Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waco, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured this deserved a new thread for an existing supercharger since it is now under construction for expansion (photos attached).

I stopped by Monday evening of 14-August, 2017. I was driving back to Dallas from San Marcos, Texas supercharger and noticed the Waco supercharger had a "reduced service" message on the in-car nav and it was routing me through Corsicana, Tx.

I called Tesla Support. They confirmed reduced service and I asked for more detail what that meant since I needed to charge there. They said stalls 2A and 2B were still available. I thought that was no problem for a Monday night since that location only gets busy on holidays and weekend travel days.

I was able to charge, but at reduced speed. There were 4 stalls available. The other 4 were blocked off and the wooden gates around the charger cabinets were dismantled.

Here are some photos, maybe others can explain more what it looks like they're doing. My (non-expert) opinion is that there expanding the number of stalls at the Collin Street Bakery location. No idea what will be the max number afterwards.

Overall I think this is good, but I would have preferred to have an additional location in town that had 24 hour bathrooms.

IMG_20170814_212322057.jpg
IMG_20170814_204919381.jpg
IMG_20170814_204908502.jpg
IMG_20170814_204845052.jpg
IMG_20170814_204835866.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
I recall this as currently having only six Superchargers.
And last time I was there this Summer, the stanchions looked like they were original design and installation from Sept. 2013.
And frankly in need of update or replacement.

With four towers (increase from three), and the additional cuts in the concrete, they will soon have eight current design charging Stanchions, just in time for arrival for Model 3!

Gotta Love Collin Street and their partnership with Tesla.

I recall this as currently having only six Superchargers.
And last time I was there this Summer, the stanchions looked like they were original design and installation from Sept. 2013.
And frankly in need of update or replacement.

With four towers (increase from three), and the additional cuts in the concrete, they will soon have eight current design charging Stanchions, just in time for arrival for Model 3!

Gotta Love Collin Street and their partnership with Tesla.

Waco is eight / Corsicana is six. Completely agree these are ready for an upgrade. Are they 90 kW? I can't recall.

I forgot that Waco is the second oldest Supercharger in Texas!

I've seen up to 110KW at Waco, but only for a short period. If things are going well, it hovers around 80-90KW for a while.

When I was last there it only hovered around 52-62KW (depending on stall). Not sure if reduced charging speed is related to construction.

I've seen it filled with 6 stalls once on a mid-day weekends trip (people traveling between Dallas & Austin)

Reactions: bollar
I was there in June several times, and once had to wait 20+ minutes, as all 8 stalls were full.

Wow thats interesting. I would have never imagined that would get full.

Collins Bakery did a smart job of getting those chargers installed. I spend close to $20 everytime I go there alone and much more when I drag my family. Free coffee for Tesla owners is a sure incentive.

Reactions: bollar
I have never seen more than 2 charging at a time. Not sure if there is a need to expand. Instead one in Temple, TX might help.
Temple was in the original plan in 2013. That and Hillsboro to cover the route from Austin to Dallas. Temple wouldn't approve it because of political pressure from the auto dealer cartel, that's how Waco came to be built.

Okay, I am heading there tomorrow (dropping off the youngest daughter to college once again) and am concerned about the charger. If they work, fine. If they don't, sh*t. I can handle reduced charge (I just need to get back to 160 range to get back to McKinney at normal speeds. Alternatively, I can head through Corsicana, but I don't like that idea.

I have NEVER seen more than three cars there, but perhaps market analysis points to Xs and 3s saturating the triangle in the future.

if anyone knows more, or sees a MAJOR problem in the next 16 hours, let me know. I'll check forums once more before I head south.

Okay, I am heading there tomorrow (dropping off the youngest daughter to college once again) and am concerned about the charger. If they work, fine. If they don't, sh*t. I can handle reduced charge (I just need to get back to 160 range to get back to McKinney at normal speeds. Alternatively, I can head through Corsicana, but I don't like that idea.

I have NEVER seen more than three cars there, but perhaps market analysis points to Xs and 3s saturating the triangle in the future.

if anyone knows more, or sees a MAJOR problem in the next 16 hours, let me know. I'll check forums once more before I head south.

I'll be driving to Austin from OKC this Friday and would love have an update on this too!

Okay, a bit of info:

Four of the stalls worked yesterday. I maxed out at 67kw/h - not bad. Only two stalls were accessible at a time (see the picture) but the crew said they would move if needed. Talked to contract foreman (not Tesla employee) who said they are headed to Corsicana next to expand and upgrade there. Takehome points:

1) we are getting the 120 units (or whatever the blistering electron dump speed is associated with them)
2) They are adding two stalls (to make it 10)
3) Corsicana will follow in September
4) In the absence of full stalls, this is not an impedance to travel ... may be some decreased speeds and may have to wait, but not like the day that the Corsicana one shut down due to a Backhoe.

Attachments

• IMG_8892.JPG
    IMG_8892.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 90
from your picture it looks like all 10 stalls are up and running, can't really say.

Also the throttling to 65 and subsequent increase to 96 should only happen if there was a car charging right next to yours (paired stall). Was that the case?