Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waco, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was full at 12 noon yesterday (Saturday) with 3 cars waiting primarily due to Memorial weekend traffic. The CSB manager said, weekends are very busy and some weekdays too. He seemed pretty pleased with the captive Tesla audience. CSB is a very nice place, but you can't call that as a restaurant. And there are no other eating places in any direction.

On the way back at 6 pm 5 stalls were free, and I got a very nice 100+ kWh all the way from 50 miles to 250 miles in my LR M3. I was only keen on charging upto say 175 miles or so, but in my less than 30 minutes stay I was pleasantly shocked to see I had added 200 miles. Both times I had more than enough charge before I could get back to my car.

I also visited Austin SpC just to see the location. That place is a bit odd to get in an out, All 8 stalls were busy with 4 cars waiting. But plenty of food places just across. .

Italy SC was empty with just 2 charging.

I also visited Austin SpC just to see the location. That place is a bit odd to get in an out,
I've arrived there with the only open stall at the far end, 1A. I didn't realize you couldn't turn at the end so drove down front ways and when I couldn't really turn around to get in I had to back all the way out, turn at the L2 charger, and then back all the way in and around into place down the noses of the 7 other cars.

At the very least they should simple expand the no. of chargers. There are atleast another 10 spots available, that technically no one else will use because of the very odd location.
The focus right now is getting the 18 stalls done over at Stonelake and Gateway, which hopefully will draw a lot of the local free-to-charge cars away and free up a lot of room.

At some point that location would be a prime spot for a refurbishment with the mythical V3! ;)

At the very least they should simple expand the no. of chargers. There are atleast another 10 spots available, that technically no one else will use because of the very odd location.
The new station 60 miles north on I-35W will take a lot of the pressure off of Waco, and Italy on I-35E is usually empty. People just need to get in the habit of stopping at one of those rather than Waco.

The Italy one doesn't help for folks starting from DFW to Austin. It is only around 50 odd miles. So Waco become super important. So Temple, TX would be super useful if they have one there.

On the other hand i guess folks from Austin traveling north to Dallas areas could skip Waco and leverage Italy

The new station 60 miles north on I-35W will take a lot of the pressure off of Waco, and Italy on I-35E is usually empty. People just need to get in the habit of stopping at one of those rather than Waco.
Part of this is a problem with Tesla's nav, too. Lots of people will just stop wherever the nav says, even if there's another option that's clearly being under-used based on # of available stalls. Or, as you mentioned, they'll keep going to the same place because that's where they've always gone. Creatures of habit, and all.

Reactions: XHabjab
Interestingly I was not charged by Tesla for my charge at Waco, even though I don't have free super charging.

CSB pays for it. I had the same question upthread a bit.

*cough*Creatures of CSB picking up the tab for their charging*cough*

Yep. I bet lots of people would rather wait to charge in Waco for free than stop in Italy. Though I think the food choices in Italy are also not great.

Reactions: SammichLover
And then eat cookies and croissants for dinner? Listen - CSB is a bakery with a few sandwich choices thrown in.
I believe they have some light breakfast, too?

All those options are equally bad for me, as I don’t trust Carl’s Jr. with my celiac requirements, & the other two are basically straight out. I find smell of Sonic revolting while CSB’s coffee rates high enough for “meh” & family informs me that the goods are pretty good.

Reactions: drdumont