Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vienna, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We may be seeing the beginnings of a tipping point where it's not about finding potential host sites and hosts willing to tolerate a set of charging stations in their parking lots, but of hosts that are starting to see the economic benefit of hosting a charging station and are tripping over themselves to not be left behind.

For these connivence stores it has got to be a huge percentage of people who stop to charge come in and buy something but I would love to see a study on it.

Virginia has a _ton_ of condos and renters as well with no access to charging at home. It _may_ become commonplace to just supercharge weekly or bi-weekly like gassing up. l’d be leery of it myself with todays batteries but I don’t think we are far off from getting cells which can sustain the peak rates much longer and have less of an impact from it. All patents and research point to YES.

For these connivence stores it has got to be a huge percentage of people who stop to charge come in and buy something but I would love to see a study on it.
As our friend @Reddy Kilowatt reminded us yesterday, it takes about a half-million $$ in equipment to build one of these. While we all see benefits, there is a cost (most born by Tesla??), so doubt they will be sprinkled around like candy. But yep, no coincidence that Wawa, Sheetz, Royal Farms, etc embrace their Tesla partnership.

As our friend @Reddy Kilowatt reminded us yesterday, it takes about a half-million $$ in equipment to build one of these. While we all see benefits, there is a cost (most born by Tesla??), so doubt they will be sprinkled around like candy. But yep, no coincidence that Wawa, Sheetz, Royal Farms, etc embrace their Tesla partnership.

Tesla has a very lean operation when it comes to fueling/charging vehicles. The equipment and installation aren't cheap, but Tesla builds most of the equipment themselves, keeping costs down. They also get most of their property for free or nearly-free, with the exception of locations like Kettleman City, CA.

Compared to a traditional gas station with huge overhead costs like building, property, taxes, staff, maintenance and environmental compliance and I think you'll see that EV charging is a pretty sweet deal. I expect to see Superchargers sprinkled around at all of the major shopping centers in the US, particularly in populations centers. Take San Francisco, LA and the I-95 corridor through New England as an example.

Reactions: YYZ-IAD
as @theflyer said, Vienna is going to be a busy one. I was over there at about 10am on Saturday - about 80% occupancy with lots of in and outs.

And Wawa is busy too (grand opening free coffee still in effect). You know what that means? ICEing.

IMG_6039.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I drove by on Saturday July 18 afternoon and took some pictures and posted them. There are three charges next to each other and then five chargers about 10 or 15 feet away from the 3 chargers. When I was there there’s just one tesla charging in the other seven slots were open. It was around 2:30 on a very sunny and extremely hot day - 100 Fahrenheit

August 7th 7:54 pm

1st time charging in Vienna.

Pedestal 1B dead.
Pedestal 1C could not get above 25kW
Pedestal 1D peaked at 38kW.
Hot battery. Jist drove up from Waldorf Md. 45 miles of range prior to pluging in.

I would say the 1(x) pedestals all have issues.
I

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and vdiv
win a Tesla at Vienna? Not very clear where the winner will be selected. Will add 7 more charging sites this year, All Tesla also not clear.

Wawa is giving away a Tesla Model 3 to celebrate its 500,000th EV customer

“Virginia residents have a chance to win a three-year Tesla lease as part of a sweepstakes announced by Wawa on Tuesday. The contest was announced at Wawa's new Vienna location as part of National Drive Electric week.

From 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 29 through 10 a.m. on Monday, Oct. 26, residents can enter the giveaway online for a three-year lease of a Tesla Model 3. There is limit of one entry per person, and entrants must prove Virginia residency and be available to complete lease paperwork and participate in live prize presentation during the week of Oct. 26.”

Enter here:
Convenience Store, Food Market, Coffee Shop & Fuel Station | Wawa

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller