Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Walsenburg, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walsenburg.jpg

This is up on Tesla's site. Does anyone have any info or ETA yet? I'm hoping to do a Fall Break trip from Denver to Albuquerque with a stop at the Sand Dunes, and this would save me backtracking to and from Trinidad twice... In fact, I'm not even sure my 85D can make it from the Trinidad SC to the Dunes and back. Using EV Trip Planner it's very tight.

If they open the Alamosa Supercharger in time, that could work as well, if anyone has info on that one.

Last edited:
View attachment 233729

This is up on Tesla's site. Does anyone have any info or ETA yet? I'm hoping to do a Fall Break trip from Denver to Albuquerque with a stop at the Sand Dunes, and this would save me backtracking to and from Trinidad twice... In fact, I'm not even sure my 85D can make it from the Trinidad SC to the Dunes and back. Using EV Trip Planner it's very tight.

If they open the Alamosa Supercharger in time, that could work as well, if anyone has info on that one.
@MileHighMotoring , I don't know if you are planning to spend the night at Great Sand Dunes, but if you are, book a spot at the Oasis RV Park. I did this with my MX 75D and used their NEMA 14-50 to charge overnight. I was able to to this roundtrip from Monument CO without diverting to the Trinidad SC.

• Helpful
Reactions: HookBill
@MileHighMotoring , I don't know if you are planning to spend the night at Great Sand Dunes, but if you are, book a spot at the Oasis RV Park. I did this with my MX 75D and used their NEMA 14-50 to charge overnight. I was able to to this roundtrip from Monument CO without diverting to the Trinidad SC.
I'd certainly consider staying overnight but I'm not camping.. Where did you sleep?

I'd certainly consider staying overnight but I'm not camping.. Where did you sleep?
I had my 2-man backpacking tent but I arrived at 10 PM in 40 mph winds. I gave up and slept on the floor of the X in a sleeping bag. I stayed at Oasis for 1 night just to charge, then moved to a campground in the GSD National Park. The park campgrounds are much nicer, but don't have electrical hookups.
If you want to stay for the day, you could call Oasis and inquire about renting a 50 amp spot just for the day while you sightsee.

@MileHighMotoring : don't know if this would work out logistically for you, but on my recent camping trip to Lathrop State Park, just west of Walsenburg, I charged at Dakota RV. Details are on PlugShare. Definitely call first to make sure George has an open 50 amp spot for you.
Great folks. For payment it was "give me what you think it's worth."
I was able to get normal 14-50 charging rate of 26 to 27 mph (40 amp) because it's a 240 not 207 volt circuit.
RV spots at Lathrop also have power, but I was in a tent site with no hookups.
Like you, I am really looking forward to a Walsenburg Supercharger!

It's stopping me from taking this particular trip. We are only going south once in the foreseeable future, and combining Sand Dunes, Santa Fe/Albuquerque, and the Grand Canyon, and doing it over 8-9 days. If they can get Walsenburg up and running by next fall, we'll do it for fall break 2018 (which was our plan this year that I canceled).

I learned a while ago to NEVER depend on any target date that Tesla provides. For a smart guy, it amazing that Musk never learned how to tell time. They were 3 years late on the Model X, for which I had an early rez, which actually turned out to be a good thing, because I love my S and don't like the way the X turned out.

I'm also waiting for SCs to hit southeast NM (Roswell?), so I can visit Carlsbad Caverns without a campground overnight charge. Looking at the bright side of that one, I'll have my Natl Park senior pass by the time this trip is doable :)

And here we are in 2020. Any likely host sites in Walsenburg? I wonder if they might put something in Pueblo instead (seems like that might do a better job taking pressure off the busy Colorado Springs location), but perhaps they will eventually follow through with Walsenburg. I've honestly lost some faith in the "coming soon" locations, given that in many cases we know of superchargers currently under construction where Tesla didn't even bother to put a "coming soon" pin on the online map...

Walsenburg would be a good location for people driving south from Denver that don't need to stop in Colorado Springs but can't make it to Trinidad.

They really seem to be building a lot of chargers in Denver with 3 sites currently under active construction in addition to Idaho Springs being opened imminently. Hopefully the outskirts of the state will get some love.