Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually live in Van Horn here and just moved my Model 3 out here today.
Can confirm SC 4A & 4B still do not work. Tried 3B today and worked nominally.
Also taking the 54 highway North out of the town towards the caverns AP shows 55mph max which makes it a street so only lets you go 60 when really it is 70mph, so that is unfortunate. Sent an email to support about SC and the speed limits.

Forewarning for winter West Texas travelers, it is normally 15-30 F right now and definitely triggers low tire pressure. Came from the west coast and it dropped from 40 to 35 psia on all 4. There is a credit card paid air pump at the Love's on the east side of town (opposite side of SC unfortunately).

Anyone have any charging advice for heading south towards Marfa/Alpine/Big Bend? Alpine has a college and brewery but don't think I want to test it at about 210 miles roundtrip from VH plus whatever you drive in town doing things. I couldn't find any indications on other apps that there were 220/240 V chargers.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Also taking the 54 highway North out of the town towards the caverns AP shows 55mph max which makes it a street so only lets you go 60 when really it is 70mph, so that is unfortunate. Sent an email to support about SC and the speed limits.

Forewarning for winter West Texas travelers, it is normally 15-30 F right now and definitely triggers low tire pressure. Came from the west coast and it dropped from 40 to 35 psia on all 4. There is a credit card paid air pump at the Love's on the east side of town (opposite side of SC unfortunately).

Anyone have any charging advice for heading south towards Marfa/Alpine/Big Bend? Alpine has a college and brewery but don't think I want to test it at about 210 miles roundtrip from VH plus whatever you drive in town doing things. I couldn't find any indications on other apps that there were 220/240 V chargers.
Plugshare.com shows a two nema 14-50 at The Stable Performance Cars 511 W Holland Ave, Alpine TX 79830

@charliepmayer is probably the resident expert on L2 charging in that area. You might check out Far West Texas Charging

Reactions: mociaf9
Anyone happen to know if pedestals 4A & 4B at VH are still farkled? Thanks in advance.

I am all but certain the speed limit data is still absolutely broken. Just one of the banes of my AP2 existence and in no small measure also why I continue to search for an AP1 car very similar to what I had before.

As a same-dollar, and presumably similar practical tread life, but hopefully even just 1 dB quieter comparison against the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM-4s, I've been running a set of Pirelli Cinturatos at 50psi (per manual for S90D 19", but not per doorplate oddly enough) - thanks for the reminder that they'll drop to 45psi for a couple days. Looks like 31F for a low into West Texas and probably low- to mid-40s on the way out this coming weekend.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Anyone happen to know if pedestals 4A & 4B at VH are still farkled? Thanks in advance.

I am all but certain the speed limit data is still absolutely broken. Just one of the banes of my AP2 existence and in no small measure also why I continue to search for an AP1 car very similar to what I had before.

As a same-dollar, and presumably similar practical tread life, but hopefully even just 1 dB quieter comparison against the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM-4s, I've been running a set of Pirelli Cinturatos at 50psi (per manual for S90D 19", but not per doorplate oddly enough) - thanks for the reminder that they'll drop to 45psi for a couple days. Looks like 31F for a low into West Texas and probably low- to mid-40s on the way out this coming weekend.

So, what did you find, where the Pirellis noticeably quieter than the OEMs? I have a March 2017 build S75D. I changed out the OEMs after 20,000 miles even though they still had a lot of tread remaining, but to my ears they had been getting noisier over time. I've been driving around for several months now on the Pirellis, set at 45 PSI as recommended. They're definitely quieter, even now, almost a year later.

My next thought is to have a local auto audio company add sound insulation to all the doors and the rear hatch, as well as the wheel well liners. Maybe, if it's not too expensive, I'll them do the floor pan too. But the door panels and wheel well liners to start.

Please feel free to message me in private since I don't want to hijack this thread.

This is definitely off-topic, but I've done my last 35k miles with those same Pirellis. I guess I am not super sensitive to tire noise because I haven't really noticed it much with any tire. The Pirellis have been durable and I haven't had any leaks. I have had a hell of a time with leaky tires in general over my 145k miles of driving a Model S, so that has been nice. My one complaint with the Pirellis is they always feel like they are hydroplaning in even moderate rain. Note that I haven't actually hydroplaned off the road or anything and I'm not even sure if it's just a sensation of hydroplaning or if the car actually is hydroplaning, but either way it is highly disconcerting and I have gotten in the habit of driving <50mph in any moderate or heavy rain, just to be safe. This is basically like half the year in Seattle and the locals blow by you like you're a moron for driving that slow in the rain so this has been kind of annoying. Anyways, I'm curious if you guys have had any similar experience with those tires. I'm driving a March 2018 S100D.

• Informative
They were still down as of a month ago. I did a West Texas trip report that you might appreciate here:

West Texas superchargers

Saw they were still down upthread, which is what prompted the question. I'm familiar with the majority of Texas SCs but was hoping for very recent intel - as in the last few days to a week.

My fallback option the last couple years after it got pretty bad during back to back trips is to wait until I encounter the first bad pedestal. I then call Tesla with a list of the next 7, 10, 12 or however many SCs I'll visit in the next x days, and get status up front. They're happy to provide the info since the feature request for more Nav intel ain't close to being implemented. Now that phone support is no longer 24/7 I suppose I should make that phone/chat.

So, what did you find, where the Pirellis noticeably quieter than the OEMs? I have a March 2017 build S75D. I changed out the OEMs after 20,000 miles even though they still had a lot of tread remaining, but to my ears they had been getting noisier over time. I've been driving around for several months now on the Pirellis, set at 45 PSI as recommended. They're definitely quieter, even now, almost a year later.

My next thought is to have a local auto audio company add sound insulation to all the doors and the rear hatch, as well as the wheel well liners. Maybe, if it's not too expensive, I'll them do the floor pan too. But the door panels and wheel well liners to start.

Please feel free to message me in private since I don't want to hijack this thread.

Interesting. if you've not already, do consider a read through some of the threads about sound abatement efforts both here and in the tesla.com fora.

I'll respond about the Pirellis below.

This is definitely off-topic, but I've done my last 35k miles with those same Pirellis. I guess I am not super sensitive to tire noise because I haven't really noticed it much with any tire. The Pirellis have been durable and I haven't had any leaks. I have had a hell of a time with leaky tires in general over my 145k miles of driving a Model S, so that has been nice. My one complaint with the Pirellis is they always feel like they are hydroplaning in even moderate rain. Note that I haven't actually hydroplaned off the road or anything and I'm not even sure if it's just a sensation of hydroplaning or if the car actually is hydroplaning, but either way it is highly disconcerting and I have gotten in the habit of driving <50mph in any moderate or heavy rain, just to be safe. This is basically like half the year in Seattle and the locals blow by you like you're a moron for driving that slow in the rain so this has been kind of annoying. Anyways, I'm curious if you guys have had any similar experience with those tires. I'm driving a March 2018 S100D.

I found the Michelin OEMs to be very noisy the last 1/3 of their 53K life - I could have gotten 60K out of them before hitting 2/32" all around but the noise (louder in some states more than others) was not fun.

The Pirellis did have a disturbing, wobbly feel when new. Now, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way into their estimated life (they carry a 70K tread life warranty but good luck getting Pirelli to honor it - which is definitely a mark in Michelin's favor despite only being warranted to 45K miles - a number easily exceeded btw - as Michelin is much easier with whom to deal), and inflated to 50psi instead of 45psi (antithetical to say the least), they've been fine - and we've been watching for Ark sightings the past few weeks in SoCal, which is to say it's been a tad damp.

West Texas happens to be one of the places where I remember the Michelins getting loud. Will be interesting to see how the Pirellis do in particular between El Paso and For(got)t(en no longer) Stockton - e.g., through Van Horn.

The other reason for the curiosity about Van Horn is that the festivities this Saturday after the Golden Spike Ceremony down the road in FS will be in Fort Davis. While there are indeed 2 L2 chargers at the hotel, there are about 10 cars staying there - so I'm not counting on an overnight charge. Even if I left the following morning fully charged, my recollection is that it's uphill to El Paso and 211 miles at 35F at speed with a 15 knot headwind is pushing it. Shades of the Badlands and all that.

One benefit of camping just outside of town is that for an extra $10 I will get a site with NEMA 14-50. So you can strike one vehicle off that competition list. Still, it will be busy at the DCs.

Very nice. Yer a braver man than I, given that it's going to get a tad nippy in the wee dawn hours - at least according to Weather Underground.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Very nice. Yer a braver man than I, given that it's going to get a tad nippy in the wee dawn hours - at least according to Weather Underground.
It'll be okay, packing appropriately. Looked at the tent today, didn't like how it was looking. So we'll be "RVing" I think. Means that in a pinch we can use the newly added Camper mode, since we're plugged in.

I've not yet proper slept in the back of the Model 3. Looking forward to how it does. Purchased a nice foamy full length yoga mat in December for this purpose. But only got one, oops, so me and the kid will rock-paper-scissors for it.....or I will pull rank with the excuse that I'm being a good parent by "tempering her in the forge of adversity". :p

Reactions: TaoJones
2B, 4A and 4B not working during our visit today - people had nicely wrapped the charging cables around top of unit to signify out of order.

PS read through thread and noticed a couple years back someone was NOT staying at the hotel, stopped to charge and took advantage of the free guest breakfast... very tacky and bad way to repay hotel for hosting the supercharger.

2A apparently not working either. I was at the Van Horn SC earlier this morning and saw four of the eight superchargers with their cables wrapped around the top of the units. It does not present a very good image of Tesla to the many travelers who stay at this frequently sold out Hampton Inn. Seems that 4A and 4B have been off-line for a very long time.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf