TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Vaughan, ON

Discussion in 'Canada Supercharger locations' started by mociaf9, Dec 11, 2018.

1. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

New Supercharger to be installed at SmartCentres - Vaughan Northwest.

Looks like a site with 8 supercharger stalls of the "traditional" 120 kW-type is under development for installation in Vaughan, ON. The most recent public activity I could find on the project was the approval of an application for a minor zoning variance on 2018-11-01 [PDF warning; page 11] (relevant image attached). "Relief from the by-law is being requested to permit the construction of a proposed Tesla charging station and ancillary equipment."

While the street address for the project is back near the Walmart, the actual install is planned to be facing on to Major MacKenzie Drive in the location that I dropped the pin in the google map hyperlinked below (via the address), i.e. between the Buffalo Wild Wings and the CIBC bank branch.

Address: 3600 Major MacKenzie Drive West
    City: Vaughan, Ontario
    GPS: 43.845558, -79.555807
    -----------

Given that they only received the zoning approval on November 1st and that, as a condition of that approval, they still needed to update and submit/resubmit some additional site development plans (i.e. landscaping, etc.), I doubt that this site will have gotten to an actual building permit yet. It's still possible, though unlikely, that they'll find something else that they need a different variance for and have to go back to the Committee of Adjustment for a different approval. So, taken all together, I wouldn't expect any construction to begin here until some time after New Years. Especially as futzing around doing construction and getting in everyone's way in a mall parking lot right before Christmas seems like a terrible idea to me. And given the weather challenges this time of year, it may end up being some time in spring/summer 2019 before we get a groundbreaking. But anyone in the area should definitely swing by to actually check. I'm not infallible and stranger things have happened.

@BlueShift

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

I noticed. I mean really? It's so close to another one across the 400. Surely they could have placed one in Brampton or London instead?

3. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

A first in Canada! Love this guy!

4. MarcoRP

If this was or is installed before next week, it could’ve been an escape for Vaughan Mills Xmas shopping E9C50A26-8DAD-4BEB-80C3-1DC3D55E0C73.png

5. puzz1ed

puzz1ed Member

They probably see a need to support cottage goers coming in and out of the city.

6. rpm001

rpm001 Member

Not going to complain because more SC is always better. Seems super-close to Vaughn Mills. But VM is a nightmare a lot of the time. Especially weekends and xmas time. And still a fair amount of ice'ing going on there. This new site would be more convenient for those heading up the 400. More more more!

7. MarcoRP

Finally a Vaughan Supercharger that’s in Vaughan! :p

• Like x 1
  8. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

More like down the 400!

9. bijan

bijan Member

Both superchargers are pretty much in the middle of Vaughan, and really close to each other.

Map of Vaughan:
    Google Maps

10. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Wow....literally next exit over on the 400...what is that 2km? Record proximity of superchargers? I'm shocked, its not like its any closer to any major highway intersection (i.e. 407 or 401). Makes no sense for the chosen location.

Also surprised they're only doing 8.

I was at Vaughan Mills yesterday, believe it or not there was a line up waiting for superchargers, every single spot was taken (100% use of capacity!)

11. Avronp

Avronp Member

awesome - Vaughan will become the Tesla capital of the north :)

12. MarcoRP

Umm... shopping season?

13. wayner

wayner Active Member

The Concord SC is also in Vaughan.
    Barrie has had a stranglehold on that tiitle.

14. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

.....well, @Mr. PlugShare is referring to the long argument about the Concord SC. Yes it is in Vaughan, but OLD locals (like me) who grew up in the area, would have never referred any place in Concord, as Vaughan. The "no-mans land" between Concord and Woodbridge (the original villages) was known as Vaughan, so the new Vaughan SC would fit in that box.....

...although if it was the other side of the 400, we would have called it Maple.....

15. Avronp

Avronp Member

new supercharger will be just north of new service centre 48,500 sqft of Floor Area for Tesla at Google Maps

16. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Wait what? They're opening a service centre in the old sears building?

17. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Post in the Canadian Stores and Services Centers Thread giving the info: Canadian Stores and Service Centers

18. Bluewish

Bluewish Member

Weird! There will be 3 SCs within 6km along hwy 400 @ Hwy 7, Rutherford and Major Mac. I would prefer that Tesla spends money to extend the network to the east or north.

• Like x 1
  19. wayner

wayner Active Member

Where's the third Supercharger? I wouldn't assume that they are putting a publicly accessible Supercharger at the Service Centre.

20. MarcoRP

Would you guys think the one in north Vaughan is under construction now? I’m at Vaughan Mills now and might scout it out. (Maybe...)