TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger Vandalism

Discussion in 'North America' started by napabill, Sep 27, 2014.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

Just finished a drive from Napa to Vancouver and encountered two SC sites with vandalism. At Mt Shasta the Tesla signs have been stolen. And at Grants Pass some idiot has spray painted the standards, see below (hopefully)
    Grants Pass.jpg

Guess this means Tesla has arrived.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

If that's all the vandalism they'll see, Tesla should happy.

3. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

I've seen that some chargepoint chargers have had the cables cut for the copper. I guess it's good that Teska uses short cords...

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Those SpC bases (???) look as though they also would serve extremely well as guillotines.

Just sayin'......

5. rrosenbl

rrosenbl Member

I haven't witnessed any vandalism at the 9 California supercharger stations I've visited. The only damage was repeated hits to the solar cover at the Tejon ranch charging station, people can't seem to keep ther Winnebagos away from the SW corner.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I saw both those last week as well and emailed the Supercharger team.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Any Tesla owners members of the Crip gang? I'd stay away from that location!

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Don't agree. Vandalistic actions starts from little things like this and then get bigger and bigger. IMO Tesla should monitor SCs with cameras and sue anybody doing vandalistic actions of any kind. We should remember that SCs are common goods and that vandalistic actions will hit all of us.

10. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

They were not there when we went north in Late July. I had also noticed that some of the signs, including the posts, had been removed at Corning.

I suspect these were removed by property, not vandalism.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Cameras. Need cameras. Motor home =car, my arse.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a big difference between destructive and non-destructive vandalism. Taking signs can be because people think the signs are cool and they want them. Tagging is boasting, although ironic since it's considered low graffiti. Neither of those actions necessarily signal a destructive personality. They can actually suggest a positive aspiration towards the target.

12. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Tagging is sure as hell destructive. I had a house on the corner of a main road, with a big brick wall along the main road to cut down noise and dirt. It became a target for taggers, and I had to regularly spend a lot of money to remove the graffiti; I was even ordered to by the local council! It definitely dropped the property value.

13. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

The San Juan Capistrano supercharger location had its tesla parking signs stolen right when the site first opened
    I'm shocked that tesla hasn't replaced them yet.

This location is a bank parking lot. I'm sure there's cameras... Just saying...

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

You have a very different definition of destructive to me and I think the council order was ridiculous.

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I vote Best Post goes to mine, above.
    Now let's move on, or this thread's going nowhere, fast.

16. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Two separate Model S owners told the contractor at SJC during construction that they would take the signs as soon as they were put up...Sure enough, the signs disappeared quickly. Last time I was there, there was more than 2 missing...

Tesla could put the signs on their web store and maybe that would satisfy the owners who want one. Otherwise, if I were Tesla, I wouldn't quickly replace the signs. They're for the driver's benefit, keeping gas cars at bay somewhat....No skin off Tesla's nose if they don't get replaced, so why should they keep replacing signs and paying for the labor to put new ones up? It just saddens me that Tesla owners would take the signs and diminish the Supercharging experience for the rest of the owners...

17. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Why would somebody who can afford a Tesla commit a crime to steal one of these signs, when very nice replicas are available on this forum (and hence via a Google search)?

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Off the top of my head...
    Some people don't want replicas. Some people like stealing. Some people are stupid.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

How do you know it was Tesla owners?

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

He's assuming that the people mentioned below were thieves rather than liars.