Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going with the whole bikes on the back physiology. When I'm carrying bikes the pull in forwards ones work great and the back in ones not so great. So here, where they are all back in, I'd pick this sideways stall first when I'm carrying my bikes. I've just called the Hampton Inn Van Horn TX and they stated that the Superchargers ARE NOT all lit up red just yet.... Phooey!

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
That seems to be a trend for recently completed superchargers, with all but one stall back-in and one for side attachment. However this is the very FIRST I have seen where one had to back into that side stall. EVERY other one is on the drivers side when pulled in forward, in my experience. I think this one is a boo-boo, as @ReddyLeaf says above.

I agree with the first part of your post, but am skeptical about the last sentence.

I agree with the first part of your post, but am skeptical about the last sentence.

You may be right. Having the configuration as built does add some value over having all the chargers directly behind the backed-in car. There may have been constraints we don't know about preventing a nose-first space.

Here' the configuration down the road in Junction:

junction01010217-jpg.208937

We can see that they COULD easily have put the sideways unit at the other end next to the curb, like the one in Van Horn. Instead, they built the island out so that a car can pull in forward to charge. (thanks to @charliepmayer for the photo)

We can see that they COULD easily have put the sideways unit at the other end next to the curb, like the one in Van Horn. Instead, they built the island out so that a car can pull in forward to charge. (thanks to @charliepmayer for the photo)
Again, consider accessibility. It would be difficult for someone in a a wheelchair to access the pedestals behind the curbs, but straightforward to use this "drive in" pedestal, or the one in Van Horn.

Again, consider accessibility. It would be difficult for someone in a a wheelchair to access the pedestals behind the curbs, but straightforward to use this "drive in" pedestal, or the one in Van Horn.

You may be right -- I know little about accessibility issues. It seems that a physically challenged driver would have difficulty getting out with a curb next to the door. It is a wider space so they could park further from the curb, but the cord on the SC is pretty short.

Regarding BerTX's comments -

while I certainly agree that a pull-through site - a hugely space-hogging proposition - is the easiest for any vehicle with any trailer, I constantly wonder what it is so mysteriously difficult about a back-in site.

To my modest experience, any front-in site does require a backing-out maneuver. If you are pulling a trailer, you're going to have to perform the exercise either empty of electrons, or full of them.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Regarding BerTX's comments -

while I certainly agree that a pull-through site - a hugely space-hogging proposition - is the easiest for any vehicle with any trailer, I constantly wonder what it is so mysteriously difficult about a back-in site.

To my modest experience, any front-in site does require a backing-out maneuver. If you are pulling a trailer, you're going to have to perform the exercise either empty of electrons, or full of them.

I'm not sure I understand your point. A car pulling a trailer can (if parking lot configuration allows) pull head-first into the stall without disconnecting the trailer. Yes, they will have to back out, but they will not have to disconnect the trailer.

No way a car can back into a stall with the trailer attached.

Thanks, @Tyl

We are headed out there on Thursday, and that is a big load off. Going on Wednesday to Junction and Ozona, then an hour of charging at Iraan and on to Davis Mountains SP, where we'll charge at a TT-30 outlet overnight. Checking on Fort Stockton construction startup possibilities along the way.

Thursday AM, off to Van Horn, then up to Pecos to see if we see any construction activity there. Then back to Davis Mtns SP overnight, and back home on Friday.

I couldn't get a 50 amp site in the park, and the Van Horn SC being open definitely makes that whole thing doable without worrying too much about how much charge I can get in the park.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Tyl

We are headed out there on Thursday, and that is a big load off. Going on Wednesday to Junction and Ozona, then an hour of charging at Iraan and on to Davis Mountains SP, where we'll charge at a TT-30 outlet overnight. Checking on Fort Stockton construction startup possibilities along the way.

Thursday AM, off to Van Horn, then up to Pecos to see if we see any construction activity there. Then back to Davis Mtns SP overnight, and back home on Friday.

I couldn't get a 50 amp site in the park, and the Van Horn SC being open definitely makes that whole thing doable without worrying too much about how much charge I can get in the park.
Thanks for planning to check out Pecos and Fort Stockton. I'm hoping for good news!

We pretty well know where to look in Fort Stockton since there is a permit there, but no clues in Pecos. That's what the SC in Van Horn will help -- more flexibility to look for construction.
Has anyone actually used this location? It's been a couple of days and it's not on Tesla's supercharger web site. I know the future map is a WAG, but I thought they were pretty good at keeping the "open now" map up to date.

Reactions: BerTX
Has anyone actually used this location? It's been a couple of days and it's not on Tesla's supercharger web site. I know the future map is a WAG, but I thought they were pretty good at keeping the "open now" map up to date.

I wonder about that, too. I'll find out for sure on Thursday!

If I remember right, Junction was tested, the stall numbers installed, then turned off for a few days for some reason, then back on and published on the map. I'm hoping that is not the case here, but I'm being careful not to rely on the Van Horn Supercharger being open for my trip. If it is, that will be great.

I'm hoping that maybe, since the testing was done on Friday, putting it on the map fell through the cracks due to the weekend.

I have noticed that the Ozona Supercharger is a little flaky on the in-car map -- sometimes it is there, and sometimes not. Not sure what mechanism would cause that. That one needs to be there for my trip, so I hope whatever harmonics that have it moving between universes are in sync with our arrival, and it is actually there...