Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wade, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read this thread a few times, but I didn’t notice until today when I created a .jpg of the site plan that it’s dated 2019. The plans proposed Tesla superchargers over 4 years ago. The Dairy Queen and gas station were built, but not the hotel (yet). I found an online article that says the DQ opened January 1, 2021.

Since there haven’t been any photos posted of the actual site I took a drive down I-95 yesterday morning and took a few shots. There’s no way to tell how long ago the power runs were done, but looking at where they pop out of the ground it appears to have been done before Tesla came up with their prefab installs. The plans show four back-in parking spaces along the northern edge of the gas staton’s parking lot, but looking at what’s sticking out of the ground, the space on the end would be a pull-in space for Teslas.

I took a photo from Pembroke Lane showing the vacant space south of the DQ that’s currently being used as tractor trailer parking. Then as I was about to turn left back onto US-13 to head back to I-95, I took a photo of the Dairy Queen and gas station from that perspective.

Attachments

• IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 45
  • PembrokeSitePlanZoomed.jpeg
    PembrokeSitePlanZoomed.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 33
  • PembrokeSite Plan.png
    PembrokeSite Plan.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9808.jpeg
    IMG_9808.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9806.jpeg
    IMG_9806.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9804.jpeg
    IMG_9804.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9803.jpeg
    IMG_9803.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: LoL-Gas
I’ve read this thread a few times, but I didn’t notice until today when I created a .jpg of the site plan that it’s dated 2019. The plans proposed Tesla superchargers over 4 years ago. The Dairy Queen and gas station were built, but not the hotel (yet). I found an online article that says the DQ opened January 1, 2021.

Since there haven’t been any photos posted of the actual site I took a drive down I-95 yesterday morning and took a few shots. There’s no way to tell how long ago the power runs were done, but looking at where they pop out of the ground it appears to have been done before Tesla came up with their prefab installs. The plans show four back-in parking spaces along the northern edge of the gas staton’s parking lot, but looking at what’s sticking out of the ground, the space on the end would be a pull-in space for Teslas.

I took a photo from Pembroke Lane showing the vacant space south of the DQ that’s currently being used as tractor trailer parking. Then as I was about to turn left back onto US-13 to head back to I-95, I took a photo of the Dairy Queen and gas station from that perspective.
There are 8 proposed stalls. 2x 4 stalls on different parts of the property. See site plans again for ref

There are 8 proposed stalls. 2x 4 stalls on different parts of the property. See site plans again for ref

I took pictures of the effort that's been done thus far, to provide some visual references as to the physical status of the site, since others who have driven by have provided written observations thus far. No one seemed to have mentioned seeing the power runs coming up from the ground at each of the four EV parking spaces near the gas station, or that one of them looks to be wired as a pull-in space as opposed to a back-in one as the site plans suggest.

I see a site plan that was originally drawn up January 8, 2019 (pre-pandemic) showing a hotel whose construction has yet to begin over 4 years later. Work on the hotel itself can't really start until the lot is no longer used as overflow parking for the Travel Center across the lane.

Of those planned 8 stalls, power runs have only been dug for 4. The spot for the other 4 is still a dirt lot.

And if you look at the site plans again, given the planned placement of the second set, the hotel would have to be fully built and parking lot paved before those other 4 EV spaces are available for use. That whole construction site would be cordoned off until the work is complete. No building contractor, nor hotel owner, is going to allow any personal EVs near that second spot until construction is done. It'd be a liability issue.

Those who've stopped to supercharge 17 miles north at the Benson, NC location in the last few months know that there's a Holiday Inn Express being built across the street from those 8 stalls. I've crossed my fingers the times I've recently stopped there for fear of a tire catching a nail.

To give some timeline reference, the Benson hotel broke ground in March and it's still under construction. Holiday Inn Express breaks ground in Benson If they broke ground in Wade tomorrow it'd be 2024 before that hotel would be completed.