Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fort Stockton, TX Supercharger permit applied
Submitted by vperl on December 1, 2016
Talked to city of Fort Stockton,TX 11am Pacific today, gave address and information about the next SUPERCHARGER location.

Permit being issued.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fstfi-fairfield-inn-and-suites-for...

2571 I-10 Service Road (zip) 79735

This is indeed wonderful information!!!! However, I don't believe this is the Supercharger I heard about in Van Horn!! Starting another new Supercharger thread for Fort Stockton!!! Keep'm coming!!

Hummm..... Hampton Inn Van Horn TX sure seems like a good candidate location for a supercharger in Van Horn TX. so...... I called them to see if anyone new about one being installed soon, plans, a n y t h i n g ?? Phooey.... nothing known so far!!! Now, for you folks that travel that neck of the woods, please stop in and check around the few locations that would be good fits for a supercharger. It's gonna take some boots on the ground exploring to discover a supercharger in Van Horno_O rrrgggghh, Nothing known at the Quality Inn either. Hey ... some good news.. City of Van Horn has confirmed that Tesla has a permit on file with them but the city couldn't release any other information without a written request.

Last edited:
... some good news.. City of Van Horn has confirmed that Tesla has a permit on file with them but the city couldn't release any other information without a written request.

Van Horn, TX is the next logical spot for a SC. Going west from San Antonio, it means one could use I-10 west with the last stop in TX being El Paso (once they have a SC).

If not a Tesla Supercharger, I am wondering if HIE (Holiday Inn Express) is putting in maybe a 40A Tesla charger. I used one at HIE in Solvang, CA a couple weeks ago. Very fast. IHG and Marriott Brands are Tesla fans. Also need to finish the portion from El Paso, TX to Tucson, AZ.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, a lot of Superchargers are built at locations, where there is/are restaurants, hotels, and other amenities all within a couple hundred feet of each other. A suggested Tesla Supercharger installation available around 1/15 is consistent with Holiday Inn Express & Suites (opening) accepting reservations on 2/13/17 here:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Van Horn

Can anyone verify there is a new HIE hotel at or around 1805 SE Frontage Road, Van Horn, Texas? Drill down on google maps shows a Super 8 hotel and McDonalds but plenty of room for new building. Also note that google maps shows an unspecified IHG hotel (like HIE) further east on Frontage Road at the corner of Laurel and Frontage (google "hotels in Van Horn TX"). In-any-case, I think it will be somewhere between these two locations. Marriott and IHG brands are Tesla friendly and are located very near Superchargers or install Tesla (destination) chargers on their properties.

Last edited:
Hummm..... Hampton Inn Van Horn TX sure seems like a good candidate location for a supercharger in Van Horn TX. so...... I called them to see if anyone new about one being installed soon, plans, a n y t h i n g ?? Phooey.... nothing known so far!!! Now, for you folks that travel that neck of the woods, please stop in and check around the few locations that would be good fits for a supercharger. It's gonna take some boots on the ground exploring to discover a supercharger in Van Horno_O rrrgggghh, Nothing known at the Quality Inn either. Hey ... some good news.. City of Van Horn has confirmed that Tesla has a permit on file with them but the city couldn't release any other information without a written request.

That's good news! It might even be enough detail for addition to supercharge.info. What do you think @BlueShift ?

Hampton Inn Van Horn TX sure seems like a good candidate location for a supercharger in Van Horn

Doing a little research, Hampton Inn probably has a little better chance than HIE or Marriott. Also note there are currently four Super 8 hotel destination chargers in the network. The address I provided in #27 is directly in front of the Super 8 hotel. Maybe another HIE hotel nearby to the Super 8 and McDonalds across the road? Plenty of room in that Super 8 parking lot for a SC.

Come to think of it, a lot of Superchargers are built at locations, where there is/are restaurants, hotels, and other amenities all within a couple hundred feet of each other. A suggested Tesla Supercharger installation available around 1/15 is consistent with Holiday Inn Express & Suites (opening) accepting reservations on 2/13/17 here:

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Van Horn

Can anyone verify there is a new HIE hotel at or around 1805 SE Frontage Road, Van Horn, Texas? Drill down on google maps shows a Super 8 hotel and McDonalds but plenty of room for new building. Also note that google maps shows an unspecified IHG hotel (like HIE) further east on Frontage Road at the corner of Laurel and Frontage (google "hotels in Van Horn TX"). In-any-case, I think it will be somewhere between these two locations. Marriott and IHG brands are Tesla friendly and are located very near Superchargers or install Tesla (destination) chargers on their properties.

1905 frontage road, van horn, tx - Google Search

That indicates a Quality Inn at that address.

Yelp suggests that there was an HIE, but it closed:
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Van Horn - CLOSED - Van Horn, TX

The address in the link above maps to the corner of Laurel and Frontage road, also indicating they will start accepting reservations on February 12, 2017. They moved and sold the old property? 1905 SW Frontage Rd was the old address and the new address is 1805 SE Frontage Rd is the new address.

Ah got it. Yes, that appears to be a new location.

So, all we need is to get a Tesla owner who's passing by on I-10 to scout it out.

Doing a little research, Hampton Inn probably has a little better chance than HIE or Marriott. Also note there are currently four Super 8 hotel destination chargers in the network. The address I provided in #27 is directly in front of the Super 8 hotel. Maybe another HIE hotel nearby to the Super 8 and McDonalds across the road? Plenty of room in that Super 8 parking lot for a SC.
Hotel brand names are really irrelevant. The brands don't own or operate the hotels, they're just marketing organizations. The hotels are owned by different companies that you've probably never heard of and one company may own hotels operating under different brand names. It's the hotel owner that matters when deciding to install destination charging or contract with Tesla to host a supercharging station

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It seems Blueshift agrees, it just popped up on sc.info :)
I've always thought that Van Horn was a likely location because it would serve both I-10 and I-20 travel. My concern/confusion was that it was never shown on the Tesla 2016 map. It's absence always seemed strange since it represented an obvious gap in the I-10 corridor. Anyone have an idea why it's not shown other than we should't trust anything on the Tesla 2016 map as accurate? BTW, isn't it time for a 2017 map?

It seems Blueshift agrees, it just popped up on sc.info :)
Well, it's there without an address. He did the same thing for Brush, CO, where somebody has an official notification of the town, without precise details.

I hope that both are right, because they're important connections.

So if Van Horn, TX is now set, as well as I-10 west, people should be looking for signs of Midland, TX finishing I-20 west to connect to I-10.

Given the remote areas like this, there are only a relatively few towns for the SC's. Midland-Odessa is a given. I'm guessing that Lubbock might be a future possibility as well.

Given the remote areas like this, there are only a relatively few towns for the SC's. Midland-Odessa is a given. I'm guessing that Lubbock might be a future possibility as well.

Pecos will be needed to connect Midland to Van Horn with more reasonable spacing. There is a destination charger at the Best Western in Pecos, perhaps that will be upgraded to a supercharger station?

Pecos will be needed to connect Midland to Van Horn with more reasonable spacing. There is a destination charger at the Best Western in Pecos, perhaps that will be upgraded to a supercharger station?

I've heard someone with more local knowledge suggest Midland (something along the lines of one of the Cisco/Sweetwater property owners also had a property at Midland, but don't quote me on that).
If that was the case then due to spacing, Pecos would be very likely.