Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Walnut Creek, CA (LIVE 24 Oct 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
There was a post on the SF Bay Area Model 3 Owners FB group with the picture below. This new Supercharger site is on the top level of the parking structure at the intersection of S. California Blvd. and Botelho Dr. in Walnut Creek. I did not visit the site, so I'm not 100% sure of the location.

Walnut Creek SC.jpg

Here is your complete scouting report! As JPP indicated, this an excellent location with free parking, and oodles of nearby shops and restaurants. It is quite appropriate to have "urban" style here to serve the multitude of apartment dwellers in Walnut Creek, but it also has relatively good freeway access to both I-680 and Highway 24. There are 24 chargers occupying both sides of the aisle on the California Street (west) side of the top (4th) floor of the parking garage, which has entrances from California Blvd and Locust Street. One stall is designated for handicapped. All of the signs say that it is general parking but vehicle charging is preferred - we'll see how the polite approach works, but the plethora of local Teslas will likely crowd out the ICEs anyway. The conduits from the supercharger cabinets run along the ceiling of the level below and then down the outside of the garage on the California Street side. There is a 3 sided enclosure which has the switchgear, autotransformers, and a currently empty pad for the PG&E transformer.

20191012_145523.jpg 20191012_145552.jpg 20191012_145624.jpg 20191012_145715.jpg 20191012_150212.jpg 20191012_150320.jpg 20191012_150401.jpg

Wow how did they manage to do almost all of the work on this without anybody noticing?

FWIW my money was on the Target parking lot even though it’s pretty crowded as Targets go.

Bruce.

I've been watching out for the Walnut Creek supercharger for a while but I'd never been in that garage and the Walnut Creek permit search basically requires you to know where to look. For what it's worth the permit number is B190051 but doesn't have any additional information.

I've been watching out for the Walnut Creek supercharger for a while but I'd never been in that garage and the Walnut Creek permit search basically requires you to know where to look. For what it's worth the permit number is B190051 but doesn't have any additional information.

Yeah their permit search is pretty useless for this sort of thing.

I thought I knew this garage but I wasn’t even aware there is a rooftop level. Shows what I know!

Bruce.

Reactions: ChrisJ
The Walnut Creek Target parking is kind of space limited. Even though we all know that Tesla has some kind of national arrangement with Target, they would probably have ended up with way fewer stalls, and would have had to deal with more traffic. Plus the '1 stop shopping' Target location would have offered a limited choice of food and amenities. The rooftop parking garage location offered way more stalls, and is in an upscale location with an outstanding array of dining and shopping, both at individual stores and also the Broadway Plaza shopping center. Note too that Tesla has long had a Walnut Creek store, originally where the Apple Store is now, and now located further back in the Broadway Plaza. Tesla has also long had HPWCs in a part of the Broadway Plaza garage, not open to the public, meant for test drive/demo cars, but if you were desperate you could call the Tesla Store and they would let you in to use them.