Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Victoria, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree for my purposes, corpus should be destination charging. But currently there isn't much available.

Coming from Austin, so a quick boost on the way into and out of town would be perfect.

Victoria is too far east. Round trip from San Marcos is tight with around corpus driving.

Likely would attempt to find a place with destination charging as primary method. SpC as the backup.

Underway! It started raining hard after I took these, will try to get some better photos tomorrow on my way back to Houston

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Stopped by on my way back from Robstown. While rainy, the weather was much nicer today. The rain was so bad on the drive down that what's normally a 3 hour drive took 4 1/2 hours.

There was a guy working today, but he wouldn't say anything beyond "contractors have been fired for saying anything, check Tesla's site for info". Wouldn't even say when they'd started.

Took a nice panoramic photo but wasn't able to upload it on the road. Now that I'm home I see it was a 14 MB file, so I suspect it was too large of an attachment. Resized it so I could upload it:
IMG_6601.jpg

My S2000 sure looks tiny next to the black pickup :)

The worker was taking out the boards used to frame the concrete slab. He seemed very disappointed that they'd been "found out", so I purposely avoided getting him in the photos.
IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

That crappy McDonald's used to be within the Valero gas station building, taking up side away from 59 which is to the right in this photo. You can see their old drive thru window if you look closely. Perhaps their service has improved now that they're in a brand new stand-alone building, but I didn't feel like giving them yet another chance today.
IMG_6599.jpg

Last edited:
So, my options while charging are Valero and McDonalds? Ugh! Anything else in the area?

There's not much along 59 in Victoria, the only other thing I recall seeing for food was a Subway a mile or two away on the north bound side of the highway. There wasn't a hotel by the Subway, so the current location is better for people on longer trips that might need to stop for the night.

The La Quinta looked new, and there was another hotel behind the McDonalds, so we'll probably see more options crop up as the conversion of Highway 59 into Interstate 69 proceeds.

There's not much along 59 in Victoria, the only other thing I recall seeing for food was a Subway a mile or two away on the north bound side of the highway. There wasn't a hotel by the Subway, so the current location is better for people on longer trips that might need to stop for the night.

The La Quinta looked new, and there was another hotel behind the McDonalds, so we'll probably see more options crop up as the conversion of Highway 59 into Interstate 69 proceeds.
People who need to stop for the night need destination charging, not a supercharger. I'd rather see the superchargers placed where there are services, but I know sometimes they're put in hotel parking lots because that's where the available space is. If anyone does stay overnight they should not stay plugged into the supercharger overnight though.

People who need to stop for the night need destination charging, not a supercharger. I'd rather see the superchargers placed where there are services, but I know sometimes they're put in hotel parking lots because that's where the available space is. If anyone does stay overnight they should not stay plugged into the supercharger overnight though.

Agreed. I want SC to be near a decent restaurant with super clean restrooms.

(I'd hope that there would be a rule to not occupy a stall when not charging.)

If anyone does stay overnight they should not stay plugged into the supercharger overnight though.

Doesn't that go without saying? While I don't have a Tesla yet, I figured that was etiquette.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I want SC to be near a decent restaurant with super clean restrooms.

Up until the McDonalds relocated into the stand alone building, the only two restaurant options along 59 in Victoria were located within gas stations. In theory the McDonalds and La Quinta, both being new, should have decent restrooms. That Valero though, not so much.

Perhaps they should have built it in Edna, there's better options where 59 crosses 111.

Last edited:
So, my options while charging are Valero and McDonalds? Ugh! Anything else in the area?

4 minutes (2.2 Miles) for a good one.

As I related earlier from my Locals,
"..other side [of Laurent St.] is Bus-route and UPS customers.
Taco Express ;( ... is just up Laurent.. They need a small Taco-Deli or sandwich shop near to LaQuinta... but Mumphord's Place Restaurant further into town has excellent Pit BBQ Chicken..
"

So... run up the road and bring the BBQ back to the Supercharger! Note the Squinty Frowny Smiley by the "Taco Express" mention. That can't be good.

Mumphord's Place BBQ - TripAdvisor

And another option, farther but an expert endorsement:

"On the other side of town out 87 near Nursery is also the Best BBQ in the Crossroads IMHO- KB's
Live Music - Bluegrass and Rock - Thursday Nites!
Tell Kevin or Mrs. Broll that 'Chile-Bob sent ya'!"

KB's BBQ - TripAdvisor

Texas Monthly's report:
By this time, my mood needed a lift, and, happily, it got one after the first bite of KB’s brisket. Wildly smoky, the two lean slices had about eighth-of-an-inch rosy-red smoke ring capped by a thinnish mahogany crust. I wouldn’t call this crust “bark” exactly, because it wasn’t that thick and it didn’t dominate the experience, but it had plenty of flavor and the close-textured meat was tender, if not exactly falling apart. I feel sure that having it closer to 11 o’clock would have upped the melt-in-your-mouth quotient quite a bit. I tried to identify an interesting and elusive sharp taste in the crust (I initially thought maybe lemon pepper, but they confirmed it was a Cajun seasoning), but it might have just been the heavy mesquite smoke.

Poking around the box with my little plastic fork, I unearthed the other two meats I had ordered: pork ribs and a pork chop...

Today's menu, they update it on their Facebook Page:
KBfacebook.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like my best bet is to get something to-go and then eat it in my car while charging (the BBQ place sounds nice) or bring a deck of cards. Either way, I'm good.

I'll go ahead and mention, the hotel that hosts the Columbus, TX Supercharger station was very nice and accommodating during my last trip. We went inside to use the bathroom but were invited to snack on the muffins, coffee, and other items they had in their breakfast area. Perhaps the Victoria hotel will be similarly accommodating.

Sounds like my best bet is to get something to-go and then eat it in my car while charging (the BBQ place sounds nice) or bring a deck of cards. Either way, I'm good.

I'll go ahead and mention, the hotel that hosts the Columbus, TX Supercharger station was very nice and accommodating during my last trip. We went inside to use the bathroom but were invited to snack on the muffins, coffee, and other items they had in their breakfast area. Perhaps the Victoria hotel will be similarly accommodating.

No need to eat in your car...

Use the app and watch your state of charge. It will even remind you when you get to 90%. Then head on down the road, or move your car in a reasonable amount of time, sooner if the Supercharger is crowded. Being polite and considerate does not mean that you have to be obsessive...