Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vancouver, WA - NE Vancouver Mall Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious if they’re operated by Tesla or if it’s kind of a hybrid of the destination program. Possibly Tesla offered for supply the equipment AND in this case the install cost (since they were building anyway) but the electricity is billed via the mall?

Normally Tesla just supplies equipment and the business covers the installation and operations cost...
Generally, for locations that include L2 charging installed alongside the superchargers, the property business is responsible for the electricity on the L2s. Tesla does throw in the hardware and installation for free, though. A possible exception where Tesla would pay for the L2 electricity may be in instances where the superchargers are on publicly owned lands/lots, access being granted by the local government, and they require universally accessible charging in some respect to be part of the agreement.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
7AA7E62C-77A2-4A90-89F5-4C680223A87D.jpeg
Looks like destination chargers are activated now. Set at 28 amps.

B6F2F196-C0B0-4E2E-8ACC-72A4036D7A7B.jpeg

28 amps? Odd choice for output. Although there looks to be quite a bit of voltage drop even at that low setting so maybe they had to have it set to that to avoid issues.

Then again 28amps at 240v works out to 6,720 watts on paper. That's about the same as 32amps at 208v (6,656 watts). 208v is more typical in a commercial setting like a mall, so I'm surprised these are 240.

/edit. Although your battery is almost completely full in that image. Full to the point where even on AC charging you might be into the taper, hence the lower power setting.

Reactions: Guvnah
Then again 28amps at 240v works out to 6,720 watts on paper. That's about the same as 32amps at 208v (6,656 watts). 208v is more typical in a commercial setting like a mall, so I'm surprised these are 240.
The L2 chargers get their power from the supercharger installation which is 480Y/277V, not from the general mall service. So, I assume they have their own step down transformer as part of that to provide 240. Otherwise, it would have been 277V, which Teslas can take--but don't really love--and, so far as I know, every other make can't. So, since they had to step down anyway, no reason to have 208V.

• Informative
Reactions: Guvnah
New service center being proposed nearby, with 4 Superchargers: Tesla service center coming to Vancouver
Decent chance the supercharger stalls won't be available to the public imo. It seems that most new service centers are being built with superchargers for internal use now, which makes sense since it can be pretty annoying to get your car back at a low SOC and it's rather burdensome for the SC employees to have to manage a bunch of cars on HPWCs.

I might be moving into the area in a coming months and I recently put in an order for M3 SR+. Since there doesn't seem to be any Tesla stores/showrooms around Vancouver, would I have to end up having to pick it up in the Seattle area or picking it up in Portland, Oregon? Or would home-delivery be an option if a Tesla employee drove it over from Portland to Vancouver?

I might be moving into the area in a coming months and I recently put in an order for M3 SR+. Since there doesn't seem to be any Tesla stores/showrooms around Vancouver, would I have to end up having to pick it up in the Seattle area or picking it up in Portland, Oregon? Or would home-delivery be an option if a Tesla employee drove it over from Portland to Vancouver?
You would take delivery at the Macadam service/delivery center in Portland. Roughly 20 minutes from Vancouver depending on traffic.

Reactions: mergedlayers
You would take delivery at the Macadam service/delivery center in Portland. Roughly 20 minutes from Vancouver depending on traffic.
Thanks for the response!

And the sales tax would still be based on Clark County's sales tax rate? 7.7%, correct and I'd be able to get that $2000 tax discount I've been hearing about? (Sorry if that's a dumb questions. Just wanted to make sure!)

Thanks for the response!

And the sales tax would still be based on Clark County's sales tax rate? 7.7%, correct and I'd be able to get that $2000 tax discount I've been hearing about? (Sorry if that's a dumb questions. Just wanted to make sure!)

Yes, you would have to go into Portland. I live east of Vancouver and it is a pain to go into the service center in Portland (same place as the delivery center), but it's doable. If you're in Vancouver it's much easier. For service some things can be done by the mobile ranger mechanics who do the fixes in your driveway. They've been out to the house a few times. There are rumors Tesla is building a new Service Center on Fourth Plain in Vancouver. There is some large EV shop going in and the architectural renderings show Teslas around the building with superchargers out front.

When I bought my Model S the service center/delivery center was in an industrial park further south than it is now. Going there required planning to get around rush hour traffic.

The sales tax rates vary quite a bit. Unincorporated Clark County is 7.7%, but Vancouver itself is 8.5%. Many other cities in the county are 8.4%. Most of King County (Seattle) is over 10% now. There is a state sales tax exemption for the first $25K of the purchase price of an EV that goes down to $20K August 1.
Details are here:
Clean alternative fuel and plug-in hybrid vehicles - sales/use tax exemptions | Washington Department of Revenue

State sales tax tables here
https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/forms/ExcsTx/LocSalUseTx/LSUFlyer_21_Q3.pdf

The Portland SC/delivery center delivers a lot of cars to people living in SW Washington so they know all the Washington rules and tax rates. If you buy a car from a dealer in Oregon (Tesla counts as a dealer for this) you get charged the tax rate for where you live in Washington. If you buy a car in Washington, you get charged the local tax rate wherever you make the purchase. The city of Longview kept their city tax rate low for a long time to encourage sales tax tourism. My partner bought her Subaru there and saved several hundred on the sales tax.