Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Virginia Beach, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Hi all.

Just found a permit for a “Tesla Charging Station” at a Wawa in Virginia Beach (2501 Virginia Beach Blvd).

The permit valuation is $65000, and the work will be done by Leading Edge Services. The permit was filed a year ago today, and is still listed as active. Will add on Supercharge Info!
@Lanny

2C7C5E99-710D-46E2-A528-2F7471D2A22B.jpeg

Wow, someone finally found it! Hopefully it goes in this year. Was hoping it would be at the Wawa just a little closer to the shore, but more space at this one so probably works better.

VAB.jpg

This is only 11 miles from Norfolk charger but is much needed. In the few times I have used Norfolk it is busy and slow. Last week one of the chargers wasn't working. One of my sessions was mostly at 33kW and the second time I used one that kept stopping charge after a moment (it worked after re-plugging about 6+ times, would have moved but it was full except for broken one). So hoping VAB can get installed before I am back in town!

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson
Back in April, a rep at the VB service center told me construction would be finished by "end of summer." As we all know, there could be a significant further delay before it's actually juiced up and running. I wouldn't count on it before New Year's.

I've known this was going to be the site since that conversation and have been checking occasionally to see if there are any signs of construction. Nothing as of last week.

Wow, someone finally found it! Hopefully it goes in this year. Was hoping it would be at the Wawa just a little closer to the shore, but more space at this one so probably works better.

The rep actually told me the location WAS going to be at the WaWa at First Colonial/VB Blvd (the location closer to the shore mentioned above), so this is a bit confusing. (That's also the location I've been checking)

The rep actually told me the location WAS going to be at the WaWa at First Colonial/VB Blvd (the location closer to the shore mentioned above), so this is a bit confusing. (That's also the location I've been checking)
Didn’t find a single permit related to Tesla/EV Charging at that location. I would have at least expected one if there is actually going to be something built there

Back in April, a rep at the VB service center told me construction would be finished by "end of summer." As we all know, there could be a significant further delay before it's actually juiced up and running. I wouldn't count on it before New Year's.

I've known this was going to be the site since that conversation and have been checking occasionally to see if there are any signs of construction. Nothing as of last week.

It's the same company out of Roanoke that has been doing electrify America and Tesla installs all over Virginia.

Once Farmville gets lit up, that will probably free up a crew. Although, that one only appears to be waiting on either Tesla or Dominion.

I noticed this location is pretty close to the Tesla service center near Lynnhaven mall. I wonder if the choice of location had something to do with that.
Personally I think closer to the shore would have made much more sense

as someone who used to live in the area, you honestly don't want to be any closer than Birdneck. full speed Superchargers are meant to facilitate pass-through travel. VA Beach isn't really a pass-through...you don't go to the Oceanfront on your way to somewhere else.

the permitted location is in a good spot for locals and tourists, without making you go too far into the crowded oceanfront and its traffic.

Disagree, that's all well and good.

But do this: when Corona is over, try getting to the oceanfront from the birdneck exit of 264 and into a parking space in under 30 minutes.....

With a low state of charge.

A full supercharger, so no open spots...

And do it all without running a foul of Virginia Beach's anti-cruising law.

Edit:

Logistically, it's not worth wasting 45 minutes to drive that last mile, to charge for 30 minutes, then have to find another spot to park your car.

That area is perfect for destination charging (of which there is already plenty) or arguably an urban supercharger.

NOT a v3.

Last edited: