Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over a year and still broken? Planning on driving from Austin to LA next week - Van Horn is necessary, huh? Maybe I bring my Chademo and do an hour @ the Days Inn instead.
Barring some extreme hypermiling techniques, you will definitely need to stop for a top off in Van Horn. If you are traveling during the week, I'm sure you will find a functioning open stall, but you may need to jockey the car around until you find one that works well. There's nothing within walking distance but they do let you hang out in the hotel lobby and get a drink of water or whatever. All in all, this is a forgettable supercharger, but we take what we can get in this part of the country.

What's the long-term plan here?

With Supercharger - Van Horn, TX - Broadway Street (a V3) opening across the street and a less-than-enthused host here, is this SC'ers days limited?
Did they take out the supercharger located in the hamption hotel in Van Horn? Tesla no longer has it listed, but other sites do. Why did they take it out?
Is the OG Van Horn SC officially put to bed?

Supercharge.info still lists it but if Tesla's dropped it...

Not that it really makes any difference to the reality that this SC is closed, something isn’t right about the idea of Tesla drivers trashing the bathrooms.

PlugShare has posts that go back to March, 2017. If anyone wrote something about the hotel, comments were always very positive - up until this spring.

Besides Tesla drivers doing the trashing, perhaps some drunken anti-EV types (this is oil country) did the trashing, then told the staff they saw a Tesla driver exit the bathroom. But, this has not happened at either the new SC at Porter's grocery or the Electrify America site.

Or. maybe a former disgruntled employee who said he was ratting on Tesla drivers.

Or, maybe a change in ownership and/or management.

Again, it doesn't make any difference. The last time I was there in March, all was well.

@PLUS EV - the Hampton Inn was not really setup to capture extra revenue from serving Tesla customers IMHO, or at least compared to a spot like a Buc-ee’s or a mixed use commercial area.

Coupled with high occupancy rates (which they had…I always asked) and Tesla’s desire to expand the SC, the host just may have made a perfectly reasonable business decision to ask Tesla to relocate the SC.

In any event EV drivers get a V3 with more stalls and a host who’s better geared to sell refreshments than the HI was. Could be worse.

@PLUS EV - the Hampton Inn was not really setup to capture extra revenue from serving Tesla customers IMHO, or at least compared to a spot like a Buc-ee’s or a mixed use commercial area.

Coupled with high occupancy rates (which they had…I always asked) and Tesla’s desire to expand the SC, the host just may have made a perfectly reasonable business decision to ask Tesla to relocate the SC.

In any event EV drivers get a V3 with more stalls and a host who’s better geared to sell refreshments than the HI was. Could be worse.
In general, hotels are great hosts for destination chargers but IMHO not for Superchargers. There are really no positives that I see for a Supercharger at a hotel. I’d prefer to see Tesla stop pursuing these locations. I think we create more controversy and enemies of The Mission at hotel sites.

This is not good. Don't know about ya'll but my P3 would struggle to make it from the Pecos SC to the El Paso SC (~225 miles) if I was cruising at 80-85 mph, which is the appropriate speed on I10 in that area.
It’s replaced by this one -

It’s replaced by this one -
Sweet! thankyou! Looks to be coming online fast.