Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vancouver, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you, too little chargers. So is this seen as a destination charger? If so then I think their purpose is not for daily/frequent charging (which for Condo dwellers we sometimes need).

Does anyone know what speed this charges at? Is it slower than the superchargers at Squamish or Tsawwassen? Apparently constant use of Super Chargers is also not good for our battery (
)

Tsawwassen mills charger is a 120kwh charger. It goes really fast with your TM3. I think about around 700km/hr. This photo was of a friend of mine in Merrit with his new TM3. He capped out at 754km/h. I think Tsawwassen should be the same.

Attachments

• TM3 SC 729kmh.jpg
    TM3 SC 729kmh.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 208
I agree with you, too little chargers. So is this seen as a destination charger? If so then I think their purpose is not for daily/frequent charging (which for Condo dwellers we sometimes need).

Does anyone know what speed this charges at? Is it slower than the superchargers at Squamish or Tsawassen? Apparently constant use of Super Chargers is also not good for our battery (
)

These are NOT destination chargers. They are called urban superchargers and can charge up to 72kw which will yield significant range in 30-45 mins. Slower than the regular 120kw superchargers but not slow by any means. Also please don’t treat this as a destination charger (plug in and leave for a few hrs). You will be blocking the use for someone else and most likely tack on idle fees.

Anyone know if these will charge 80% off the battery in 30 mins - or are they slower/ faster ?

Does anyone know what speed this charges at? Is it slower than the superchargers at Squamish or Tsawassen? Apparently constant use of Super Chargers is also not good for our battery

This charger appears to be the new urban charger, capped at 72kW.

Older style / highway superchargers run at up to 120kW.

Note that smaller battery Model S and Xs (e.g. the 75D that I have) can only take about 96kW of charge rate, so will never get the full charge rate of the highway superchargers. Bigger batteries in the Model S and X can get the highest charge rate.

I saw mine bounce momentarily up to 99kW once, and often it flirts with 97kW or 98kW for fractions of a second when first revving up, if I start charging with a relatively empty battery.

I'm not sure if the Model 3 with long-range battery (which I believe is about 75kWh) is also capped at ~96kW charge rate or not.

Anyway, no, you won't get your battery to 80% in 30 minutes with these chargers:

72 kW x 1 hour = 72kWh of energy (which is the approximate "usable" energy in my 75D--I think I read the Model 3 long range battery has an actual usable > 75kWh energy in it though).

therefore 72 kW x 30 minutes = 36kWh of energy

36kWh is about 1/2 my battery charge; it's probably slightly less than 1/2 a Model 3 long range battery.

So, IF the charger charges at its max rate for 30 straight minutes (which it very well likely will NOT--plus there will be a little ramp up time of maybe a minute to start anyway), then you will have slightly less than 50% charge, NOT 80% charge.

And, no, don't use superchargers for charging all the time if you can avoid it--the experts suggest it decreases life span of the battery (although I feel like I've seen empirical evidence that it is NOT harming life, or did I dream that?).

Much more importantly, though, I think, is do NOT charge to 100% regularly. Do it when you're going to drive huge distances, for sure. Don't worry about that. But do NOT do it every single time you charge for daily driving. THAT will degrade your battery faster.

I mention that because if you're a condo dweller and using superchargers like gas stations for regular charging, you might be tempted to charge to the max to decrease your # of visits. Don't.

Dr. Dahn at Dalhousie (Tesla's main academic battery guy) tweeted once to charge to 70% on a daily basis. Don't let the battery die; don't charge it full. That is probably the best wisdom to maximize battery life.

(Not that this will matter too much. Your battery is big enough that small decreases in its ability to hold charge won't affect your life in any real way over the life of your car.)

Swung by there today - very tidy installation. They’re a bit tight to swing in and out of, but the biggest thing to watch is the height of the kerbs, which will ding a Model S if you open your driver’s door enthusiastically

As for paying for parking, I think if you’re there for a swift top up, you might be able to get in and out without cost. There are no in/out barriers - the ticket machine requires your licence plate

Also, because the chargers are essentially stacked in pairs, one in front of the other, this isn’t necessarily somewhere you’re going to ‘park’

Thanks to whoever left the little air freshener gifts on the chargers!

Attachments

• 7076BDFE-B5B6-4586-B19E-1B9123CA930A.jpeg
    7076BDFE-B5B6-4586-B19E-1B9123CA930A.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 72CA9E9B-F2AA-4BC4-AED2-C9283174364E.jpeg
    72CA9E9B-F2AA-4BC4-AED2-C9283174364E.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 175

Swung by there today - very tidy installation. They’re a bit tight to swing in and out of, but the biggest thing to watch is the height of the kerbs, which will ding a Model S if you open your driver’s door enthusiastically

As for paying for parking, I think if you’re there for a swift top up, you might be able to get in and out without cost. There are no in/out barriers - the ticket machine requires your licence plate

Also, because the chargers are essentially stacked in pairs, one in front of the other, this isn’t necessarily somewhere you’re going to ‘park’

Thanks to whoever left the little air freshener gifts on the chargers!

Cool star man air freshener !

What's the deal with the plugshare listing of this location. Yesterday it listed the plug type as 8 destination wall connectors so i reported the inaccuracy to change it to a Supercharger. Now today its listed as a single wall outlet that is restricted and coming soon.

What's the deal with the plugshare listing of this location. Yesterday it listed the plug type as 8 destination wall connectors so i reported the inaccuracy to change it to a Supercharger. Now today its listed as a single wall outlet that is restricted and coming soon.
I’m guessing some Tesla-owner created that unofficial entry on Plugshare before an “official” Supercharger entry was posted by whoever handles those. It seems mere mortal end-users can't create/edit entries with the correct type of Supercharger plug i.e. the orange-pinned locations, rather than the green-pinned ones. I noticed similar issue the first few days the Tsawwassen Mills SC came online. Presumably an official SC entry will appear soon for this location.

Reactions: GHammer
This layout is also used in the Berlin, VT supercharger. I think this layout is great. It helps to convey the message that these are not parking spots.

Good point here - that's true but what if you needed 40-1hr worth of parking and wanted to leave the lot, does the car in front block the one behind or I suppose you can reverse out as if it were a gas station?

Does anyone know the charging speeding?

Good point here - that's true but what if you needed 40-1hr worth of parking and wanted to leave the lot, does the car in front block the one behind or I suppose you can reverse out as if it were a gas station?

Does anyone know the charging speeding?
Yes, the car in front can block you in, but you can easily reverse out

The charge rate is as per the urban Supercharger specification

I didn’t notice any labelling, so presumably these chargers are not paired and can deliver the maximum rate regardless

Yes, the car in front can block you in, but you can easily reverse out

The charge rate is as per the urban Supercharger specification

I didn’t notice any labelling, so presumably these chargers are not paired and can deliver the maximum rate regardless

my understanding is that the 72kW "urban" superchargers don't do the paired charge sharing as per the older 120kW Superchargers, i.e. each plug gets up to a full 72kW (I've yet to try charging at an urban SC myself)

Tesla Urban Supercharger: Compact 72 kW Stations Designed For City Centers

I'm going to try to get the official word from Tesla or Impark (which owns the lot) but I strongly suspect that you do not have to pay for parking while using the chargers.

As others have noted, this is a pay-by-plate lot. There's no gate at the entry or exit, you're just expected to go to a pay station and pay for your time (or use Hangtag). The lot is periodically patrolled to ensure compliance. So, no need to have a "paid" ticket to exit. That said ...

People who are not charging cannot park in these spots; they're set up more like gas station aisles than like regular parking spaces (unlike some parking spots on the first level, which are used for Modo and Zip cars, including EVs.) These were specially modified by & for Tesla, which strongly suggests that Tesla has a long-term parking lease on them.

Moreover, even Tesla owners can't park there when they're not actively charging. Tesla dings you for leaving your car connected after the charge is complete, and that cost is 50¢ per minute ... a lot more than the normal parking fee at that lot.

So, my guess: Tesla has a lease on those spots, they're only for Tesla drivers, and only for their use while actively charging (or you pay a lot more).

When I get confirmation on this I'll post it.

PS: Note that when a Modo or Zip car driver parks in any "regular" lot, or at a parking meter, they pay for parking like anyone else. When they park in reserved spots for Modo and Zip cars, however, including the ones in this parkade, they pay nothing. That's because Modo and Zip lease those spots. The Tesla chargers most likely employ the same concept ... like these car share services, and the car wash in that same parking lot (where, again, you don't pay for parking), Tesla almost certainly has a long term lease on a piece of the lot.

PS: Note that when a Modo or Zip car driver parks in any "regular" lot, or at a parking meter, they pay for parking like anyone else. When they park in reserved spots for Modo and Zip cars, however, including the ones in this parkade, they pay nothing. That's because Modo and Zip lease those spots. The Tesla chargers most likely employ the same concept ... like these car share services, and the car wash in that same parking lot (where, again, you don't pay for parking), Tesla almost certainly has a long term lease on a piece of the lot.
Not really, most of the Cadillac Fairview properties are paying to have the Superchargers installed there. it is not Tesla who leases the space. It Is Cadillac Fairview who asks Tesla firsthand to have a Supercharger there and, *correct me if I’m wrong* I think that they’re the ones paying for the electricity or sometimes the chargers themselves, and the parking spaces in question, since it is where they want it installed, they are sort of forced to give up a designated area.

I’m not sure if it’s the same concept as in buying normal chargers (like ChargePoint or Flo) where I was told that it was the property owner who purchased the chargers and would charge his fair fee for the users. Now there are different ways to go on this. 1: Some decide to make you pay for both parking and charging, 2: some make you pay for charging, and while charging your parking is free, 3: and the main case is when they pay for parking, and the charging is complimentary, this situation.