being given to him to even notice the 72/120 power ratings on the SC map. I’m surprised he even thought to try different chargers. I guess he must be used to moving a lot when he “enslaves” himself to another car charging at a paired charger. He probably wouldn’t want to believe that explanation either.

Or he charges at the Paramus NJ location and is used to some chargers just being poor. I know I've shown up many times in the past to 8 empty stalls and some only go to 50 and others will do 110. Recently it has been much better there, I don't remember getting stuck at a bad charger in a while like I did the previous few years.

Last night navigation says 8 of 16 stalls available.
So out of curiosity I go there to see the 8 cars charging.
When I arrive I am the only car there.
I wonder why this location has been so inaccurate in this respect.
upload_2018-6-20_11-35-57.jpeg

We returned yesterday from our 4th trip, in four years, to Florida from LI. The nav system’s accuracy regarding how many cars were charging up was by far the worst on this trip. Every stop, but the last two, showed cars already at the location, even as we were approaching. Every time, we were the only car there. It doesn’t seem like Rocket Science to get that part right. Especially since Tesla is supposed to know where each of our cars are at any given time.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
We almost got stuck in Lumberton, NC on the way to Orlando, luckily a nice fellow warned us while charging at the Rocky Mt, NC. If I didn't mention to him that we were planning to charge there, we would have to find an alternate charge point. There were 3 down stalls at Rocky Mount as well while we were there. Scheduled for service today, I also suggested that they should include how many are out of service in each location so we can plan better, she agreed it's a great idea.
Otherwise call ahead to make sure.

We almost got stuck in Lumberton, NC on the way to Orlando, luckily a nice fellow warned us while charging at the Rocky Mt, NC. If I didn't mention to him that we were planning to charge there, we would have to find an alternate charge point. There were 3 down stalls at Rocky Mount as well while we were there. Scheduled for service today, I also suggested that they should include how many are out of service in each location so we can plan better, she agreed it's a great idea.
Otherwise call ahead to make sure.
We had the same problem in Rocky Mt. on June 21st. I moved to two or three different chargersto get enough range to get to Fayetteville (16stalls) 92 miles away.
We have avoided Lumberton on the last few trips since there are only 4 stalls. Florence, SC is only 89 miles from Fayetteville and Santee, SC is only 64 miles further, so avoiding Lumberton is easy.

• Informative
Reactions: Kalex
I’m here now. Have tried 4 different stalls all down the line and I’m maxing out at 27kw. Battery not cold, 47 degrees today. Super annoying after the last time I tried to charge in the area at jfk and only got 10kw at all stalls. :mad:

I’m here now. Have tried 4 different stalls all down the line and I’m maxing out at 27kw. Battery not cold, 47 degrees today. Super annoying after the last time I tried to charge in the area at jfk and only got 10kw at all stalls. :mad:
Just for the record, how many miles had you driven before you plugged in?
And how many miles of range were left before you plugged in?

47° is cold in Tesla land. At the normal 120 kW SC I usually range 34-60 kW in the winter (before any taper). These are Urban, where 72 kW is the absolute max. Your value seems normal, especially if your SOC was high.

The JFK supercharger is notoriously slow. Not sure about Valley Stream but as mentioned above, 47 degrees isn’t exactly optimal battery temp.

This site has been “reduced service” for at least a week now. I went and basically it was rapidly cycling between normal power and no power.
Did you move to other “banks” of chargers? That happened to me several weeks ago, well before the “Reduced Service” warning was being given. Back then, most pairs of chargers didn’t work, but a few did. I’m not sure what the problem is nor why it is taking so long to correct. This location is a nice alternative to JFK.

Did you move to other “banks” of chargers? That happened to me several weeks ago, well before the “Reduced Service” warning was being given. Back then, most pairs of chargers didn’t work, but a few did. I’m not sure what the problem is nor why it is taking so long to correct. This location is a nice alternative to JFK.

No I didn’t. Thought about it, but I only had a few minutes to spare. There was one other car there at the time but I wasn’t able to tell if that one was charging normally. Will probably try again in a few days.

Just in case anyone was wondering, it's still reporting reduced service and reports 12/16 stalls open. I tried a few banks and they weren't working. I had enough charge to reach a more eastern Supercharger so I just left.