Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Visalia, CA #2 (under construction May 2022, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by ABRP, I can't make sense of how this can possibly be the case. When I use ABRP it tells me I could make it from 100% at Kettlemen city, through the entrance near three rivers, all the way to the end of kings canyon, and back to Fresno to charge with 16% left. What do you think the major decrepency is due to? could ABRP really be THAT off?

ABRP is usually pretty accurate for me, provided that I enter my cars consumption of .255 kWh/mi. However I seldom also just drive straight. I make a lot of stops anytime I see something of interest, so that could leave the AC running while out away from the car taking pics or at times doubling back. If the road calls for it, spirited canyon driving as well. Not mention it was screaming hot 107-113 in the central valley that day. That particular day I made a couple of stops on visalia like sitting forever in a drive through, then sitting around blasting ac while transferring pics.

And when I got into the park, I didn't exactly drive straight in and out, I did some doubling back as well. Often predicted regen doesn't regen as much due to various reasons such as faster than expected descent not extra curvy roads.

All in all I like to keep sizeable reserve as I'm not a straight and out type of person.

Just a few days ago I drove straight almost non stop from Mammoth back to Cucamonga and didn't exceed the speed limit more than 5 mph. The chargers were largely empty and didn't have to split power. The time and energy prediction including charging was dead on.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
ABRP is usually pretty accurate for me, provided that I enter my cars consumption of .255 kWh/mi. However I seldom also just drive straight. I make a lot of stops anytime I see something of interest, so that could leave the AC running while out away from the car taking pics or at times doubling back. If the road calls for it, spirited canyon driving as well. Not mention it was screaming hot 107-113 in the central valley that day. That particular day I made a couple of stops on visalia like sitting forever in a drive through, then sitting around blasting ac while transferring pics.

And when I got into the park, I didn't exactly drive straight in and out, I did some doubling back as well. Often predicted regen doesn't regen as much due to various reasons such as faster than expected descent not extra curvy roads.

All in all I like to keep sizeable reserve as I'm not a straight and out type of person.

Just a few days ago I drove straight almost non stop from Mammoth back to Cucamonga and didn't exceed the speed limit more than 5 mph. The chargers were largely empty and didn't have to split power. The time and energy prediction including charging was dead on.
AHHHhhh yes. That's great to hear. Yes I fully am with you with making a lot of stops. Thanks for breaking this down so well for us. If the fires let up I'm going next weekend and I want to make sure I can get in through three rivers and all the way to the end of kings canyon and back. Looks like I'll be good as long as I'm careful.

At first I thought it was kind of a waste having this one so close to Traver but even if close to each other, any superchargers increase travel options and alleviate congestion. Besides, who knows when things will actually move on to the construction phase.

Agree. Especially if the goal is to support travelers. Tulare would be a much better option that Visalia for getting from LA to Sequoia as the backtracking is less. You just cut straight up from Tulare to the 189, or you backtrack and go north through Exeter. Both better options than the far west tip of Visalia.
Maybe. Tesla builds them when they find the space. If you can find someone in those areas willing to host an SC site, get them to contact Tesla.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Man I've been eyeing this location forever now. Every time I plan a Los Angeles to Sequoia trip I get range anxiety or have to rely on 110V charging. If I could charge here it would provide much needed relief.
Construction on the 16-stall supercharger in Traver, CA is basically already finished and it will hopefully be activated soon. It's about 7.5 miles further north on 99 from the planned Visalia location (Goshen) this thread is discussing. For details see: Supercharger - Traver, CA (under construction Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

Also there's been absolutely nothing requiring you to wait for a convenient supercharger as a means of avoiding range anxiety or 120V charging. There are 5 CHAdeMO stations between Tulare and Visalia that you could use if you got an adapter or at least a dozen L2 stations in that same area. Plus one station that is right at the entrance to the park.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Also there's been absolutely nothing requiring you to wait for a convenient supercharger as a means of avoiding range anxiety or 120V charging. There are 5 CHAdeMO stations between Tulare and Visalia that you could use if you got an adapter or at least a dozen L2 stations in that same area. Plus one station that is right at the entrance to the park.

Isn't the CHAdeMO adapter like $400? And an L2 charger isn't really fast enough to service that trip, at least in my 220 at 100% mile range 3. (240 on the sticker, but I didn't get 240 even off the lot (lost the battery lottery)). You'd have to spend 4 or 5 hours outside the park. For a day trip that's a no go, for an overnight camp in the park that's a long time to spend outside the park.

I was in Visalia these past few days I thought I would check out the Betty Drive location and post a few pics.

There is a sign up for the development and the buildings seen in Google maps are now razed. Ironically across the street is a gorgeous renewable energy CNG truck fueling station. It's renewable with a pic of a cow.. cow farts? The station with it's smooth concrete and lack of traffic is great for donuts.

I am disappointed that the Visalia Supercharger isn't along the 198 for residents / visitors and more convenient for those going up to Sequoia NP. The Traver SuC is just a few miles away...

IMG_20210412_100812.jpg

IMG_20210411_212621.jpg

Construction on the 16-stall supercharger in Traver, CA is basically already finished and it will hopefully be activated soon. It's about 7.5 miles further north on 99 from the planned Visalia location (Goshen) this thread is discussing. For details see: Supercharger - Traver, CA (under construction Jul 2020, 16 V3 stalls)

I thought I would comment about Sequoia NP pre and post Traver. My previous post Supercharger - Visalia, CA (Location found, permit under review)

In June of 2020 I drove Cucamonga, Tejon Ranch to Sequoia NP. I had to wait in line at Tejon and then get near 88% charge. Up the CA-65 to Sequoia. Slow speeds conserve power. I drive around a little got back down to Visalia KOA with 8% remaining on my LR RWD 3. Charged all night on 240 VAC while sleeping inside the car with AC on. In the morning I only had 92% charge. Drove to Kings Canyon, made it near the end of the park, left and made it to Kettlemen in the teens.

Bottom line is you had to level 2 charge overnight somewhere to make multiple day camp in Sequoia pre Traver. You would also have to level 2 charge if you were to do multiple day jaunts to Sequoia. This is a pita.

10 months later, Traver is complete. Much different story. I left Cucamonga at 100% charge, skipped the queues at Tejon and Bakersfield Stockdale, at Buttonwillow I couldn't go further. Waited 10 car queue to charge on 8 stalls (2 stalls broken). Drove to Traver, topped up to 80 or 90%... Couldn't remember. Drove up to Sequoia, with plenty of charge... Never a concern. spent time up there, didn't drive around too much. Came back down charged and slept in the car at KOA visalia with 240 VAC and AC. Energy was no issues at all for a day jaunt up to Sequoia, but if I was multiple day camping, I would preferred to juice up to 90% or more and in downtown Visalia.

Traver to Visalia planned charger is 9 miles. So with Visalia betty drive your save 2 to 3% charge.

Traver to Downtown Visalia is 17 miles, so that's probably 7% charge it would save I'd it was built there. Precious on a multiple day camp or in cold climate.

Last edited:
I thought I would comment about Sequoia NP pre and post Traver. My previous post Supercharger - Visalia, CA (Location found, permit under review)

In June of 2020 I drove Cucamonga, Tejon Ranch to Sequoia NP. I had to wait in line at Tejon and then get near 88% charge. Up the CA-65 to Sequoia. Slow speeds conserve power. I drive around a little got back down to Visalia KOA with 8% remaining on my LR RWD 3. Charged all night on 240 VAC while sleeping inside the car with AC on. In the morning I only had 92% charge. Drove to Kings Canyon, made it near the end of the park, left and made it to Kettlemen in the teens.

Bottom line is you had to level 2 charge overnight somewhere to make multiple day camp in Sequoia pre Traver. You would also have to level 2 charge if you were to do multiple day jaunts to Sequoia. This is a pita.

10 months later, Traver is complete. Much different story. I left Cucamonga at 100% charge, skipped the queues at Tejon and Bakersfield Stockdale, at Buttonwillow I couldn't go further. Waited 10 car queue to charge on 8 stalls (2 stalls broken). Drove to Traver, topped up to 80 or 90%... Couldn't remember. Drove up to Sequoia, with plenty of charge... Never a concern. spent time up there, didn't drive around too much. Came back down charged and slept in the car at KOA visalia with 240 VAC and AC. Energy was no issues at all for a day jaunt up to Sequoia, but if I was multiple day camping, I would preferred to juice up to 90% or more and in downtown Visalia.

Traver to Visalia planned charger is 9 miles. So with Visalia betty drive your save 2 to 3% charge.

Traver to Downtown Visalia is 17 miles, so that's probably 7% charge it would save I'd it was built there. Precious on a multiple day camp or in cold climate.

As someone who lives in the area and travels up to Sequoia quite often I do understand but because I live close enough I can drive from my home up and back without much concern. You do know there is a Tesla Destination charger set in Three Rivers CA and I called them up once to see what the requirements were to charge and they were really about it. Adding a Supercharger in Three Rivers would be the ultimate solution and I think having one or Electrify America or EV GO is going to happen in the next year or two.

As someone who lives in the area and travels up to Sequoia quite often I do understand but because I live close enough I can drive from my home up and back without much concern. You do know there is a Tesla Destination charger set in Three Rivers CA and I called them up once to see what the requirements were to charge and they were really about it. Adding a Supercharger in Three Rivers would be the ultimate solution and I think having one or Electrify America or EV GO is going to happen in the next year or two.
It would also be nice if Sequoia offered some L2 or even L1 charging opportunities at a few of their overnight locations. I'd be willing to pay $10/hour or more for L2 up there.

Reactions: Dave EV
It would also be nice if Sequoia offered some L2 or even L1 charging opportunities at a few of their overnight locations. I'd be willing to pay $10/hour or more for L2 up there.
I 100% agree and I think it is going to become required in the next year or so 2021 and 2022 are going to be years of great EV growth and a L2 charger gets you really all you need in a few hours max.

Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia NP will let you plug in for L1 charging if needed. You can find it on Plugshare. However since they only have a couple of outdoor outlets to spare, I would only charge there if I was spending the night or really needed it. I'd imagine Wuksachi would probably be amenable to installing a proper charging station if there's enough interest in it.

Reactions: ElectricCyclist