TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Warrnambool (VIC)

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Murbs, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

They are not putting destination chargers in.

2. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

You have one eye? Are you even allowed to drive like that?

• Funny x 1
  3. srwx

srwx "perf_config": "P1"

I keep the other one as a hot standby :)

4. lennier

lennier Member

The Great Ocean Road supercharger was originally shown as Lorne but with the last update moved to Torquay, but I think it's all a bit up in the air still, given they are retaining the non-specific name.

5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

6. wpapua

wpapua Member

7. baillies

baillies Member

So are they planning a Mount Gambier supercharger too in 2018? It is the next logical one for the area.

8. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Yeah, ignore the dot location! They are mostly just indicative of the town, doesn't mean that is the exact spot!

My point was the URL... included "mountgambier".

9. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Possibly. It's the right distance from both Warrnambool and Keith.
    But it's strange that they mismatch the Warrnambool location with Mt Gambier in the address.

10. MacRocket

MacRocket Faster than Falcon 9

IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0575.jpg
    Here is the first of (I think) 4 destination chargers in the main street of Warrnambool. This one is located in a loading zone on the corner of Leibig and Lava Sts.
    I plugged in but the power is not turned on yet so not sure how many kW it is but its close to the large transformer for the street. Power being turned on is not too far off I think.
    There are other power pillars in loading zones spread up the street where the other chargers could be located. We will know for sure in a week to 10 days when the main street works are due to be finished.
    No news yet from my contacts at council re the location of the Warrnambool Superchargers. If I hear anything I will post it.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. MacRocket

Here is the second public destination charger on the corner of Lava and Liebig Sts Warrnambool.
    It's power is on, 3 phase and charged me at 88km per hour IMG_0682.jpg IMG_0683.jpg IMG_0686.jpg

• Like x 2
  12. wpapua

wpapua Member

Well done, MacRocket. We tried that same one a few days ago - no power, worker said that they had been waiting for it to be connected for months ! Emailed the WCC that night asking when it was going to be activated. Perhaps my prompting actually worked ?

13. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

The destination chargers are official!
    [Clarification - no news on the superchargers]

Warrnambool Council | Tesla

Note the dot on the map appears to be wrong - 165 Liebig St gives me a location a few blocks north of that.

14. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Noticed a mention in the council minutes, but no detail... apparently it was discussed at a councillor briefing on May 28.

However perhaps if a local wants to ask a few questions they may get an answer?

upload_2018-6-5_11-29-24.png

15. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

It's been some time and this location is still listed as Spring 2018 on Tesla's site, despite many other locations being changed to 2019 recently. That's a good sign!

There's nothing in the councils advertised applications or meeting agendas/minutes.

@wpapua - perhaps it is worth driving around looking for evidence of construction? Odds are this will be a 4-stall site.

Tesla appear to have a good relationship with the council (see the destination chargers above) so perhaps check council car parks first?

16. wpapua

wpapua Member

Chuq, refer to 'Superchargers in Australia', #427. No evidence at Flagstaff Hill yet. Second Destination Charger in Liebig Street, Corner of Lava Street, still not commissioned (after over 6 months - supposed electrical supply issues !). Will advise this forum after Council have advised me that it is 'active'.

• Informative x 1
  17. Oz Will

Oz Will Member

Hi, We are heading to Warrnambool over January. Should I assume the council will have both chargers working in time for peak tourist season, or am I being overly optimistic? Any local insights would be great as we are staying at a house, so only have a powerpoint otherwise.

18. MacRocket

I’m a Warrnambool local.
    Ben Story at Warrnambool City is the Council representative negotiating with Tesla.
    The Second Destination Charger is still waiting a meter. First one works well (80km/hour) and is not getting much use. Located on the corner of Leunig and Lava St.
    Supercharger location at Flagstaff Hill has been approved by council and agreed with Tesla (4 stalls I think). A bit of power upgrade needed so probably won’t have Superchargers till next year.
    I’ll ring him tomorrow and report back.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  19. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Thanks @wpapua and @MacRocket!

4 stall sounds correct based on other regional locations.

Interesting that they say next year - dates were updated only a few weeks ago and Warrnambool is still Spring 2018.

20. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

How odd. This just appeared on Plugshare:

upload_2018-10-26_12-3-12.png

I thought if AC chargers were being installed here, one of the locals would have mentioned it in this thread? Given the timing, just after the SC was confirmed in this thread, it could be an incorrect entry.