Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got done charging at 118 kW...charger 4a....THANK YOU TESLA!!!! And saw and sat in the Model 3 in Bellevue on Saturday...Great car
4183C874-2959-4208-9D31-27A036C7F4C0.jpeg
F7D25CAA-79FB-448C-9F1A-FF5D8B754FC3.jpeg
929758BE-92AE-4D22-9839-5598F9DEC2A9.jpeg

VANCOUVER IS ON LINE! I was picking up a book at the library and a tech was pulling the yellow caution tape from each supercharger. He said it was tested and on line! He replaced a defective 1,200 amp main breaker to make it operational.
View attachment 280018

I may have met that tech in California in 2016 at the Manteca supercharger. Tesla was moving him to Vancouver, WA in a month to support NW superchargers. He had just been up here house hunting. I guess this will be his home town supercharger.

You wouldn't think something like that would be tested before shipping. An electrician dropped a piece of sheet metal in an MCC at work running 13.2KV and blew a 10,000 amp breaker! It was replaced rather that just "reset". He was replaced too.

Many years ago I worked with someone who had been a calibration tech for the Navy for many years. He had a lot of stories. He said once they shipped some giant capacitors cross country on a flatbed truck. The capacitors had shorting bars on them so they didn't get charged up from static electricity. When they got the capacitors he found one of the shorting bars had fallen off and without thinking he went to put it back on. Fortunately he was only holding the bar from one end when it made contact. He said the bar between the two terminals vaporized in a giant flash. He fortunately got away with only a few minor burns from bits of molten metal flying around.

I may have met that tech in California in 2016 at the Manteca supercharger. Tesla was moving him to Vancouver, WA in a month to support NW superchargers. He had just been up here house hunting. I guess this will be his home town supercharger.

This guy was from the electrical contractor AKD? that built the installation, not from Tesla. Not sure how he tested it with his Chevy pickup. Probably have a test module of some sort to confirm voltage and communication.

VANCOUVER IS ON LINE! I was picking up a book at the library and a tech was pulling the yellow caution tape from each supercharger. He said it was tested and on line! He replaced a defective 1,200 amp main breaker to make it operational.
View attachment 280018
AWESOME! I will be near there in an hour or so and will charge plug in the Black Beauty just so I can say I have done it! Thanks!!!

Reactions: melindav
Charged there this morning. Had quite a scare by missing an exit. Taking it easy made it with 3%. Interestingly the kw fluctuated between 0 and 12 for a good 15mins. Called support and while I was on the phone with them the charge began to ramp up. Most likely low SOC and 34 degrees OT was the culprit and the battery needed a trickle charge first. Ended up with a solid 95kw/320mi before temper

Charged there this morning. Had quite a scare by missing an exit. Taking it easy made it with 3%. Interestingly the kw fluctuated between 0 and 12 for a good 15mins. Called support and while I was on the phone with them the charge began to ramp up. Most likely low SOC and 34 degrees OT was the culprit and the battery needed a trickle charge first. Ended up with a solid 95kw/320mi before temper

How far had you come from? Battery size and SoC? It's 160 miles from Downtown Seattle to this charger.

B.t.w., "temper" is a thing you do with metal...or with anything if you're in a bad mood. "Taper" is what superchargers do when the battery is more than half full.

-Snortybartfast

How far had you come from? Battery size and SoC? It's 160 miles from Downtown Seattle to this charger.

B.t.w., "temper" is a thing you do with metal...or with anything if you're in a bad mood. "Taper" is what superchargers do when the battery is more than half full.

-Snortybartfast

Maybe @Kuhz had the heater cranked to max and/or was driving like a bat out of hell? He/she may also have been returning to Seattle from somewhere and skipped the last supercharger to stretch it to Vancouver.

FYI - here's what charging speed over time looks like for a Supercharger. This is my Model S going from 10% charge to 95% charge in about an hour. The temperature was around 60 degrees F, and temperature does affect your charging speed. If it's ~80 degrees F or warmer, the Model S will have to cool the battery, and the charging power drops down to around 60 kW. I haven't measured cold weather effects yet.

I generated this graph using data from FlexCharging, a smart charging app available on iPhone.

Attachments

• Burlington Supercharger trip 2 from start time.png
    Burlington Supercharger trip 2 from start time.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
FYI - here's what charging speed over time looks like for a Supercharger. This is my Model S going from 10% charge to 95% charge in about an hour. The temperature was around 60 degrees F, and temperature does affect your charging speed. If it's ~80 degrees F or warmer, the Model S will have to cool the battery, and the charging power drops down to around 60 kW. I haven't measured cold weather effects yet.

I generated this graph using data from FlexCharging, a smart charging app available on iPhone.
One thing you can always predict about Supercharging speed is that you can't predict Supercharging speed.