Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vaughan, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
New Supercharger to be installed at SmartCentres - Vaughan Northwest.

Looks like a site with 8 supercharger stalls of the "traditional" 120 kW-type is under development for installation in Vaughan, ON. The most recent public activity I could find on the project was the approval of an application for a minor zoning variance on 2018-11-01 [PDF warning; page 11] (relevant image attached). "Relief from the by-law is being requested to permit the construction of a proposed Tesla charging station and ancillary equipment."

While the street address for the project is back near the Walmart, the actual install is planned to be facing on to Major MacKenzie Drive in the location that I dropped the pin in the google map hyperlinked below (via the address), i.e. between the Buffalo Wild Wings and the CIBC bank branch.

Address: 3600 Major MacKenzie Drive West
City: Vaughan, Ontario
GPS: 43.845558, -79.555807
-----------

Given that they only received the zoning approval on November 1st and that, as a condition of that approval, they still needed to update and submit/resubmit some additional site development plans (i.e. landscaping, etc.), I doubt that this site will have gotten to an actual building permit yet. It's still possible, though unlikely, that they'll find something else that they need a different variance for and have to go back to the Committee of Adjustment for a different approval. So, taken all together, I wouldn't expect any construction to begin here until some time after New Years. Especially as futzing around doing construction and getting in everyone's way in a mall parking lot right before Christmas seems like a terrible idea to me. And given the weather challenges this time of year, it may end up being some time in spring/summer 2019 before we get a groundbreaking. But anyone in the area should definitely swing by to actually check. I'm not infallible and stranger things have happened.

@BlueShift

Attachments

• Supercharger- Vaughan, ONT Variance approval 2018_11_01.png
    Supercharger- Vaughan, ONT Variance approval 2018_11_01.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Vaughan Supercharger_map.png
    Vaughan Supercharger_map.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 106
New Supercharger to be installed at SmartCentres - Vaughan Northwest.

Looks like a site with 8 supercharger stalls of the "traditional" 120 kW-type is under development for installation in Vaughan, ON. The most recent public activity I could find on the project was the approval of an application for a minor zoning variance on 2018-11-01 [PDF warning; page 11] (relevant image attached). "Relief from the by-law is being requested to permit the construction of a proposed Tesla charging station and ancillary equipment."

While the street address for the project is back near the Walmart, the actual install is planned to be facing on to Major MacKenzie Drive in the location that I dropped the pin in the google map hyperlinked below (via the address), i.e. between the Buffalo Wild Wings and the CIBC bank branch.

Address: 3600 Major MacKenzie Drive West
City: Vaughan, Ontario
GPS: 43.845558, -79.555807
-----------

Given that they only received the zoning approval on November 1st and that, as a condition of that approval, they still needed to update and submit/resubmit some additional site development plans (i.e. landscaping, etc.), I doubt that this site will have gotten to an actual building permit yet. It's still possible, though unlikely, that they'll find something else that they need a different variance for and have to go back to the Committee of Adjustment for a different approval. So, taken all together, I wouldn't expect any construction to begin here until some time after New Years. Especially as futzing around doing construction and getting in everyone's way in a mall parking lot right before Christmas seems like a terrible idea to me. And given the weather challenges this time of year, it may end up being some time in spring/summer 2019 before we get a groundbreaking. But anyone in the area should definitely swing by to actually check. I'm not infallible and stranger things have happened.

@BlueShift
A first in Canada! Love this guy!

Not going to complain because more SC is always better. Seems super-close to Vaughn Mills. But VM is a nightmare a lot of the time. Especially weekends and xmas time. And still a fair amount of ice'ing going on there. This new site would be more convenient for those heading up the 400. More more more!

Reactions: RedOctober
Wow....literally next exit over on the 400...what is that 2km? Record proximity of superchargers? I'm shocked, its not like its any closer to any major highway intersection (i.e. 407 or 401). Makes no sense for the chosen location.

Also surprised they're only doing 8.

I was at Vaughan Mills yesterday, believe it or not there was a line up waiting for superchargers, every single spot was taken (100% use of capacity!)

Wow....literally next exit over on the 400...what is that 2km? Record proximity of superchargers? I'm shocked, its not like its any closer to any major highway intersection (i.e. 407 or 401). Makes no sense for the chosen location.

Also surprised they're only doing 8.

I was at Vaughan Mills yesterday, believe it or not there was a line up waiting for superchargers, every single spot was taken (100% use of capacity!)
Umm... shopping season?

The Concord SC is also in Vaughan.

.....well, @Mr. PlugShare is referring to the long argument about the Concord SC. Yes it is in Vaughan, but OLD locals (like me) who grew up in the area, would have never referred any place in Concord, as Vaughan. The "no-mans land" between Concord and Woodbridge (the original villages) was known as Vaughan, so the new Vaughan SC would fit in that box.....

...although if it was the other side of the 400, we would have called it Maple.....